Caribou Gear

HTer Fitness Goals '24 Edition

Wait... you're buying a ring and you don't even know if she fishes? How many hrs have you known her?
I was unsure of proof in the other post. Sure most certainly fishes.

Now. Can we get back to fitness?

Attachments

• IMG_2980.jpeg
    IMG_2980.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2576.jpeg
    IMG_2576.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2338.jpeg
    IMG_2338.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1871.jpeg
    IMG_1871.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Trying to get back to a weight where I felt best (about 15-20 lbs less than where I am now). Workout more, hike more. Just get in better shape overall.

Cardio season is upon us. I save my running for January-August so I dont blow out my legs or knees during hunting season. A little slower paced than I was last summer, but just starting to kick things off for the season. The last 2 days have been descent. I plan on stepping on the scale at the first of each month.
Screenshot_20240125_150259_Connect.jpgScreenshot_20240126_111955_Connect.jpg

I hate to get this thread back to fitness goal updates but here we go......

Goal one for me this year was a podium spot at the Ice Climbing Continental Cup, I rolled into finals in 4th place, and managed to finish in 5th, touching the hold that would have had me into third and onto the podium, but without enough gas left in the tank to hold on...

10 minutes of a sport that I think for most people will be about as exciting as watching paint dry. if you watch to the end you get to see a big fall though...
Thanks for sharing this. Is the upper climbing wall part a plywood base like a regular wall and you can front point into it pretty well? Or is it something different?

Not exactly fitness - but I’ve been doing a sort of February personal challenge the last few years where I do some small daily challenge every day of the month. This year I am gonna do a cold plunge every day. Ideally first thing in the morning since that sounds the worst but also will wake me up. I got a $100 dollar plastic cattle tank in the back yard and have an aquarium heater so it doesn’t freeze. It’s been working well enough.

Not exactly fitness - but I’ve been doing a sort of February personal challenge the last few years where I do some small daily challenge every day of the month. This year I am gonna do a cold plunge every day. Ideally first thing in the morning since that sounds the worst but also will wake me up. I got a $100 dollar plastic cattle tank in the back yard and have an aquarium heater so it doesn’t freeze. It’s been working well enough.
I’ll be interested to hear what you think after a month.

Hearing Randys podcast and doing some self analyzing has convinced me to sign up for MtnTough also, gonna sign up for the trial in the next few days and hope to be back in great shape by hunting season. Due to life circumstances going to a gym is difficult, but with their minimal/no gear programs i'm hoping to get quality workouts at home.

this last year was the heaviest i've ever been at 230, when met my wife 12 yrs ago i was 185, which for me is almost too anemic as my job involves heavy and awkward parts, so IMO if i can get to 195ish, i'll be tickled pink. I think its doable, and per randys advice, I'm not going to give myself a "plan B".

Thanks for sharing this. Is the upper climbing wall part a plywood base like a regular wall and you can front point into it pretty well? Or is it something different?
yeah, it's 5/8" plywood, the boots have special points for kicking into the plywood, scary sharp, and not that good on the actual ice...

First outdoor run of the year due to this unusually warm weather here lately. Definitely need to get some new shoes, but looking forward to running outside again. Treadmills bore the living hell out of me!

I’m one month into my increased fitness regime. I have been getting up at 4:15 am and have not missed any days even when it was below zero I forced myself to go out for my walking portion. I feel stronger but my weight is about the same. Yesterday, I went to the trampoline park with my kids and am sore today! There were not many other 40 year olds out there and this morning I know why. A major part of why I want to continue to stay in shape is so I can keep up with my kids. I am hoping to ramp my exercise up another level this month.

For February I am going to increase the mileage I walk by 1 mile each day and increase the weight on the lifts. Range of motion is still important and has increased just by doing daily stretches. I need to focus on my diet, the sweet tooth attacked me in January and I usually don’t have one.

I’m one month into my increased fitness regime. I have been getting up at 4:15 am and have not missed any days even when it was below zero I forced myself to go out for my walking portion. I feel stronger but my weight is about the same. Yesterday, I went to the trampoline park with my kids and am sore today! There were not many other 40 year olds out there and this morning I know why. A major part of why I want to continue to stay in shape is so I can keep up with my kids. I am hoping to ramp my exercise up another level this month.

