Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hunt a crappy unit or stay home

What is the recent harvest rate? If have never been in the unit then I cut the harvest rate in half as build expectations for a hunt. If most of the harvest takes place on land I can’t access then I further cut the harvest rate. I do not mind hiking with a rifle on my shoulder for several days though there are lots of places near my home suitable for hiking and overnight camping which cost me much less than travel to another state and a tag.

Depends what you like. If you will have fun , no matter what happens, go.

If you only will have fun if you are into elk all the time, walk lightly

IMO...
If u have to ask a question on should you go Hunt and try, then you probably should just return your tag...

Each season I develop a set of priorities for my time utilization Oftentimes they fall along a similar path.

1st priority: Hunt and scout limited entry opportunities the most time possible
2nd priority: Hunt OTC and assist friends and family on their hunts
3rd priority: Prepare for hunting through marksmanship, practice, competition and conditioning
4th Priority: Recreational and social activities unrelated to the above.

I would suggest if you are having motivation issues with the OTC hunt you look down the line in your priorities and see if it could potentially fill some of those priorities as well. In my case a Late December hunt will give me the opportunity to mentor my nephew on his first elk hunt in accordance with his school schedule. In past years, without that motivation , I let that tag go by unused.

Howdy. It goes like this:
Some elk hunting is always better than NOT hunting any elk!!!! Heck, just go and enjoy being there, and not working or some other horrible space.
Summary: Some time is better than no time when it comes to hunting, fishing, camping, and being outdoors.

At my stage of life I've had a lot of good hunts and look for certain things out of a hunt. If I know a hunt won't give me most of those and has more negatives I won't waste my time. I get all the nature I need right out my front door.

I am gonna hunt regardless.

If I don't get in my 50 or 60 days worth of hunting per year with a couple weeks worth of scouting thrown in then I don't feel like I am living right. I was less than that last season and I can tell it.

I won't be hunting out west this season because I didn't draw any of the tags I put in for. Which, most were longshots so that is the breaks. I could go OTC elk or put in for leftovers but I have plenty of hunting to do around here and in Arkansas.

Hunt if you have the chance, depending how far your traveling and how many days you can spend out there are also things you need to consider.

Wanted to get peoples thoughts on going on a late season cow elk hunt DYI or wait a year and go for a better unit? Should note I drew one of the tags I had hoped for just want to chase elk while I can
Heres my .02:
I dont know where you live, job (time off situation), where your adding tag, financial situation and most importantly why unit is considered bad. These are all factors some more important than others and all depend on your situation.
Go: learn new area, if expenses are low(gas/tags mainly), its hunting and a adventure, if you have time and interest (intent on returning)
Dont go: expensive(could be saving to buy a tag in future), phyical limits, focus on other tags, time constraints etc

Everyone is different, i have been in bad units and had no joy from the experiance. I would of been better off just deer hunting somewhere new and gaining a favorable experiance. I know you say you drew a tag, one year i ran myself ragged hunting to many elk tags(4) on my 3rd bull hunt i was shot, knees/back and in general exhaustion. I didnt due the 3rd tag justice and quit, went home for a week rested and finished 4th tag up much stronger and hunt was much more enjoyable. Good luck

I would hunt it and be thankful for it. There are a whole passel of disabled old elk hunters who would give up most anything to chase wapiti again!

An opportunity to hunt and if you don't need the meat there are always needy people who do. You just need to decide if you like hunting every year for a "lesser" hunt or for bulls every couple or three years.

I’d be hard pressed to hunt a bad area just to be hunting. I’d pass on that every time.

I get to hunt 6 months out of the year, already. I’m not gonna waste my time and money on a bad area.

I’ll be honest, I don’t fully understand the context of the situation.

The unit has very limited public space to hunt.
Ah, I see. It may take some extra effort to give yourself the best chance. I would make sure and have realistic expectations. I would talk to everyone I could to make sure I understood if their were elk on the public during the season you drew. There may be landowners that would be open to letting you hunt cow elk on their place, especially if the elk are causing problems.

Just some thoughts, I have no experience with elk.

I can tell you I have never been on a hunt I wished I didn’t go on, successful or not. But that is subjective too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back