PEAX Equipment

HTer Fitness Goals '24 Edition

^ Over the years have gravitated to plant based PP. Pea and quinoa protein base for the morning shake. Add stuff like, chia seeds, peanut butter, greek yogurt, gooseberries and so on. Vega brand preferred but spendier. Zero unwanted fillers, and not soy based or dairy whey.

Eat the same breakfast shake everyday after working out. Keeps things simple and quick.

Steak. Man up.

I get the feeling that @MtnElk is built more like me than some of you mountain machines. I easily overeat and put on weight quickly and long hours at a desk job in the winter doesn't help. Just don't have the shut off of feeling full that some people have. Whey protein concentrate has the best amino acid profile and helps get that extra protein to satiate hunger. I have no whey sensitivities so has worked well for me.

i'm anti protein powder and supplements in general.

but this is the way to go IMO:

it's not exactly a complete amino profile, but neither are nuts or beans. regardless, i still view consuming protein not as real food as a generally poor route to go anyway.

my preferences for supplementing my day with extra protein is a smoothie of whole milk, banana, and peanut butter or almond butter and often a little raw honey; munch on cashews; or a can of bone-in sardines.
Steak. Man up.
I’m with you both… but to get 200 grams of protein requires a lot of eating. And despite what I look like, I can only put so much solid food down 😂

I’m with you both… but to get 200 grams of protein requires a lot of eating. And despite what I look like, I can only put so much solid food down 😂

isn't that telling though? if eating that much protein is difficult to do, it would logically seem unwise to try and force it with an unnatural liquid source, right?

why do you need 200 grams of protein?

i feel like even for rather active people that's almost excessive? i dunno

i also am one of those coo coos that doesn't believe there is much value in counting calories or worrying too much about macro ratios or exact amounts provided you're eating a good variety of real, natural, whole foods.

Last edited:
isn't that telling though? if eating that much protein is difficult to do, it would logically seem unwise to try and force it with an unnatural liquid source, right?

i also am one of those coo coos that doesn't believe there is much value in counting calories or worrying too much about macro ratios or exact amounts provided you're eating a good variety of real, natural, whole foods.
I don’t disagree with you at all on that seeming like a high number, just trying to follow some guidance from a degreed individual in this space. Whether it’s right or not, I haven’t had enough time to research

Regarding overall consumption and tracking, I think that statement works a little easier for those on one side of the scale, but maybe not their counterparts. But I agree that a whole food diet is best

Regarding overall consumption and tracking, I think that statement works a little easier for those on one side of the scale, but maybe not their counterparts. But I agree that a whole food diet is best

yeah, no doubt.

i like the theory though, that when eating real whole food to fullness and only eating it when you're hungry, the body balances itself out. hard to overeat when your body is actually satisfied with a natural diet unmolested by the processed foods that throw our metabolisms into confusion.

In general I agree with this but I think there's a pretty good amount of individual variability as well, if I'm actively training I have to supplement protein or I actually get weaker and smaller, and my diet would be considered very high protein by most, I suppose I could cook up an additional steak every day but it's actually hard to eat that much...

From a cross section of people I train with I'd guess a good half of them have the same issues, like most diet and fitness things I think it's best to try it yourself and see if it works, as long as you have a good baseline it's pretty easy to figure out if something has benefit or not...

I drink a Kachava meal replacement shake with berries and creatine after the gym and it works great for me but might be less ideal if someone is trying to lose weight.

What are peoples go to protein powders? Preferably that mix well with just water and don’t have a bunch of crap in it.

I’m woefully under proteined for the day and I think I need to supplement some in liquid form
To me most taste terrible. It's the fake sugar that makes them overly sweet.

It's all marketing. You're probably better off trying something that tastes good so you actually use it. I think 1-1.25 grams per kg of goal weight if you're active. Possibly more if you're getting after it at the gym. I tried the 200gr protein game and found that if I wanted to get that much protein I either was drinking too much shake or stuffing my face with chicken to maintain protein intake, keep calories low, and keeping price down.

I prefer whey isolate because it seems to keep my stomach from being a biohazard creation site. I also avoid anything vegetable based for protein (serving sizes seem way off to get minimal protein. Labels are often misleading like the jug says 30 servings but you need 2 servings to get more than 15grams). Goal of 22-25gr of protein per serving of around 32gr scoop with around 120 calories.