For February I am going to increase the mileage I walk by 1 mile each day and increase the weight on the lifts. Range of motion is still important and has increased just by doing daily stretches. I need to focus on my diet, the sweet tooth attacked me in January and I usually don’t have one.
My kids took my to the local trampoline park for my 40th birthday a few years ago. Seemed natural to them almost every birthday party they went to was held there. lol

I can relate to feeling it the next day, but at 46 the kids still can't keep up with me! Not sure how much longer that will last, but I'm hoping to hold them off for a bit longer.

yeah but alcohol calories aren't really aren't anything like normal calories it seems when it comes to ATP production. as much as everyone likes to say "alcohol is sugar" it's really not. it's only made from sugar and is chemically distinct from sugar. it's like saying gasoline is the same thing as plankton in my mind.

now, in all the personal research i've done it seems to me that alcohol just majorly ****s with your metabolism and liver in ways that can really induce weight gain. but i wouldn't really think it's because it has a lot of calories. it's because it's a poison that screws with your body super hard.

to paraphrase dr lustig - we measure calories by literally setting food on fire, burning it, but the body doesn't burn food.

more reason i think tracking calories is bunk lol
Alcohol is 7 cal/gram, that is easy to lookup. Even a "light night out" it's easy to pack in several hundred calories of booze alone, not to mention the questionable food choices that alcohol precipitates. 3500 cals is a pound of fat, so figure 5-7 nights of "a couple beers" is worth a pound of fat on your body, not to mention the other effects of alcohol (lack of sleep, endocrine problems, etc).

There is nothing "bunk" about tracking calories, its basic thermodynamics. If you track calories, and are reasonable with your cuts, you will lose weight, period. 99.9% of people that fail to lose weight when tracking calories are just really, really bad at tracking them and fail to account for things that matter, like alcohol.

As far as protein goes, I weigh 185-190 lbs. I try to eat at least 150 grams a day, that is more than sufficient when in an isocaloric or calorie surplus. It also allows more room for calories in the form of carbohydrates so I can train hard. Now, if I was cutting weight, I may bump that up to 170-180 grams a day to combat lean tissue loss. If you follow the research on protein synthesis, a couple of rules to follow are:

1. Hard training individuals need the most protein, rarely, if ever more than 0.9-1 g/lb bodyweight.

2. 3 - 4 (minimum) protein feedings throughout the day are best to maximize protein synthesis over the course of the day. Max intake of 40-50 grams in these feedings.

3. Protein cannot be stored easily (unlike fat and carbohydrates) so excess protein in the diet undergoes gluconeogenesis and becomes simple carbohydrates that the body can use as energy.

4. Protein supplements are 1 of the 3-4 supplements that have shown actual statistically significant results in the research. They are also cheap (relative to food) and convenient. Be wary of some dietary allergies (milk).

5. Plant protein is significantly less bioavailable due to amino acid structure compared to meat, egg or dairy proteins. For this reason you would need to be very conscious of your food choices if you are going to consume only plant protein.

Alcohol is 7 cal/gram, that is easy to lookup. Even a "light night out" it's easy to pack in several hundred calories of booze alone, not to mention the questionable food choices that alcohol precipitates. 3500 cals is a pound of fat, so figure 5-7 nights of "a couple beers" is worth a pound of fat on your body, not to mention the other effects of alcohol (lack of sleep, endocrine problems, etc).

There is nothing "bunk" about tracking calories, its basic thermodynamics. If you track calories, and are reasonable with your cuts, you will lose weight, period. 99.9% of people that fail to lose weight when tracking calories are just really, really bad at tracking them and fail to account for things that matter, like alcohol.

As far as protein goes, I weigh 185-190 lbs. I try to eat at least 150 grams a day, that is more than sufficient when in an isocaloric or calorie surplus. It also allows more room for calories in the form of carbohydrates so I can train hard. Now, if I was cutting weight, I may bump that up to 170-180 grams a day to combat lean tissue loss. If you follow the research on protein synthesis, a couple of rules to follow are:

1. Hard training individuals need the most protein, rarely, if ever more than 0.9-1 g/lb bodyweight.

2. 3 - 4 (minimum) protein feedings throughout the day are best to maximize protein synthesis over the course of the day. Max intake of 40-50 grams in these feedings.

3. Protein cannot be stored easily (unlike fat and carbohydrates) so excess protein in the diet undergoes gluconeogenesis and becomes simple carbohydrates that the body can use as energy.

4. Protein supplements are 1 of the 3-4 supplements that have shown actual statistically significant results in the research. They are also cheap (relative to food) and convenient. Be wary of some dietary allergies (milk).

5. Plant protein is significantly less bioavailable due to amino acid structure compared to meat, egg or dairy proteins. For this reason you would need to be very conscious of your food choices if you are going to consume only plant protein.

it's basic thermodynamics if it's 1:1

the body doesn't burn food, it metabolizes food.

i'm not a bio chemist, but i question the notion that the breaking of the molecular bonds of macro nutrients during basic combustion releases the same amount energy as body metabolism and subsequent ATP production does and that process varies based on the macro being metabolized on the cellular level from what i've heard and read. alcohol is particularly interesting because it is not a macro nutrient and the metabolic processes and pathways that would lead to it accumualating fat on the body are markedly different than how macro nutrients would.

there's even suggestions in the research that complicated processes in the microbiome will decrease the amount of calories you assume to have ingested before they can even move into the body for ATP production or storage.

Back