NEW SITKA Ambient 75

How many people are mad at me? Arizona Elk Tag

Correct me if you guys disagree but I've been told that the vast majority of the people will be where those county roads are in the northwest portion of the unit. There's also a ton of elk there and a couple of great bulls get taken out of it every year. I'm looking at scouting out the Bear Wallow Wilderness, some of the Blue Range Primitive Area, and around the fringes of both of these locations. From what I've been told there's a lot less hunters in this area. Also have been told the pressure will greatly decrease after the first weekend. Seems silly to me that people would draw this tag and only hunt the first few days....but I guess it's possible.

Those roads do get hit hard but it may be because thats where the vast majority of the roads are. The burn has made it easier to see the elk but, you also need to be a division 1 hurdler to negotiate the blow downs in order to get to said elk.
Get a flatline map of the north half of the unit, it helps immensely.
The wilderness and primitive areas are great options, but rugged. Bring a friend with a strong back and weak mind or do some research on finding a horse/mule outfit for hire. Getting an elk out of the Blue solo, will punch you square in the soul.
Setting up a blind or stand isn't necessarily for daily use. After 3 or 4 days of those wiley wapiti mind :hump:ing you into hiking up and down the mountain, your body will get tired. Those stands make for a nice place to rest without losing any hunting time.

Dave

I measured a bull from unit 27 at this years P&Y panel measurement.........the most mass I've ever seen on a bull......GIANT for sure that netted north of 400". You've got one of the best tags in the entire state, IMO. Kudos!

Watched the AZ bow record bull leave NM for 27 a few years back. He was in my draw unit,then got found & pushed into AZ. Think it scored 427bc,5 mi in from NM.
Blue Range & the Dry Blue.

Congratulations!
You are in for sleep deprivation, poor work ethics, and just plane lack of being able to pay attention to anything but planning that hunt. I loose all focus the last couple of months before a hunt like that begins.
Best of Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those roads do get hit hard but it may be because thats where the vast majority of the roads are. The burn has made it easier to see the elk but, you also need to be a division 1 hurdler to negotiate the blow downs in order to get to said elk.
Get a flatline map of the north half of the unit, it helps immensely.
The wilderness and primitive areas are great options, but rugged. Bring a friend with a strong back and weak mind or do some research on finding a horse/mule outfit for hire. Getting an elk out of the Blue solo, will punch you square in the soul.
Setting up a blind or stand isn't necessarily for daily use. After 3 or 4 days of those wiley wapiti mind :hump:ing you into hiking up and down the mountain, your body will get tired. Those stands make for a nice place to rest without losing any hunting time.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I'll look at a packer after I go down and scout it out a bit. And depending on their price. 3 of the last 4 bulls I've killed have been 2 day pack outs, so I'm no stranger to soul punchers. Shows how many friends I have that go in deep with me anymore Hahahaha.

Hey there
I drew a 27 late rifle tag this years I saw your older post and thought I would reach out to see how your hunt went. Please let me know if you have any good advise
Thanks

Hey there
I drew a 27 late rifle tag this years I saw your older post and thought I would reach out to see how your hunt went. Please let me know if you have any good advise
Thanks
He hasn't been on since 2018. Better try plan B. Congrats on drawing and good luck!

I’ll text him and see if he can come back a answer some questions.
Matt
No need, let him be. I was trying to point the other mrmber in the right direction. I have no skin in the game on this!

First off- IM BACK! I had basically turned into a lurker as I couldn’t get logged on. Don’t know the rhyme or reason (thought maybe Randy gave me the boot after drawing AZ) but I got it all figured out and reset now.

Secondly- I would hardly say I “puffed up” about drawing. I was extremely excited as anyone would be and yes I put in for a tag I knew nothing about, like most of us do, and wanted to put as many feelers out there as I could to try and be as prepared as possible going into that hunt. If that’s puffing up then shame on me.

Thirdly and about the unit - it’s flat out an awesome place. I have story after story of the hunt that I’ll gladly share if guys are still invested in this thread. To put it simply I could’ve filled my tag plenty of times but I did not. I’m trying to remember my stats but I think I passed up 12 bulls I had within archery range and 9 of those were six points. Just small. I was very nervous about the whole thing all summer just simply having a tag like that and the allure of Arizona. However, I became quite the “elk snob” as I killed a 363” bull in Wyoming 3 days before I was set to leave on September 13th. I then packed out said bull until 2 in the morning, then all through the next day. So I was sleep deprived september 12th as I packed everything for AZ and then woke up early to start the trip. So I took it a little bit slow in the beginning and that really was a mistake as the bulls were charged up the first couple days. After killing the big bull in Wyoming I had the mind set of “if it’s not bigger than what I just killed, I’m not killing it.” Well after a week or so I had found 2 bulls that I got good looks at. One I estimated at 365 and the other 355. I hunted these bulls exclusively for the second half of the hunt and failed.

To Ooowillow, as much information I have I don’t know that it will translate much to late season. I know of some second hand info from where bulls “should be” but I think that will all change depending on snow levels up top. I’ll answer your PM!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Trent. I should draw a general elk tag this fall and will be focusing on labarge creek. Hope all is well...

First off- IM BACK! I had basically turned into a lurker as I couldn’t get logged on. Don’t know the rhyme or reason (thought maybe Randy gave me the boot after drawing AZ) but I got it all figured out and reset now.

Secondly- I would hardly say I “puffed up” about drawing. I was extremely excited as anyone would be and yes I put in for a tag I knew nothing about, like most of us do, and wanted to put as many feelers out there as I could to try and be as prepared as possible going into that hunt. If that’s puffing up then shame on me.

Thirdly and about the unit - it’s flat out an awesome place. I have story after story of the hunt that I’ll gladly share if guys are still invested in this thread. To put it simply I could’ve filled my tag plenty of times but I did not. I’m trying to remember my stats but I think I passed up 12 bulls I had within archery range and 9 of those were six points. Just small. I was very nervous about the whole thing all summer just simply having a tag like that and the allure of Arizona. However, I became quite the “elk snob” as I killed a 363” bull in Wyoming 3 days before I was set to leave on September 13th. I then packed out said bull until 2 in the morning, then all through the next day. So I was sleep deprived september 12th as I packed everything for AZ and then woke up early to start the trip. So I took it a little bit slow in the beginning and that really was a mistake as the bulls were charged up the first couple days. After killing the big bull in Wyoming I had the mind set of “if it’s not bigger than what I just killed, I’m not killing it.” Well after a week or so I had found 2 bulls that I got good looks at. One I estimated at 365 and the other 355. I hunted these bulls exclusively for the second half of the hunt and failed.

To Ooowillow, as much information I have I don’t know that it will translate much to late season. I know of some second hand info from where bulls “should be” but I think that will all change depending on snow levels up top. I’ll answer your PM!

Did you post the Wyoming hunt?

I did. I went back and found it here.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back