HTer Fitness Goals '24 Edition

• Thread starter Deleted member 52098
  • Start date
I hate to get this thread back to fitness goal updates but here we go......

Goal one for me this year was a podium spot at the Ice Climbing Continental Cup, I rolled into finals in 4th place, and managed to finish in 5th, touching the hold that would have had me into third and onto the podium, but without enough gas left in the tank to hold on...

10 minutes of a sport that I think for most people will be about as exciting as watching paint dry. if you watch to the end you get to see a big fall though...

When we were children, there was simply living. We ate what our folks gave us and that was mostly healthy stuff because our parents wanted the best for us. We played hard all damn day and didn’t count miles or calories because we knew when we were tired and when we were full. There was no alcohol, tobacco or any substance. We slept full eight hour or so nights and that gave us the rest we needed to go go go all day.

You know, a lot of us can still do that today. What a boost that would give us on fitness goals if we just lived like we did as children.

Goal one for me this year was a podium spot at the Ice Climbing Continental Cup, I rolled into finals in 4th place, and managed to finish in 5th, touching the hold that would have had me into third and onto the podium, but without enough gas left in the tank to hold on...

10 minutes of a sport that I think for most people will be about as exciting as watching paint dry. if you watch to the end you get to see a big fall though...
damn man, well done. Always wanted to get down there to watch that live. Climbing in general is exhausting, but ice climbing ramps it up a notch. Well done dude!

Wow! @GrantK

Holding the ice ax with your mouth to free a hand.....give this dentist a slight shudder. Do you have some soft material on the shaft of the ax for this purpose?

Wow! @GrantK

Holding the ice ax with your mouth to free a hand.....give this dentist a slight shudder. Do you have some soft material on the shaft of the ax for this purpose?
Ha, my dentist has nightmares about all the climbing gear that goes in my teeth, but when your hands are otherwise engaged the teeth are the third hand for pretty much everything... the axes in this case are carbon fiber, they weigh next to nothing, they are wrapped with tennis racquet overgrip tape that is doubled up and wrapped over with athletic tape at the balance point to give a place to bite.

You know, a lot of us can still do that today. What a boost that would give us on fitness goals if we just lived like we did as children.

ah yes, childhood - best epitomized by eating sugar infused eggo waffles spread with margarine made out hydrogenated oils that are no longer legal then doused with maple syrup made out of corn.

jeez man, that looks brutal.

@trb and i have unfinished business on hiking a couple peaks.

i'm gonna revise last years goal to 3 total peaks.

this years goal is more diet related and to just work on feeling really healthy again. i've really let myself slip on maintaining a whole foods, no processed foods, zero processed sugar diet.

fitness, doing well in that dept and i intend to maintain it. continue with 5-6 days a week of 20-30 minutes cardio and 30-40 minutes of lifting a day. squats almost every day.

should probably do another trail race in 2024.

weight? just stay the course. i like hanging out in the 180 range.

since grant updated i'll go ahead and update.

i'm on a real good workout grind. pushing 40 minutes a day either stair climbing or running, usually a 20 minutes of each, then followed with 20-30 minutes of lifting. mostly lots of pull ups, pushups and various shoulder, back, and chest workouts and lots of squatting. really keeping a solid routine here and it's feeling really good. been going consistently enough that i finally felt the need to take a rest day yesterday after about 15 straight days.

getting back on my food plan is going really well too, dry january is helping with overall willpower. we're overall good on maintaining a very low processed food, essentially zero added/processed sugar diet, but i do have a tendency to indulge in my favorite junk food from time to time. i can tell i feel better. i'm generally allowing one meal a week that goes a little off the rails.

waitlisted for my favorite trail race, so i impulsively signed up for a random 50k instead. if i get off the waitlist i'll do both, if not, jus the 50k. went and looked at the registered runners list and saw @MtnElk signed up. it'll be a good time.

it's a depressing life when the only practical way to run is on a road or a treadmill. call me weird, but i'd rather gouge my eyeballs out with a spoon then road run, yes i like treadmills more than pavement running, especially a treadmill that can give me some grade. so it's stair climbing and treadmills. i'll mix in at least one long trail run a week here soon, but holy crap they're a time suck with having to drive 20+ minutes to trailheads.

weight is remaining right around 180, but maybe creeping up a little due to the lifting, too soon to say. i think i actually want to remain in the 175-180 range, but it really is kinda hard if i stay under the weights. i'll think about that more.

antsy to hopefully get at least one solid multi day peakbagging trip in this summer. that's always the goal. after that can usually just take a day off here and there to hit local front range peaks.

