Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunter fatally shot near Kremmling

roravetz

I saw this sad news story today. https://kdvr.com/news/local/hunter-fatally-shot-near-kremmling/
They said the incident took place an hour and a half before anyone could call for help. Just a reminder of how important an InReach can be. I always struggle with trying to balance making my pack lighter and what I need/don't need but skimping on First Aid stuff probably isn't where you want to make things lighter. I'll probably listen to the EP 192 Bleeding Out Meateater podcast again. If I remember correctly it had some pretty good information. Stay safe out there!

Sad reminder. I know someone who was unfortunately on the shooting end of a similar tragedy. He’s never been the same.

Any sort of PLB is such cheap insurance these days.

If anyone is doing backcountry hunting, you should seriously consider a Wilderness First Responder course. I wonder what really could have been done for a GSW that far from definitive care, but with good training more is possible.

And it was one of the guys in his hunting party. That’s more than a bummer.. it’s why we need to always be absolutely positive of our target before taking the safety off and touching the trigger. I’ll be hunting in that same area come 4th rifle.. maybe I’ll embrace my midwestern roots and go clad in blaze orange from my boot soles to my beanie

And it was one of the guys in his hunting party. That’s more than a bummer.. it’s why we need to always be absolutely positive of our target before taking the safety off and touching the trigger. I’ll be hunting in that same area come 4th rifle.. maybe I’ll embrace my midwestern roots and go clad in blaze orange from my boot soles to my beanie
It makes me cringe when I think back to running trap lines for many years clad in Carhartt brown during PA’s deer seasons. I’d hate to guess how many times I ended up in someone’s crosshairs before some hunter figured out I was just some guy digging a dirt hole set at the edge of a corn field. I always wear an orange hat at minimum even when not required to.

Very sad deal no matter what the details are. Unfortunately it can happen.

Last year in MT, it was foggy and I ended up being on the same hillside as some elk and some guys shot towards me from a different ridge at the elk. It wasn't even their fault as neither of us could see each other with the poor visibility. Could have been a bad deal.

Prayers to all involved....

I was in Kremmling on Sunday and tagged out, I exclusively hunt 18/181. Scary how close to “home” this story is. Tremendous amount of hunting pressure in the area.

I had a close call when I was 16. Someone shot my hat off my head and I was in full blaze orange head to toe. My dad was a fanatic on that. He was pretty shook when I showed him my hat and told him about getting shot at. I dropped and behind a big rock and laid flat until the shooting stopped. Never did see who was doing the shooting. I just headed back to camp.

Then on way back home we stopped in Idaho Springs at the only cafe in town at the time. Someone bragged that he didn't see squat but he sure got a lot of sound shots off. My dad smacked that guy in the mouth and showed him my hat and said that's what happens when you pop off "sound shots".

I know from experience that it is very important to know your target and what is behind it. Personally, I turn down a lot of shots because I am not comfortable with it. Either it's not a humane kill shot or I can't be satisfied that there is nothing behind it that might get hit too.

I was in Kremmling on Sunday and tagged out, I exclusively hunt 18/181. Scary how close to “home” this story is. Tremendous amount of hunting pressure in the area.
I hunt the same area. I watched a small buck bed on a hill side close to a road. 2 guys in a Ford explorer ran up the back side of the hill and were just above him and turned around and went back down to their vehicle. I was happy that the little guy survived but as I watched the jerks drove the road around in front of him stopped rolled down the window and blasted him. I was far enough away that I couldn't make out their license plate and I had no cell coverage to call it in. It is complete disregard for the law and unsportsmanlike behavior like that which give hunting a bad image and can lead to more tragic outcomes.

I hunt the same area. I watched a small buck bed on a hill side close to a road. 2 guys in a Ford explorer ran up the back side of the hill and were just above him and turned around and went back down to their vehicle. I was happy that the little guy survived but as I watched the jerks drove the road around in front of him stopped rolled down the window and blasted him. I was far enough away that I couldn't make out their license plate and I had no cell coverage to call it in. It is complete disregard for the law and unsportsmanlike behavior like that which give hunting a bad image and can lead to more tragic outcomes.
Ugh, disheartening conduct.

I didn’t observe it, but there was a group of guys throwing shots at 600yds last Sunday in 40mph gusts.

That all being said, of the 20+ interactions I had in the field everyone was respectful and responsible. Helped some guys with their doe and they helped me with my buck.

looks like charges are being filed. criminally negligent homicide

Interesting. I'd be curious to get the final details on what happened. If he was hiking with a round in the chamber and something happened or if they were doing some sort of an "elk drive".

Interesting. I'd be curious to get the final details on what happened. If he was hiking with a round in the chamber and something happened or if they were doing some sort of an "elk drive".

yeah, i'm now very curious as well.

i mean, it's not illegal to hike with a round in the chamber as far as i've always been aware - though i borderline think it should be

but for the DA to not come to the conclusion that a hunting death was entirely accidental and instead merits charges makes clear to me that the DA does not like the decisions/actions that led up to this incident

It makes me cringe when I think back to running trap lines for many years clad in Carhartt brown during PA’s deer seasons. I’d hate to guess how many times I ended up in someone’s crosshairs before some hunter figured out I was just some guy digging a dirt hole set at the edge of a corn field. I always wear an orange hat at minimum even when not required to.
The opening few days of PA deer season news causality reports sounded like war reports from Vietnam.

I haven’t really had this happen while hunting but when scouting especially in the summer for areas close to home I’ve had close calls with recreational shooters. I park my truck and hike off the road into the woods only to have someone parked near me shooting blindly down the hill I just hiked down.

Following a 20 year career in law enforcement, most of it in SWAT, I became pretty particular about how fire arms are handled. It was enlightening when we started filming training and operations. Lasers dramatically emphasize when a muzzle sweeps across another’s legs.
No excuse, it was ass chewing time. High speed windows, doors, hallways and stairs, there was no acceptable excuse for lasering your partner.
Following my career I guided big game and upland birds for five years. I’m done, been told I’m just too picky about safety.
Point being, most the guys I guided were middle aged and had been hunting all their lives; 9/10 absolutely wouldn’t accept a friendly reminder to watch their muzzle or keep their safeties on.
Twice I sent guys back to the ranch house, once I took my dogs and left.
I think it’s incumbent on all of us to preach safety, don’t be an ass wipe about it but call it out when you see it. None of us want to be a party to such a tragedy.
As to the story above; I’ve seen just a couple of accidental discharges,Seen a lot of negligent discharges. Seems appropriate in almost any fire arms/ hunting case to charge Negligent homicide. All that would be required is to violate some universal accepted standard of safety.
Don’t know what happened here, last place I’d look is the press.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back