Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Howa new mini-action rifles

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to start working on the 2016 Gear of the Year, here is an item to think about; the Howa mini-action in smaller calibers. I've shot the prototypes and they were amazingly accurate, especially for a compact rifle. I just got mine in a .222 Rem and have yet to put a scope on it and got after the fox and coyotes.

Here is what Wayne Van Zwoll had to say about them - http://ontargetmagazine.com/2015/12/howas-new-mini/

If Wayne is impressed, odds are you are looking at a very good rifle.

Here is the line up of min-actions, from lightweight, standard, and heavy barrels.

http://www.legacysports.com/mini-action-rife

Starting in 2016, you can now get any of them in the following calibers;

.204 Ruger
.222 Rem.
.223 Rem.
6.5 Grendel
7.62 x 39

Untitled.jpg

the 6.5 Grendel would be my choice! I started an AR build in 6.5 but I would much prefer a short bolt gun. Looks like I need to purge that barrel and save up for one of these.

I will have to look into that 6.5 Grendel.do you think that it would have enough power for big game?might make a nice lightweight mountain back pack gun u think?do you think these would reach out there in 6.5?

I will have to look into that 6.5 Grendel.do you think that it would have enough power for big game?might make a nice lightweight mountain back pack gun u think?do you think these would reach out there in 6.5?

If you are looking for a 6.5 in a lightweight rifle, I would look at the 6.5 Creedmoor in the Alpine Mountain Rifle.

6.5 for me also! Very interesting. Thanks Randy!

Last edited:
I like the extended mags & ceracoat package pricing....guess I could sell the nikko to Rooster.;)

Randy, if that triple duece don't treat you right, I'll see if I can break it in for you. It would be a nice match to go with the savage 222 over 20

Randy, are these the same as the Mini Mauser actions that used to come out of Czechoslovakia several years ago? They weren't made by CZ but they were great little actions. I've got a couple of PD rifles built on those actions.

Randy, are these the same as the Mini Mauser actions that used to come out of Czechoslovakia several years ago? They weren't made by CZ but they were great little actions. I've got a couple of PD rifles built on those actions.

Nope. These are Howa barrels/actions that come from Japan.

Long time lurker, finally have to comment. I love my 6.5 grendel for deer hunting, but the same complaints I have with using my AR are brought up by Van Zwoll: magazine right where the balance point is and the magazine digging into your back when slung. So I was wondering if you had the same light short contour barrel that he had, and if not, does either the longer or heavier barrel move the balance point forward. I was also curious if you knew if they (Howa) were planning on offering either a shorter magazine or hinged floor plate adaption.

Those are some sweet looking little set ups. And at some great prices. Got a couple of boys who'd love one of these...just as soon as they make them in lefthand.

ckd it out,,ballistics on 6.5 glendel not all that great at longer ranges,,6.5 creedmore has a lot more power.
And the 6.5 Weatherby beats all other commercial 6.5/.264 offerings... It should it's bigger, just like the Creedmore/Grendel comparison. The Grendel is meeting a niche as the Creedmore won't fit in as short an action like the Howa mini or an AR 15.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back