Yeti GOBOX Collection

How to show a land owner who seems to have everything your appreciation.....

Lostinthewoods

I'm probably over-thinking this, so please tell me if I am!

Last year I had the pleasure of taking a buddy on his first big game hunt ever.
He drew a NM antelope ranch hunt and I told him I would take him to help get his feet wet.

https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?273002-Buddies-NM-speed-goat <---- his hunt

Before the hunt I told him we should contact the ranch owner and ask him if we could come out and check the out the ranch.
I figured having a better idea of the ranch before going into the hunt would pay off dividends.
The ranch owner said to come on out and that he would take us around.

We went out to the ranch and the owner spent the next 3 hours driving us around, showing us spots, telling us stories, and really just bonded with us.
He was a super nice guy, very successful, and was big on family and supporting the military. (Both my buddy and I are Air Force)
We told him how we would respect his ranch, pick up trash if we saw it, and follow any other rules he may have.
(Camping rule of thumb...leaving it better than we found it.)

We were so appreciative of him taking us around that when we came out for the hunt we brought him goodies.
I brought him a few packs of oryx steaks, my buddy's wife made him cookies, and I pulled out a 37 year old bottle of scotch that we all sipped on as the sun set over the owners ranch....

So fast forward to today.
Apparently the owner really appreciated us coming out there that he called and basically poured gold into my ears.
He wants to give me a private ranch antelope tag and gave me the green light to hunt his ranch for mule deer.......
After I nearly fainted and said thank you 100x I began to think of how I could repay him.

What do you give something to a guy who already has everything he needs.
I want him to know how much I appreciate this gesture.
Tags for NM antelope are not cheap and he's offering me one for free....
Not to mention the last two goats taken from his property were 83" and 79".

If you were in my shoes..... what would you do?
He was VERY excited when I pulled out the old bottle of scotch.
Maybe I could buy him a nice bottle?
Offer my services around the ranch?
Go out for a day and offer to pick up all of his trash?

Thanks for any information or input that you can provide.

Certainly offer your services on the ranch, being Air Force myself, I can relate wanting to keep in the landowners good graces after getting permission. Up here, I have permission to hunt a ranch and help them out every time they call. I've helped mend fences, haul hay and helped with cutting pigs. You could also buy him a bottle of Blue Label before hunting season starts, they're​pretty cheap at the shoppette! But the one thing that I've found that they appreciate the most is a visit other than hunting season. Go out and just chat, see if they need anything from town before you head out for a visit. You've ran into a very good situation, good luck on the hunts!

I have a couple similar type landowners that let us hunt. They are so wealthy that they can buy anything they desire. Well, I fish, a lot, and one thing I have found that most folks really appreciate and enjoy is a cooler full of frozen walleyes and panfish. On one of our hunts I bring the fryer, veggies, the works, and insist on making and cleaning up everything for supper that evening for him, his wife, and anyone else that happens to be around the place on opening weekend. They love it and really appreciate the gesture.
I also have driven out and helped him with chores, and have plans to do the same this summer.
I hope all goes well for you and you shoot a whopper! and make a lifelong friend.

Being good guests as you were before, it seems you have already found your way to his respect. Some more personal food/libation gifts seem to be in order.

One gift that I have used for multiple families who have shown me kindness is a well composed and framed picture of some aspect of the land on which I have been permitted to recreate. A sunrise or sunset, a picture of the old homestead, a scenic view of a valley, even the commotion of a branding can all commemorate the land you now both cherish.

Sounds like a great hunt and a wonderful opportunity. We have done a couple different things for landowners who have allowed us access. One year my wife collected a bunch of my photos from the owner’s property and she created a really cool photobook from Shutterfly. Some pictures had captions or quotes and other pages held only photos. It was leather-bound and looked really nice. We sent it to the owner and his wife for a Christmas gift they absolutely loved it.

The next year we had a metal artist create a ranch sign with the owners brand on it...mountains and trees in the background. Another huge hit.

Maybe some Chainsaw art of their prized ranch animal or hound:) My brother in law is a chainsaw artist and I am blown away at some of his creations. His custom pet murals are unreal. He has donated to DU banquets/etc.

In my experience, something creative goes a long way if you are trying to get a gift for someone who has it all. Helping out around the ranch and picking up trash is all good stuff and like you say, a nice bottle…the Macallan 55 yr. old should be well received

You have a good problem. I would not go crazy. You like each other. Treat him as a friend.

Good bottle of Scotch cannot be wrong, especially if he shares.

Most ranchers are just good old boys.

