HTer Fitness Goals '24 Edition

After a 10 month layoff for TKR surgeries, I made it back to my BJJ/ Muay thai gym today. I figure I can make millions if i start an Instagram account where instead if shooting elk, I choke them out ( unless they tapout). Figure I'll get the MMA, hunting and C&R fly fisherpeople to follow that shit

After a 10 month layoff for TKR surgeries, I made it back to my BJJ/ Muay thai gym today. I figure I can make millions if i start an Instagram account where instead if shooting elk, I choke them out ( unless they tapout). Figure I'll get the MMA, hunting and C&R fly fisherpeople to follow that shit
It would probably go viral wether you pull it off or get your ass kicked in the process. Should be fun to watch!

it's basic thermodynamics if it's 1:1

the body doesn't burn food, it metabolizes food.

i'm not a bio chemist, but i question the notion that the breaking of molecular bonds during combustion releases the same amount energy as body metabolism and subsequent ATP production does and that process varies based on the macro being metabolized on the cellular level from what i've heard and read. alcohol is particularly interesting because it is not a macro nutrient and the metabolic processes and pathways that would lead to it accumualating fat on the body are markedly different than how macro nutrients would.

there's even suggestions in the research that complicated processes in the microbiome will decrease the amount of calories you assume to have ingested before they can even move into the body for ATP production and storage.
Jesus, talk about majoring in the minors.

Weight loss is simple, it is not easy. Tracking calories is a means of tracking relative food intake to responses (weight loss, weight gain, body composition changes concomitant with either). Whether a carb has 3.9 or 4.0 or 4.1 cals/gram is immaterial unless you are a food researcher.

As a test I suggest you find your isocaloric state then add 500-1000 calories of alcohol per week and see what happens.

And I am certain the micro biotic constituency of your intestines affects your food absorption, but this is so minor on the scale of what you shovel in your face in the form of food/drink everyday as to be immaterial.

If you want to keep worrying about things that don't matter, carry on. If you want to change body comp and lose weight (or gain, very few out there want to gain) count calories and macronutrients.

If you want to keep worrying about things that don't matter, carry on.

ah, see this is the crux of the matter. i worry about none of it. it's just interesting stuff to read up on.

i worry about whether or not it's real natural food and that it's varied in my diet and, if those criteria are met, i eat it until i'm full. i don't track anything in my diet. i just track how minutes I am able to devote to working out, the goal of which is as much as i can manage.

Still warm, and still taking advantage by running outside. Another 3 mile loop today, but shaved 20 seconds off my time. I figure tacking on a few of these a week on days where I don’t beat up my legs in the gym will help.

Planning to get some new shoes tomorrow. I’ve got about 350 miles on my current pair. At ~235 lbs that’ll wear out the cushion pretty good!

Attachments

• 939AA87A-4F23-4FB0-A56F-41DA532DEC79.jpeg
    939AA87A-4F23-4FB0-A56F-41DA532DEC79.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 11
  • C9661453-BFA2-41DA-85D2-A13B23C51E9B.jpeg
    C9661453-BFA2-41DA-85D2-A13B23C51E9B.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 11
Nice job climbing DSnow!

Got in the pool and ripped off some laps today, haven’t done that in 15+ years. It felt great and horrible all at the same time, but nice to get back in.

I always felt fantastic after swimming practice back in the day, and that hasn’t changed.

Nice job climbing DSnow!

Got in the pool and ripped off some laps today, haven’t done that in 15+ years. It felt great and horrible all at the same time, but nice to get back in.

I always felt fantastic after swimming practice back in the day, and that hasn’t changed.
What distance did you swim? Trying to benchmark myself against a real swimmer.

Swimming is the ultimate definition of both fun and terrible. It never seems to get easier lol

Back in the day, 50/100/200/500 free, 100 fly and 500 free on rare occasion (hated that race).

Today I only swam around 1500 yards I would say. That was plenty but would have been a warmup back in the day.

I registered for US Masters Swimming today (God that makes me feel old…). My singular goal is to never allow my 12 year old daughter to post a better time than me. It was very apparent after about 2 minutes swimming today that I am in a race against time that I will lose very quickly- but it will be fun to try.

Last edited:
Back in the day, 50/100/200/500 free, 100 fly and 500 free on rare occasion (hated that race).

Today I only swam around 1500 yards I would say. That was plenty but would have been a warmup back in the day.
Damn and I was feeling good about swimming 900-1000 3x per week. 1500 is intense. Nice work

Trying to benchmark myself against a real swimmer.

I only swam through high school, not like I was some college swimming stud or anything like that. I will say it was probably the time when I was in the best shape of my life though.

10 weeks out from my second knee replacement, did a back to back muay thai/ jiu-jitsu session. I was absolutely smoked, but man it feels good to be back in action. Ive ridden cycles, ran 10 milers, swam, hiked, there is no better cardio that I've ever found. Now if I can keep.my fat ass away from burgers and pizza for a few months, ill be golden

Ah swimming. I was a high school swimmer too. What memories. Great shape, but I always found it was a fitness that never translated to anything but swimming.

Man the twice a week morning practices were brutal. One hour before school and two hours after school 🤮 really is a competitive sport that will build some mental toughness. But at the same time they always wonder why so many high school students can barely get through any class without falling asleep.

I’m very content remaining retired from swimming for good

Back