Watch out for added amino acids (like leucine) and junk protein sources like "beef protein" which is called Protein spiking.

just trying to follow some guidance from a degreed individual in this space
Definitely get ahold of a local dietician. Even though we (forum members) have a lot of experience with this most of it is biased and pulled from our preferred sources. except when it comes to rifle carry to shoulder workouts, then follow the dude in noharley's clip

Personal favorites that I've had lately are 6Star Froot Loops, Black Magic Horchata (not quite the right flavor but mixes well with greek yogurt), GNC Wheybolic Banana Milkshake or Girl Scout Lemon Cookie. These don't quite follow my preferred rules but they're often on sale. I've actually stopped mixing my protein powder into shakes and add it to Iceland Yogurt.

What are peoples go to protein powders? Preferably that mix well with just water and don’t have a bunch of crap in it.

I’m woefully under proteined for the day and I think I need to supplement some in liquid form
I workout pretty regularly and it requires protein intake other than meals. Usually 225 grams per day to maintain my muscle mass. I use redcon 1 protein mix with chocolate almond milk for texture/taste. Its designed as a meal replacement, so its a morning meal for me. Only 4 carbs and 24 grams of animal protein per serving. On workout days, I do a double scoop for 48 grams. Tastes good and blends descent.

why do you need 200

It depends heavily on how much muscle mass you want to carry and feel comfortable carrying. My body/back do better with a high muscle volume and I have to supplement for better quality of life. I wish I could do a holistic diet/mindset, but I rely heavily on protein and pre-workout

well, open mouth, insert foot.

i tallied up my approximate protein intake today and it was roughly 228 grams. probably +/- at least 20 due to having to estimate some portion sizes.

i agree, it has a lot to do with goals and what kind of muscle mass you want to maintain.

it also has a lot to do with overall body mass and i'm pretty tall and I simply workout a fair amount and very consistently. but i go easy on the weights because one of my goals is to not have too much muscle mass.

that said, i did that 228 grams without a single protein supplement, no problemo ;)

well, open mouth, insert foot.

i tallied up my approximate protein intake today and it was roughly 228 grams. probably +/- at least 20 due to having to estimate some portion sizes.

i agree, it has a lot to do with goals and what kind of muscle mass you want to maintain.

it also has a lot to do with overall body mass and i'm pretty tall and I simply workout a fair amount and very consistently. but i go easy on the weights because one of my goals is to not have too much muscle mass.

that said, i did that 228 grams without a single protein supplement, no problemo ;)
How'd that foot taste? jk

If you don't mind sharing - and you can text me if you prefer - what got you to that 228g and what was your rough calories for the day?

I'll be the first to admit I'd rather avoid protein powder as it typically gives my stomach fits, but I also need to be smart about calories.

How'd that foot taste? jk

If you don't mind sharing - and you can text me if you prefer - what got you to that 228g and what was your rough calories for the day?

I'll be the first to admit I'd rather avoid protein powder as it typically gives my stomach fits, but I also need to be smart about calories.

i threw it together in an app and it spat this out. my previous estimate was just googling and adding it on my phone calculator. definitely still a ball park, but i think the margin of error would keep me over 200g of protein easily.

1705601342040.png

i think i ate way more pasta last night than 2 oz. but it's always a dry weight thing and i really have no idea how much it actually was 🤷‍♂️

that fairlife nutrition shake may fall under a protein supplement by some standards, but at the same time, it doesn't contain any other protein other than that found in the milk. they just concentrate it through filtering processes. either way, i'm generally phasing those out of my diet, just finishing off what's left.

i never tally this stuff, and i'm suprised at the calorie count. I would've expected it to be quite a bit higher.

i threw it together in an app and it spat this out. my previous estimate was just googling and adding it on my phone calculator. definitely still a ball park, but i think the margin of error would keep me over 200g of protein easily.

View attachment 311343

i think i ate way more pasta last night than 2 oz. but it's always a dry weight thing and i really have no idea how much it actually was 🤷‍♂️

that fairlife nutrition shake may fall under a protein supplement by some standards, but at the same time, it doesn't contain any other protein other than that found in the milk. they just concentrate it through filtering processes. either way, i'm generally phasing those out of my diet, just finishing off what's left.

i never tally this stuff, and i'm suprised at the calorie count. I would've expected it to be quite a bit higher.
You're just out there eating dry arugula? You ok? :ROFLMAO:

You're just out there eating dry arugula? You ok? :ROFLMAO:

See I forgot a bunch of stuff lol

It was an arugula, olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper and Parmesan salad.

I also forgot I had raw sharp cheddar cheese and rice crackers with my cashews when I got home from work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back