How many chains?

What are you guys doing with the excess links on the inside of the tire? The chains I ordered are big for my tires and I have all 4 links dangling inside. I zip tied them back to the main chain tonight and it was fine. Just don’t know how well a zip tie will hold up.

What are you guys doing with the excess links on the inside of the tire? The chains I ordered are big for my tires and I have all 4 links dangling inside. I zip tied them back to the main chain tonight and it was fine. Just don’t know how well a zip tie will hold up.
Zip ties are fine. Tie wire works too. I carry both. If you will use those chains on those tires specifically, cut a couple links off. mtmuley

Zip ties are fine. Tie wire works too. I carry both. If you will use those chains on those tires specifically, cut a couple links off. mtmuley

I thought about that tonight, I decided not to for when I upgrade to a diesel. These chains should fit the quite a bit larger tire they come with.

I am definitely going to have to by the rubber tensioners. The only way I could get them right tonight was with a bungee cord.
7A05FABF-B738-45C9-9160-28C91E0A2EE8.jpeg

Those chains look to me to be way too big for that tire. Be careful. They sometimes do nasty damage when coming loose. mtmuley

Those chains look to me to be way too big for that tire. Be careful. They sometimes do nasty damage when coming loose. mtmuley

I used tire chain.com’s size finder. Looking at the receipt they sent me a different part # from what I ordered. I have a email out to them to see what happened.

Worst case is they will work, I drove around the yard and thru some sandy dirt. They stayed tight with the bungees.

I used tire chain.com’s size finder. Looking at the receipt they sent me a different part # from what I ordered. I have a email out to them to see what happened.

Worst case is they will work, I drove around the yard and thru some sandy dirt. They stayed tight with the bungees.
Might try some of the black bungees that are sold next to the tarps at ranch stores and run several of them to take up that slack. They come in different lengths so you should be able to find the length that is nice and tight using hooks to connect to the chain. That will be tighter and more dependable than using a long fabric style bungee like that which will likely break quickly under use due to the chain rubbing on bungee.

Back