Hungarian Hunt

havgunwilltravel

Towards the end of 2015 a mate and I headed to Hungary to see good friends over there and hunt a few species of game. Their management principles and game policies are incredible, deeply entrenched through centuries of hard work and study. Coming from Australia where there is very little thought to any management at all of our various herds, it was very refreshing to be a part of this and see it all first hand. I had hunted this country a while back, but this trip over was a lot different and planned better.

We caught the tail end of the roe deer season, looked over a few bucks and I shot a nice male from a herd. It was pouring rain and when i went over to check the buck out i fell over and covered myself in mud. It was a not so elegant moment and we all had a good laugh. He was a good representative of the species and a mature animal. Roe deer are fun to hunt, they like a bit of sunshine and seek good tucker on the crops and improved pasture.

Then the fallow season started, we were a whisker early for the peak of the rut, but we had to go when we did due to the roe deer season ending. Bucks were just starting to make some noise, working scrapes and cruising around looking for does. It wasn’t easy hunting though, I did a lot of bush stalking, looked over a few animals and missed a snap shot at a big malform buck in tight cover. Then an opportunity to hunt up north a little on another hunting area came up and I went there for the afternoon. Looked over a heap of deer, found a true monster at 300m, but the guide wanted to get closer and they legged it out of there. We circled around where the buck went and on the way to the heavy timber he ran into we came across another fully mature buck, around 11 years of age he was heavy and long beamed with big palms, time was running out a bit so I put the crosshairs on him and shot him off the sticks from around 80 metres.

My hunting partner had been keeping busy, he had shot a good roe deer, a couple of great fallow bucks and even managed two golden jackals. They are super rare, and many hunters go a lifetime without seeing one let alone shooting a jackal. He was very fortunate and of course took on the new name of the ‘White Jackal’ and he even came up with a ‘Double Jackal’ hand sign that he still manages to use and remind us of his luck on the jackals. He is currently over there hunting again and I’ve warned him no more jackals!

From this area we travelled to the mountains in a scenic wine region and settled into a hotel in a little village. It was a superb location to be visiting and in no time we met our respective guides and headed into the forest. We looked over a few red deer and found some mouflon ewes and lambs, they have incredible eyesight, probably equal to anything I have hunted. Towards dark we snuck into a little clearing in the mountains and found a herd of ewes, then underneath them there were a group of males, two were very nice and one was superb. I was ready to shoot, but the guide had to look him over to check to make sure he had the right horn style as the flaring rams with horns growing out are often left to grow old and big, where as the ‘suicide’ rams with the horns growing up into their neck/chin region are preferred to be harvested as these types of rams are running on limited time as sooner or later their horns will kill them. Trying to get the right angles to look at the big ram in the fading light was a challenge and in the end we backed out not wanting to shoot a ram that possibly needed to be left.

That evening we visited a local 800 year old cellar that was dug into the hillside under a house and enjoyed some local red. My guide spoke solid English and the robust conversation revolved around hunting in the different countries we had been to.

Next morning we were up in a tree stand watching over the same clearing. A young male mouflon came through, but not much else, some red stags were roaring in the distant and with the morning wearing on we headed to another area.

This consisted of a scrubby ridge surrounded by forest. Far below was the little village, it was quite a scenic location. Glassing the scrubby ridge we soon picked up a couple of rams heading across the ridge seeking the timber on the other end. We didn’t have time to waste and raced up their in the hunting vehicle, climbed halfway up the ridge and sat in a high seat hoping they would pass by within sight. We waited and waited and just as we were about to leave to work around the ridge a flash of colour caught my eye. The rams were coming through. We had got enough of a look to determine one was a definite shooter and the other too young. As the rams entered the only small clearing I could shoot though I steadied for a shot. Just then the guides cell phone rings on full noise. It’s in his pocket, the small ram in front takes off immediately and the larger ram pauses trying to work out what to do, my guide is in a fizz trying to get another look at the ram to make sure its exactly what we need at the same time as he is trying to retrieve his phone out of his pocket. It was all systems go and I knew I had seconds before the opportunity was over. So I let one rip and the ram collapsed. The guide was a bit speechless, we were quite confident the ram was the shooter and he asked me if i had shot the right ram as he didn’t have the same view I had. It was all good though and we celebrated with a few handshakes and laughed at how the only time his cell phone rang for the entire hunt was when we had a mature ram at 60 metres. Some pics and a solid drag out and we had the ram in the back of the 4wd.

The next day I went out with my mate who managed to shoot a very nice heavy horned ram in the forest and that rounded out a very solid trip.

We visited some street festivals in our remaining days, checked out some great culture and unfortunately we flew out on a day when the hunting museums were closed. Next trip we will find time to check these out and see some of the wonderful hunting trophies Hungary has produced.

It’s a superb destination, the trophy fees go back into the hunting areas for management of the animals and paying the game keepers wages and if you don’t harvest an animal the costs are minimal. You pay by weight system over there and it’s a very fair system. Basically the guides have to produce animals in order to generate revenue for the hunting areas and everybody is working towards a quality age class of animals harvested each year. Dealing with local connections we have there is no outfitter involved wanting to make extra and complicate things.

We will go back in 2016 and likely after that keep looking at options for future hunts in different countries within the region. There is just so much respect for the game animals there its hard not to want to explore and see as much as we can.

Last edited:
Amazing. I would love to hunt Hungary, amd many of the surrounding countries.

Thanks for sharing. Those are some incredible animals.

Congrats on a wonderful trip / hunt. Hunts like that are ones I don't think I'll ever get to experience, so it is fun to read about your trip. Thanks for sharing.

Always enjoy your detailed shares. Lush country & exotic critters, thanks havegun.

