Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How many miles?

Dsnow.... you must be in great marathon shape and maybe a little crazy! Don't you think you may betx wasting valuable time walking instead of actual hunting or glassing? Perhaps you need to find new places to hunt that have elk closer to where you park. Do you have any idea how many elk you may have walk past, hidden perhaps in little pockets, just off your trail or path. There are numerous secondary roads in all western states in our National Forests that are in prime elk country; and, usually during the rut and later when snow is on the ground, the elk cross these roads very frequently. Hunters needs to be flexible and need to hunt smart with effective tactics and save energy for what could be several pack out trips. If you're in 10 to 20 miles without pack animals, you'll need more than being in marathon shape.

Average person hikes 3-4 miles an hour, so 10 miles a day is 2-3hours of walking a day. That leaves a lot of time for glassing.

BTW that 10,000 steps everyone is going for every day is 5 miles… if Janice in accounting is getting 5 miles every day walking around the cubes to find out the hot gos I can walk 9-10 for a boool

Last edited by a moderator:
Average person hikes 3-4 miles an hour, so 10 miles a day is 2-3hours of walking a day. That leaves a lot of time for glassing.

BTW that 10,000 steps everyone is going for every day is 5 miles… if Janice in accounting is getting 5 miles every day walking around the cubes to find out the hot gos I can walk 9-10 for a boool
Hiking 4 miles an hour with a pack, rifle, and off trail on anything with a slope...yeah, that's hauling the mail.

I think you need to take about 50% off there Squirrely Dan.

Hiking 4 miles an hour with a pack, rifle, and off trail on anything with a slope...yeah, that's hauling the mail.

Answer the questions man. I’m trying to learn from the experts!!!!

How many animals?

How many days per animal?

Oh yeah, public or private?

Might as well add how many points the tag took to draw?
I only hunt at Ted Turner's Reserve west of Raton, N. M., usually from a helicopter.

Maybe you need to run lift shoot some more.

I've never kept much track but was watching my routes sometimes while scouting/hunting sheep and know I was tettering on 1mph pace with a full pack.

It all comes down to weight and elevation for me. I think 3 miles fully loaded into camp is about my comfort zone. That’s usually with snow as well. When I just have a day pack, I tend to do about 6-8 but I have the misadventure from time to time which may add up to 15+. Especially with deer, 10-15 is a pretty normal day.

I only hunt at Ted Turner's Reserve west of Raton, N. M., usually from a helicopter.
Nice deflection and if true, good on you! You must have worked hard and had a good career to afford something like that. I’d rather spend my money in a different way than that though.

I think distance is the wrong question, what’s more relevant is how much time do you spend hiking.

About 4 miles a day if it’s “easy”walking. Shot one this year 700 yards from the camp and truck. My buddy shot one 2 miles straight line from the truck. He likes to walk and I like to glass and wait. I don’t think I want to pack one more than 2 miles.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back