Last edited:
ah yes, childhood - best epitomized by eating sugar infused eggo waffles spread with margarine made out hydrogenated oils that are no longer legal then doused with maple syrup made out of corn.
Eggo is whatever, we all did that, pop tarts too and Big League Chew. But fake syrup??! Bro, I hope you got counseling to work through that trauma. I know that lots of people had the same ACE event growing up. Fortunately, many have now learned it’s not acceptable to feed people fake syrup and today source their syrup from maples and birch, like God intended.

Guess I started this, so I should post relevant updates. Been lifting 3x per week since late December, swimming 3x per week, playing hockey 1x and hiking / snowshoeing in between all of that when time allows. Despite having weight to lose, haven’t felt this fast on skates in a long time, so clearly all that season of stupid was beneficial to my legs

Scale has dropped, but not as much as I’d like; but wife says it’s likely my body responding to lifting after not doing that seriously in many years.

Feel damn good and am excited for big races this summer, either vertically focused or distance. Plus it helps that I’ll see the likes of @TOGIE amd @GrantK at some of these.

Adding further motivation is the fact that @Dsnow9 is actually training… which is scary. Looks like neither of us want to be jazzercising come fall

Signed up for a couple of 1/2 marathon trail races this summer.

Still debating which final marathon this Oct, there's a local one, but it's net downhill, or The Gorge marathon, back near my home town, I might sucker my sister into running it with me.

Also, the @mtmiller pushup workout is going well, better than I thought.

Signed up for a couple of 1/2 marathon trail races this summer.

Still debating which final marathon this Oct, there's a local one, but it's net downhill, or The Gorge marathon, back near my home town, I might sucker my sister into running it with me.

Also, the @mtmiller pushup workout is going well, better than I thought.
Which trail halves are you doing?

Dang that Devil's Gulch one looks gorgeous. Might have to put that on the list for a future summer

Dang that Devil's Gulch one looks gorgeous. Might have to put that on the list for a future summer
It traverses what I affectionately refer to as the Great Deer Desert. Definitely a cool area, but I can't imagine doing the 100 miler, hell even the 50 is beyond me on a mt bike (though a couple of friends do a slightly revised route pretty regular).

From last year:
I’m not in amazing shape- I’m just taller, stubborn, and still have a six pack through some miracle. I’d like to:

Lift 2x a week
Cardio 3x a week (includes rugby/sports and hiking/skiing)

Bump from 180 up to 195 lbs
Run 5 miles for the first time in my life

Bench 1x bodyweight
Squat 1.5x
RDL 2x

Recover pulled hamstring/glute from Maggotfest last May
Fix pinched nerve in right foot

Marry a rich supermodel that loves to fly fish and archery hunt.

That last one is there for when i check back- if i get the entire list, you all know I’m either dreaming, or lying.

Well...

Hit 195.
My hamstring seems decent.
Haven’t been consistently running or lifting.

Still want to:
Lift/Run in some capacity 4x a week
Run 5 miles for the first time in my life
Bench 1x bodyweight
Squat 1.5x
RDL 2x

But I’m in the market for a ring, so I guess that’s one more goal I’m closer to! 😅

Rich supermodel? Prove it.
I make no claims about wealth or paid appearance in media. But you can check a post in the Women Hunters for verification that she 1- exists, 2- hunts, and I think 3- fishes. In personal training, so she’s definitely in better shape than me 😅.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back