PEAX Equipment

How many chains?

Buzz, I see the claws are sold 2 per set. Are 2 claws (1 set) on each rear or front wheels enough to get you out of deep snow or mud?
Do you like them better than chains, or just easier to put on
thx

I had a set on the rear and those things grip and dig like nothing I've ever seen, worked in my situation. If you do a search on you-tube you can find people that have put multiple sets on the rear tires. Also, the extender bars are great for anytime you get high centered, but can only be used on the rear tires (obviously). Also, make sure you don't run them through the rim where your valve stem is...you'll get a flat. I didn't do that, but the guy I borrowed them from said he learned that lesson the hard way.

When you're in a pinch, they definitely are wayyyy easier to put on than chains. Seems like the only time I'm putting chains on is after I'm stuck, which is a huge PITA almost every time.

I'll not be without a set of these...

I carry 4. I was in a really bad situation in 2016. Wouldn't of made it out without all 4, 4 low, and a rear locker. Steep mountain road, went down in the morning when it was frozen, never really thought about it. Went back up in the afternoon and it was soup, made it half way up before i started sliding back wards.

I had a set on the rear and those things grip and dig like nothing I've ever seen, worked in my situation. If you do a search on you-tube you can find people that have put multiple sets on the rear tires. Also, the extender bars are great for anytime you get high centered, but can only be used on the rear tires (obviously). Also, make sure you don't run them through the rim where your valve stem is...you'll get a flat. I didn't do that, but the guy I borrowed them from said he learned that lesson the hard way.

When you're in a pinch, they definitely are wayyyy easier to put on than chains. Seems like the only time I'm putting chains on is after I'm stuck, which is a huge PITA almost every time.

Never thought much of them - especially for the price. But I'm warming up. especially when they go on easy. I have a heck of a time with chains. Still on my list to make a block to drive up up like B.Chukarman illustrated.
Thanks for the input

I saw them online then saw 2 guys I know always have chains hanging still on their trucks & they swear by them now. Sometimes it only takes a few feet .....

I just keep 2 in the truck. I've actually never had to chain up, although there have been a few times it was pretty iffy. My wife's jeep got stuck this winter and I was about to chain up to pull her out but another guy came along and helped.

I always figured I'd go on the front as thats where the weight is, and the steering, but I've heard people that say rear is better - not sure why.

I carry 4 but only used all 4 one time to get unstuck. Granted I'm not that comfortable driving under extreme conditions. when in doubt I usually park and walk.

Problem is when you chain up the rear and you can't steer at all. You need a buddy to walk in front to keep the nose going straight. If there is any incline decline and its slick stuff 4 is needed most often.

...just sayin',some (most) vehicles these days cannot use REAL chains on the fronts without modifications....most heavier trucks must have chains all around too ,regardless of ability to chain fronts....just sayin...lol

I only have one set for the rear on my '98 Tacoma,& that's all I have ever needed....it is also all that will fit unless I put spacers on & change this & that. Also that is what is recommended in owners manual.
I need some for the Ford I got...just in case.
I use fairly aggressive tires here due to roads we have & I just don't get myself into bad situations if I can help it any more. Better to wait a while in NM if conditions get iffy,I have found. But I carry a bunch of extraction stuff regularly & use it when needed. Usually helping someone else get out of my way....LOL.
I checked the owners manual and it recommended chains only in the rear tires so that's what I will probably do.

I checked the owners manual and it recommended chains only in the rear tires so that's what I will probably do.

I bet this is due to clearance up front with control arms or struts. My F150 states to not even use chains with the factory wheels due to lack of clearance. If you have aftermarket wheels, I bet it wouldn't be an issue. Thats what I have done... just ordered new wheels. Not the entire reason I wanted new wheels, but it was an added benefit!

I wanted to revive this thread. I’ve been look at chains for the truck and am having a hard time deciding.

My 2017 F150 says I can only run S type chains on the rear. They all say not for off-road use., which is exactly where I need them.

I looked at the truck and the rear has a ton of clearance, even at articulation I should have room.

I am debating on 5.5MM standard or stepping up to the 7.1mm Vbar for just the rear. I don’t have much room in the front, but I think I could clear the S-type 3.5mm.

So just run just the Vbar on the rear?

Or get the S type for the from and 5.5 for the rears?

Or run S type all the way around?

I wanted to revive this thread. I’ve been look at chains for the truck and am having a hard time deciding.

My 2017 F150 says I can only run S type chains on the rear. They all say not for off-road use., which is exactly where I need them.

I looked at the truck and the rear has a ton of clearance, even at articulation I should have room.

I am debating on 5.5MM standard or stepping up to the 7.1mm Vbar for just the rear. I don’t have much room in the front, but I think I could clear the S-type 3.5mm.

So just run just the Vbar on the rear?

Or get the S type for the from and 5.5 for the rears?

Or run S type all the way around?

I carry one set of v bar chains for the rear tires with me. They will get you out of a bind. That’s all I’ve ever needed.

I try to use my ATV when it gets bad. I hate chaining up.

We always just chained the front on our older vehicles and was enough for 90 percent of the time, all four was when it was really steep or icy. Clearance issues with the front on many newer trucks is now an issue make sure they will clear.

On a late season hunting trip a few years ago we took another guys truck but I threw my chains in just in case. Fortunately we had the same size tires. He didn't want to chain up because his owners manual recommends against using chains. On a steep side hill his back tires slid into a ditch and we were not able to dig it out. I broke out my chains and started installing them on the front of his truck. He was not happy but I asked if he wanted to walk home or drive home? As long as he didn't turn sharply the chains would not rub. He drove out of the ditch forward about 100 yards then we took them off. Since he could keep the wheels relatively straight the chains were fine.
You may only need a few feet sometimes to get out of a problem but if you need them you need them. I carry 4 chains. Heavy V-bar chains for the back and a set of diamond shaped chain/cables for the front because that inside cable is smaller than real chains. Les Schwab sells the diamond type for $125 +- for my tire size. I have broken the diamond type when we hit a really rocky area once and we were towing a trailer. The tires were spinning on the ice occasionally. I have never broken good heavy duty chains. I almost never chain all 4 tires but if I have to I can.

I carry one set of v bar chains for the rear tires with me. They will get you out of a bind. That’s all I’ve ever needed.

I try to use my ATV when it gets bad. I hate chaining up.

Have you been up Jonny Ridge Rd? That steep hill on it and switch backs is what’s on my mind. I would hate coming down that if it snowed heavy without a way to steer.

Have you been up Jonny Ridge Rd? That steep hill on it and switch backs is what’s on my mind. I would hate coming down that if it snowed heavy without a way to steer.

Yes, you can usually drive up without them, but coming down, I chain up the rear. Deep snow is not the problem. It gets packed into solid ice by road hunters.

Yes, you can usually drive up without them, but coming down, I chain up the rear. Deep snow is not the problem. It gets packed into solid ice by road hunters.

Would you feel safe with a trailer coming down it with just the rear Vbars?

I’ve only ever ran chains on the back of our tractors. It turned it into a bulldozer on hard pack.

^What mtmuley said. It wouldn’t take much for a trailer to jackknife going down hill in those conditions.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back