Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunter fatally shot near Kremmling

Accidents do happen even though a very high percentage of them are totally avoidable. I had my Remington 700 misfire twice on me in 2014 while elk hunting in MT. Both times after chambering a round getting ready to take shots on elk when I flipped the safety off the gun fired. The first time I thought I had somehow made a stupid mistake with thick gloves on. After talking to my partner in camp found out the gun had a recall. Second time it happened the hunt ended for me and the rifle went in the case on a tag I'd waited 11 years on.
All this to say you can't be safe enough with a firearm. Always keep those muzzles pointed in a safe direction and a safety is just a mechanical device and can't be trusted.

I learned to shoot with one. Didn't have any problems with it. But the reason I asked was because my wife's uncle had a 700 that misfired like what was described and I just heard the story in hunting camp this year.

This made news in Aus, i don't understand how it could ever happen. As soon as the quarry is dead if I didn't have the gun unloaded I got kicked up the arse by dad. Gun safety is a conditioned fear to me as an adult.

Of course. Had to be. Accidents don't happen with any other rifle. Send any defective 700's to me. PM for info. mtmuley
Oh even after that she got a new trigger job and it is still my go to rifle when a long range shot may be in order. That gun is money.

I had never even heard of hiking with an empty chamber until I saw it on OYOA a couple years ago, and now it’s hard to imagine doing it any other way.

The news story is a tragic reminder to always practice safe firearm handling and insist on those we hunt with to do the same.

After this story, I've been thinking that we all should carry one of those orange "panic" whistles that are insanely loud to signal if the lead starts flying. Safety should take a back seat to notching a tag. Three quick blasts should be the universal signal for "stop shooting."

After this story, I've been thinking that we all should carry one of those orange "panic" whistles that are insanely loud to signal if the lead starts flying. Safety should take a back seat to notching a tag.
Suppose that would be more logical than shooting back

Suppose that would be more logical than shooting back
I suppose so. My method avoids nasty criminal prosecution scenarios...And folks, let's not forget that our modern, expansive bullets are far more destructive than military FMJ ammo. I'd rather not be accidentally (or intentionally) hit but ball ammo can be less damaging than a Partition. Human bodies are NOT Big Game.

After this story, I've been thinking that we all should carry one of those orange "panic" whistles that are insanely loud to signal if the lead starts flying. Safety should take a back seat to notching a tag. Three quick blasts should be the universal signal for "stop shooting."
A boat air horn would probably work a bit better at getting the shooter's attention.

Following a 20 year career in law enforcement, most of it in SWAT, I became pretty particular about how fire arms are handled. It was enlightening when we started filming training and operations. Lasers dramatically emphasize when a muzzle sweeps across another’s legs.
No excuse, it was ass chewing time. High speed windows, doors, hallways and stairs, there was no acceptable excuse for lasering your partner.
Following my career I guided big game and upland birds for five years. I’m done, been told I’m just too picky about safety.
Point being, most the guys I guided were middle aged and had been hunting all their lives; 9/10 absolutely wouldn’t accept a friendly reminder to watch their muzzle or keep their safeties on.
Twice I sent guys back to the ranch house, once I took my dogs and left.
I think it’s incumbent on all of us to preach safety, don’t be an ass wipe about it but call it out when you see it. None of us want to be a party to such a tragedy.
As to the story above; I’ve seen just a couple of accidental discharges,Seen a lot of negligent discharges. Seems appropriate in almost any fire arms/ hunting case to charge Negligent homicide. All that would be required is to violate some universal accepted standard of safety.
Don’t know what happened here, last place I’d look is the press.
I agree about calling it out and I agree that 9/10 would be babies about receiving that feedback.

Some additional details here.

This is the reason why when we track an animal the lead person has a weapon and nobody else. I know sometimes you have to grid search, but multiple people in close proximity with rifles, when there’s a chance for an animal to jump and startle someone is a recipe for disaster.

I feel horrible for everyone involved in this mess.

Terrible situation.

I keep the magazine or rounds in my pocket until I'm ready to hunt or at the very least make sure there is no round in the chamber until I'm ready to hunt. Always remove the round from the chamber when not hunting. Was always taught this way since I was a kid.

Accidents happen though, absolute bummer.

Somewhat related story that happened to me my first year hunting in Montana. Stalking up to a group of mule deer outside of Norris Montana. I was about 400 yards away and the deer were coming towards me. Suddenly I hear cracking just above my head. seemed like rounds were cracking just above my head. I laid flat on my belly hoping not to take a round up the ol poop shoot. 5 shots went off then it stopped. I peeked my head up, and an old timer is standing with his lever action and plaid hat an shirt aimed in on the deer. He was a solid 200 yards from me, maybe more. I yelled out at him Hey! What the FU#$! He looked at me and bolted....

Freaking scary situation. I don't know if that guy didn't see me, which I'm not sure how he didn't with all the damn orange on, or was just a freaking idiot.

Watch your backs out there.

on the in-laws ranch in CO, we had a family friend get shot in the arm while driving his ATV across private ranch property. the shooters were on the county dirt road on public. never caught the guy who did. many surgeries were needed

Scary stuff. Family friend of ours was negligently shot through the stomach by his cousin who thought he was an animal. He had no orange on and was chasing a herd of cows through the trees. His cousin didn't confirm the target and fired. No charges were pressed though. Had to have almost a foot of his intestines removed, lucky that was all. Its scary what a deer bullet can do to a human body and it always pays to put safety first.

The InReach can’t make phone calls correct? Planning a 7-10 day pack in hunt and I am from the south and new to this.. Would you recommend getting both the InReach and satellite phone for my hunt? Being new to the out west hunting I want to have all my ducks in a row

And it was one of the guys in his hunting party. That’s more than a bummer.. it’s why we need to always be absolutely positive of our target before taking the safety off and touching the trigger. I’ll be hunting in that same area come 4th rifle.. maybe I’ll embrace my midwestern roots and go clad in blaze orange from my boot soles to my beanie
My son and I went to CO to archery hunt for elk this past season. I couldn't believe they 1) had muzzloader smack in the middle of the archery season but even more incredulous 2) the Muzzy guys had to wear orange but not the archers!!! I made a "flag" for our packs our of a cheap HO vest from walmart and attached it to the back of the pack with small clips. I told my son, while we are very careful to know our target, there are too many people out there that shoot and have no idea what or where they are shooting.

Scary stuff. Family friend of ours was negligently shot through the stomach by his cousin who thought he was an animal. He had no orange on and was chasing a herd of cows through the trees. His cousin didn't confirm the target and fired. No charges were pressed though. Had to have almost a foot of his intestines removed, lucky that was all. Its scary what a deer bullet can do to a human body and it always pays to put safety first.
Yeah we won't go onto our own property during deer season without an orange cap on. Too many people that just shoot at whatever movement they see.

Back