You guys said you were in the military, but then said Air Force...how can you be considered military? :hump:

Retired Army here :cool:

:D :D :D

Lol!
Congrats on your retirement. I'm 9.5 years away until I hit my 20. :hump:

Being good guests as you were before, it seems you have already found your way to his respect. Some more personal food/libation gifts seem to be in order.

One gift that I have used for multiple families who have shown me kindness is a well composed and framed picture of some aspect of the land on which I have been permitted to recreate. A sunrise or sunset, a picture of the old homestead, a scenic view of a valley, even the commotion of a branding can all commemorate the land you now both cherish.

Man, you guys are providing some great input....
I by no means am a pro photographer, but I do have some nice equipment.
He as a mesa that overlooks his ranch. Maybe one morning I can climb up it and snap some nice sunrise (or sunset) photos and then do like you said.
Frame them up and mail them to him.

What a great suggestion, thank you!

I have a couple similar type landowners that let us hunt. They are so wealthy that they can buy anything they desire. Well, I fish, a lot, and one thing I have found that most folks really appreciate and enjoy is a cooler full of frozen walleyes and panfish. On one of our hunts I bring the fryer, veggies, the works, and insist on making and cleaning up everything for supper that evening for him, his wife, and anyone else that happens to be around the place on opening weekend. They love it and really appreciate the gesture.
I also have driven out and helped him with chores, and have plans to do the same this summer.
I hope all goes well for you and you shoot a whopper! and make a lifelong friend.

Wow, that's a killer recommendation right there... THANK YOU!
I didn't even think of that. Last time I just gave him some oryx steaks.
Maybe this year I can do like you said. Invite him and his wife out, cook them a very nice meal, clean, etc.

Thanks for the input!

Certainly offer your services on the ranch, being Air Force myself, I can relate wanting to keep in the landowners good graces after getting permission. Up here, I have permission to hunt a ranch and help them out every time they call. I've helped mend fences, haul hay and helped with cutting pigs. You could also buy him a bottle of Blue Label before hunting season starts, they're​pretty cheap at the shoppette! But the one thing that I've found that they appreciate the most is a visit other than hunting season. Go out and just chat, see if they need anything from town before you head out for a visit. You've ran into a very good situation, good luck on the hunts!

I'll probably give him a call when I get back from my deployment and ask if he's got anything that I can do.
If not I'll probably just tell him I'd like to show up and go around the ranch picking up trash/haul off garbage.

You make a good point with the last part though. Just showing up for a good chat.
He's a great guy, so I don't want all of this to come off as an "I want to just buy you stuff and you let me hunt."
I'd like it to spin into a nice friendship.

Thanks for the help! I'm very jealous you're out in WY...

If the man likes Scotch, sounds like a no-brainer.

Just put in an order for one.
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/7317/dalmore-king-alexander-iii#productReviews

The bottle I opened last year was a 1981 Dalmore. (35 year old, not 37 as mention in OP)

You have a good problem. I would not go crazy. You like each other. Treat him as a friend.

Good bottle of Scotch cannot be wrong, especially if he shares.

Most ranchers are just good old boys.

I've definitely lucked out on this one, bobbydean.
You're right, they are just good old boys and I just want to make sure he knows how much I appreciate it.

It's in unit 40. 45K acre ranch....

Sounds like a great hunt and a wonderful opportunity. We have done a couple different things for landowners who have allowed us access. One year my wife collected a bunch of my photos from the owner’s property and she created a really cool photobook from Shutterfly. Some pictures had captions or quotes and other pages held only photos. It was leather-bound and looked really nice. We sent it to the owner and his wife for a Christmas gift they absolutely loved it.

The next year we had a metal artist create a ranch sign with the owners brand on it...mountains and trees in the background. Another huge hit.

Maybe some Chainsaw art of their prized ranch animal or hound:) My brother in law is a chainsaw artist and I am blown away at some of his creations. His custom pet murals are unreal. He has donated to DU banquets/etc.

In my experience, something creative goes a long way if you are trying to get a gift for someone who has it all. Helping out around the ranch and picking up trash is all good stuff and like you say, a nice bottle…the Macallan 55 yr. old should be well received

You're the second person to recommend something to do with photography and I think that's a wonderful idea.
Something I've not heard of before and it really does sound meaningful.

It shouldn't be too hard for me to get around the ranch and get some good pictures.
Whether it's a collage, a few framed photos, etc... it all sounds like a great option.

I've not heard of chainsaw art, but I'll look it up as soon as I finish writing this post.
They raise a certain type of cattle that I'm not familiar with. I believe they are show steers that people rope?

Thanks for the recommendation!!

