How to show a land owner who seems to have everything your appreciation.....

Being good guests as you were before, it seems you have already found your way to his respect. Some more personal food/libation gifts seem to be in order.

One gift that I have used for multiple families who have shown me kindness is a well composed and framed picture of some aspect of the land on which I have been permitted to recreate. A sunrise or sunset, a picture of the old homestead, a scenic view of a valley, even the commotion of a branding can all commemorate the land you now both cherish.

I agree with Kansasdad. I have a ranch like that in Wyoming. I LOVE these people. So fun to sit down a down share a meal or stories around the table. Hospitality goes a long way and is HEARTFELT AND GENUINE :) I will be stopping by in a week while turkey hunting just to say high and see how everyone is doing.

Two other suggestions: 1. as a farm boy I like helping out. I helped cut wood and fix fence for one of my friends while I was there. 2. There are a lot of places on the internet where you can make "books". I took a ton of photos of the hunt and the ranch (sunsets, windmills, animals, people and other stuff). Made it into a book and gave the rancher a book. they loved the book.

good luck to all
the dog

Gifts are a good start but you walk a thin line with gifts.
How about trying to become friends. It sounds like you are well on your way.
First call and bs in the off season. Especially when you are not asking for something. If he mentions a trip or something he is excited about call and ask how it went. Always be genuine and sincere. Nobody likes only being called when someone wants something.
Sounds elementary right? Unfortunately in today's world it's​easy to get busy and forget the people around us.

Visit in the off season. The gift ideas are great, but I agree, just treat him like a friend. Send a polite thank you card, and a Christmas card. If you want to just hunt that's fine but don't be surprised when you get "outbid" for access. You'll notice that select friends and family are allowed to hunt even long after places are leased etc. put yourself in that camp and enjoy the friendship.

I have a similar circumstance with a rancher in Wyoming. He and his wife have given me and my buddies access to hunt their ranch for antelope twice now, and they let us stay in the bunkhouse for the ranch hands and even had us over to their house for cheesecake one night. I take a lot of pictures, and one afternoon we were watching the rancher work cows on horseback. I took a photo of him on his horse cutting out a calf, went into town and had it developed in sepia tone like an old western photo, framed it, and gave it to him. You would have thought we gave him a million bucks! It's things like that that mean the most to landowners that have everything already.

Even on one of my whitetail hunting farms in Indiana, the landowner (quite wealthy) loved pheasants, but complained that coyotes had killed most of the birds on his farm. I had cameras out and got a gorgeous crystal clear picture of a rooster pheasant. I framed it as an 8x10 and gave it to him...he was beyond excited and ended up giving me permission on another farm he owned.

Last edited:
I have a similar circumstance with a rancher in Wyoming. He and his wife have given me and my buddies access to hunt their ranch for antelope twice now, and they let us stay in the bunkhouse for the ranch hands and even had us over to their house for cheesecake one night. I take a lot of pictures, and one afternoon we were watching the rancher work cows on horseback. I took a photo of him on his horse cutting out a calf, went into town and had it developed in sepia tone like an old western photo, framed it, and gave it to him. You would have thought we gave him a million bucks! It's things like that that mean the most to landowners that have everything already.

Now I want cheesecake... thanks!
The picture thing is a very common theme now and I think it's a great idea.
I'm going to have my camera on me the whole time I'm out there and try to get some awesome shots!

Gifts are a good start but you walk a thin line with gifts.
How about trying to become friends. It sounds like you are well on your way.
First call and bs in the off season. Especially when you are not asking for something. If he mentions a trip or something he is excited about call and ask how it went. Always be genuine and sincere. Nobody likes only being called when someone wants something.
Sounds elementary right? Unfortunately in today's world it's​easy to get busy and forget the people around us.

Great post and you make some very good points. I will be sure not to come off as someone who just wants something or who try to buy my way in with gifts.
That's the opposite of what i want. I just really want to show my appreciation.

Visit in the off season. The gift ideas are great, but I agree, just treat him like a friend. Send a polite thank you card, and a Christmas card. If you want to just hunt that's fine but don't be surprised when you get "outbid" for access. You'll notice that select friends and family are allowed to hunt even long after places are leased etc. put yourself in that camp and enjoy the friendship.

I agree with Kansasdad. I have a ranch like that in Wyoming. I LOVE these people. So fun to sit down a down share a meal or stories around the table. Hospitality goes a long way and is HEARTFELT AND GENUINE :) I will be stopping by in a week while turkey hunting just to say high and see how everyone is doing.

Two other suggestions: 1. as a farm boy I like helping out. I helped cut wood and fix fence for one of my friends while I was there. 2. There are a lot of places on the internet where you can make "books". I took a ton of photos of the hunt and the ranch (sunsets, windmills, animals, people and other stuff). Made it into a book and gave the rancher a book. they loved the book.

good luck to all
the dog

I'll be heading out there in July. I'll try to stop in and say hi or take him out to lunch.
He's great people and I'd love to keep a friendship going.

As a landowner, I would say respect the land, don't bring friends, call before you come out, be friendly, and bring a nice bottle....I liked the photo idea.
Most of all I want my land left how it was and for the guy to be genuinely friendly.

I hear you on the friends bit....
I'm not like that and refuse to be.

Once a few of my buddies found out what was going on the storm begun.... "Can you introduce me to him? Can you bring me out there to meet him? Can you hook me up..." etc..... NO GUYS!
Even on one of my whitetail hunting farms in Indiana, the landowner (quite wealthy) loved pheasants, but complained that coyotes had killed most of the birds on his farm. I had cameras out and got a gorgeous crystal clear picture of a rooster pheasant. I framed it as an 8x10 and gave it to him...he was beyond excited and ended up giving me permission on another farm he owned.

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back