...classy weaponry.

Great hunt! I may be the odd man out, but I think I'd enjoy that more than an plains game hunt in Africa. Hunting in Europe looks like a great time!

Thanks for sharing! You've definitely lived up to your moniker. Congrats sprinkled with a touch of jealousy.

Congrats. Looks like a great time.

Out of curiosity, what are the medals on the fallow european mounts for?

Looks like an awesome experience. It's neat that you can work it all out with local guides and not have to go through an outfitter.

Wow, nicely done. I was in Budapest back in November it really made me want to do a euro hunt for Roe, Fallow and Red deer. I have been looking at Romania recently as well especially with the brown bear densities they have there. Were you on the Buda side of the Danube?

1_point count me as the Europe before Africa crowd.

Last edited:
Great hunt! I may be the odd man out, but I think I'd enjoy that more than an plains game hunt in Africa. Hunting in Europe looks like a great time!
You are not on your own, obviously living where i do i get to hunt Red,Fallow and Roe, great fun, i have hunted in Montana, great fun, i hunted in South Africa, not for me, different strokes for different folks i suppose.

The medals are probably in relation to this http://www.cic-wildlife.org/?id=80
I never seen fallow of that quality unless they were in a deer park, great trophies there, well done.
Cracking Roe Buck, my favourite deer to stalk.

Cheers
Richard

Yes each animal has to get recorded, what area it was taken in, the age, antler/horn size etc and you receive documentation which helps with bringing the animals home. They are also scored under the CIC system and if the score is a certain size it will qualify for medals, which are given, bronze, silver, gold. Those fallow all scored enough to receive medals, and one went silver, the moulfon both did and the roe i shot did as well. Its more a reflection on the genetics, age class, management of the different species in the areas that are hunted then the skill of the hunter, always a little luck involved, but its good to be hunting areas that are capable of producing quality animals equal to anywhere else in the country that is wild and free range.

Amazing. I would love to hunt Hungary, amd many of the surrounding countries.

Thanks for sharing. Those are some incredible animals.

If you ever get serious about going over there, i am getting a good handle on some of the locations, send us an email and i can offer some advice.

Wow, nicely done. I was in Budapest back in November it really made me want to do a euro hunt for Roe, Fallow and Red deer. I have been looking at Romania recently as well especially with the brown bear densities they have there. Were you on the Buda side of the Danube?

1_point count me as the Europe before Africa crowd.

yes thats right mate, in that region. Not that far from Budapest. If you get back over there, do some research and email a few companies about having a hunt, can hunt a few species then and it many places it is surprisingly affordable for the experience.

I'll still go to africa and hunt when i can afford to, but the European model of management is world class and its especially appealing when your not paying massive up front hunt costs like canada, alaska etc and totally dependent on your outfitter and guides. Heard WAY too many horror stories of guys dropping 20 - 30 K on an alaskan hunt and not firing a shot the last five years to make me want to hunt elsewhere.

The medals are probably in relation to this http://www.cic-wildlife.org/?id=80
I never seen fallow of that quality unless they were in a deer park, great trophies there, well done.
Cracking Roe Buck, my favourite deer to stalk.

Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard,

All animals were completely wild and free range. There is areas and regions with high fences, like many regions of Europe, but we made sure that this wasn't the case for us. My mate in Hungary did a lot of work finding the right locations for the species we hunted to ensure we were hunting totally wild populations. One region we hunted fallow was near a national park and this helped with animals getting age.

Thanks for sharing another of your amazing adventures with us, always enjoy your reports and photos. Those are some great and beautiful animals. I have to confess, I get rather envious of your hunts both in Australia and elsewhere. Congratulations!

Hi Richard,

All animals were completely wild and free range. There is areas and regions with high fences, like many regions of Europe, but we made sure that this wasn't the case for us. My mate in Hungary did a lot of work finding the right locations for the species we hunted to ensure we were hunting totally wild populations. One region we hunted fallow was near a national park and this helped with animals getting age.

Sorry i hope my post didn't come across as you did a canned hunt, seeing your other threads i know that couldn't be further from the truth.
Near where i live there is a deer park, some huge Fallow bucks there, but they are all fed.
Where i live the soil is very acidic, and i just don't see huge roe or fallow bucks, but cross over into the next county of Dorset there are regular 'gold' medal heads shot, they have very fertile soil, so the minerals must contribute to the class of the deer.
But, in Scotland the red deer are smaller bodied and antlered compared to what we have down south.
You should try it sometime.

Cheers

Richard

Sorry i hope my post didn't come across as you did a canned hunt, seeing your other threads i know that couldn't be further from the truth.
Near where i live there is a deer park, some huge Fallow bucks there, but they are all fed.
Where i live the soil is very acidic, and i just don't see huge roe or fallow bucks, but cross over into the next county of Dorset there are regular 'gold' medal heads shot, they have very fertile soil, so the minerals must contribute to the class of the deer.
But, in Scotland the red deer are smaller bodied and antlered compared to what we have down south.
You should try it sometime.

Cheers

Richard

All good mate, i knew what you were trying to say, no worries there.

Yes the soil mineral content plays a massive part in antler growth, really quite amazing. Even over here with our sambar herds i can notice areas that consistently produce better antler growth for the same age class of deer when compared to other regions. I guess with pretty similar habitat across the entire range in England, one of the big variances would be soil between the different areas.

Looks like another great adventure for some keen hunters.

Do you have pics of the Jackals? Pretty amazing to pick up a pair. I'd probably patent a hand signal as well to flash my buds.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that would much rather hunt Europe/Oz/NZ than most parts of Africa. There are still some hunts in Africa I'd love to experience but not in front of the others.

Congrats again.
-Cade

Back