Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

How many miles?

I’ll mess up the average a bit. I probably average 6-10 a day but I have done 20 mile days.
Dsnow.... you must be in great marathon shape and maybe a little crazy! Don't you think you may betx wasting valuable time walking instead of actual hunting or glassing? Perhaps you need to find new places to hunt that have elk closer to where you park. Do you have any idea how many elk you may have walk past, hidden perhaps in little pockets, just off your trail or path. There are numerous secondary roads in all western states in our National Forests that are in prime elk country; and, usually during the rut and later when snow is on the ground, the elk cross these roads very frequently. Hunters needs to be flexible and need to hunt smart with effective tactics and save energy for what could be several pack out trips. If you're in 10 to 20 miles without pack animals, you'll need more than being in marathon shape.

Dsnow.... you must be in great marathon shape and maybe a little crazy! Don't you think you may betx wasting valuable time walking instead of actual hunting or glassing? Perhaps you need to find new places to hunt that have elk closer to where you park. Do you have any idea how many elk you may have walk past, hidden perhaps in little pockets, just off your trail or path. There are numerous secondary roads in all western states in our National Forests that are in prime elk country; and, usually during the rut and later when snow is on the ground, the elk cross these roads very frequently. Hunters needs to be flexible and need to hunt smart with effective tactics and save energy for what could be several pack out trips. If you're in 10 to 20 miles without pack animals, you'll need more than being in marathon shape.
How many animals did you harvest this year? How many days hunted per animal harvested? You obviously know nothing about me…

FCADB3CE-1DC2-4E46-8986-CE64A4D090D5.jpeg

I'm starting to think you haven't a clue about hunting much of anything.

I was correct! You're probably in great shape and a little crazy...good set up! And you no nothing about me.
I wasn’t the one telling someone how to hunt differently. I actually said nothing about your way of hunting and you took it upon yourself to critique my hunting and tell me I need to do it differently.

So, if your way is so good and I’m so wrong I’m happy to hear your advice. I was curious how many animals and how many days per animal you spent. I don’t think anyone on this thread but you would get offended by that question.

It depends on where I'm glassing from. If I'm in a good spot with lots of sign I might sit there from before daylight till after dark.
Could be 1-2 miles or if I'm looking over new country looking for sign it might be 5-6 miles but I'm always looking for someplace to glass from because it's more efficient to hunt through the binos than wander around blindly hoping to see an animal.

There's lots of different situations but I hike a lot less than I used to. If you're in a decent area for glassing, I don't think you should be hiking a whole lot to find elk. Although you absolutely SHOULD be hiking in the dark to your glassing locations. Find elk with your optics 1-3 miles out and then go bust your ass if you need to in order to kill one. Don't kill yourself finding elk.

There's lots of different situations but I hike a lot less than I used to. If you're in a decent area for glassing, I don't think you should be hiking a whole lot to find elk. Although you absolutely SHOULD be hiking in the dark to your glassing locations. Find elk with your optics 1-3 miles out and then go bust your ass if you need to in order to kill one. Don't kill yourself finding elk.
Well stated. Sounds like you hunt smart. Others probably need to take your advice, then they wouldn't need to walk so far.

Well stated. Sounds like you hunt smart. Others probably need to take your advice, then they wouldn't need to walk so far.
Answer the questions man. I’m trying to learn from the experts!!!!

How many animals?

How many days per animal?

Oh yeah, public or private?

Might as well add how many points the tag took to draw?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back