YES!!!!!!!!!
To all of it! :)

haha on it!
Thank you!

Thank you all for posting.
You've mentioned some great recommendations that I've never even thought of before.
I feel much better now being able to use some of this to show appreciation.

Thank you again.

Being landowner ( who does not have lots of money), my wants for hunters are just simple. Be respectful. I have had bottles of whiskey ( knob creek a good start) and other nice things given to me. Its the little things that makes me invite people back. Offering to help around property off season is a great!! Here are my BAD experiences of letting people hunt on my property or trespass past it to retrieve animal. These will not get you back

-Use my quads, leave them empty of gas
-use my side x side and try to hide damage
-don't hose off my ATV when finished
-don't close gates
-don't pick up any trash they leave behind ( bottles, candy bar wrappers)
- ride off trails leaving ruts
- cut my fences
- find a set of 340" sheds and assume its ok to keep ( maybe it iss but ask first)
- don't want to just hunt prime time and not come help with killings coyotes
- scouting land off season without letting me know ( I found out by trail cams)
- don't assume its ok to hunt ranches next to me without that owners permission ( that includes animals shot on my property tha run and die on theirs)

Should all be common sense right? You'd be surprised

Being landowner ( who does not have lots of money), my wants for hunters are just simple. Be respectful. I have had bottles of whiskey ( knob creek a good start) and other nice things given to me. Its the little things that makes me invite people back. Offering to help around property off season is a great!! Here are my BAD experiences of letting people hunt on my property or trespass past it to retrieve animal. These will not get you back

-Use my quads, leave them empty of gas
-use my side x side and try to hide damage
-don't hose off my ATV when finished
-don't close gates
-don't pick up any trash they leave behind ( bottles, candy bar wrappers)
- ride off trails leaving ruts
- cut my fences
- find a set of 340" sheds and assume its ok to keep ( maybe it iss but ask first)
- don't want to just hunt prime time and not come help with killings coyotes
- scouting land off season without letting me know ( I found out by trail cams)
- don't assume its ok to hunt ranches next to me without that owners permission ( that includes animals shot on my property tha run and die on theirs)

Should all be common sense right? You'd be surprised

I was hoping some land owners would respond to this, so thank you for taking the time to write it.
All great recommendations and yep, common sense, but I do know it's not common for everyone.

The gates and driving on already established roads were a big thing for me when I was out there.
He had a LOT of animals on his ranch and I did not want to mess anything up. I made sure to triple check every gate.
When my buddy shot his goat we called the owner, explained where we were, and if it was ok to leave the two track and move closer to the animal.
I didn't want to leave ruts!

Thanks again for taking the time to post.
I hope that you only have good experiences with hunters in your future.

Good advice above.
Your spot on with the do not drive on the feed ,stay on roads. The calling him on the game recovery made golden points I'm sure.
Bring your fence pliers,tools & several pairs of gloves. Offer to mend fences or other work around the ranch.
A pic of a windmill,old homestead cabin or his spread from the mesa.
The trash deal is just what a considerate hunter would do.

If he is in NM then quality produce is hard to come by,bring his wife a box of peaches, oranges or better yet homemade jam.
As a landowner in NM being a real honest person is all that is needed & appreciated.

Last edited:
Good advice above.
Your spot on with the do not drive on the feed ,stay on roads. The calling him on the game recovery made golden points I'm sure.
Bring your fence pliers,tools & several pairs of gloves. Offer to mend fences or other work around the ranch.
A pic of a windmill,old homestead cabin or his spread from the mesa.
The trash deal is just what a considerate hunter would do.

If he is in NM then quality produce is hard to come by,bring his wife a box of peaches, oranges or better yet homemade jam.
As a landowner in NM being a real honest person is all that is needed & appreciated.

The quality produce tip is a real good one too.
I'll be traveling out from Florida on my way to NM, so I could grab some fresh stuff on the way.
Oranges will definitely be on that list!

I'll definitely be trying to help in any way I can.
If it's not on his ranch in unit 40 he's got two more ranches in unit 46 that maybe he needs hand with.

Thanks for the recommendations, Hank.

Dad, always told us when we were hunting on private that if a gate is open, leave it open; if closed, close it no matter how long you will be. He would check back in with landowner to see if gate/gates were indeed supposed to be open. Couple of times should have been closed and were not, so we would drive back and close so landowner wouldn't have to interrupt his day to do it.

As a landowner, I would say respect the land, don't bring friends, call before you come out, be friendly, and bring a nice bottle....I liked the photo idea.
Most of all I want my land left how it was and for the guy to be genuinely friendly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back