• 7"

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 7.5"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, but if I tell you it's a quarter pounder with cheese (since I am Ronald) you'll believe me, right? Even if you can't see the cheese? ;)

So, I just saw your answer over on your blog. Do you really believe that? I'm awaiting the "Discussion" portion of this lessson....

So what that score sheet says is that a dollar bill when placed on the back of the horn and layed out across that prong... leaves an extra 2" of horn... no frikkin way.

I take the SCI record buck with a grain of salt to say the least. There are numerous Idaho elk listed in its book that claim to be wild but are from any number of the various game farms in east Idaho.

Oops, just saw your answer posted in this thread. So what is your take-home message? SCI stands for __________ (Greenhorn, fill in the blank, I can't remember)?

Honestly, I think SCI's Record Book is more accurate than B&C's, although they both miss the mark on some things. B&C's glaring omissions and archaic panel scoring system need to be fixed and revamped. Check out their last Awards Banquet on their website! Notice the lack of a single pronghorn?! I could tell you exactly why they didn't have any, but I won't on this public forum. ;) If I posted on this board what I know about B&C I might become suspect number one on their hit list. B&C is too political. SCI is perhaps a little to naive.

Also, SCI's Record Book has a section for "farm raised" game...I wonder why these Idaho Elk aren't just listed in that section? And even if they are listed in the incorrect section it really reflects nothing about SCI or their system - it only shows that these particular hunters are willing (and succeeding) in cheating. They could do the exact same thing with B&C if they wanted to "fake" where they harvested the animals or how they harvested them. The trust with any scoring system has to begin with the hunter.

Oak: No, I believe the prong is between 5 and 6 inches. Basically reflecting the exact belief of the "Wisdom of Crowds" response we gained through this poll.

I did email them once to clear this up, but I got no response. I'll try again shortly. We used to know the guy who ran the records portion of their book and he was always working with us on correcting small mistakes here and there. Unfortunately he moved to a different branch and I don't really know who heads up the records portion anymore.

I could tell you exactly why they didn't have any, but I won't on this public forum. ;)

colorado.oak at gmail.com :)

I am not a fan of the B&C scoring system for a few reasons. The panel scoring system, at least for the awards period animals, makes little sense to me. I can maybe understand it for a top 5 entry, but why require it for an arbitrary number of top entries in the awards period? Also, I have some issues with the pronghorn scoring system, but I'll keep those to myself.

I like the B&C records book for the simple fact that it gives a good comparison of areas and eras. I wish more people would (truthfully) enter their harvests, just for this reason.

I have no use for the SCI records program. I just think there is too much funny stuff going on there. I do have a mountain goat that would be tied for 3rd all time if I entered it, though. ;)

Thanks for the quiz. Hope you post some more.

Those prongs look like 5 4/8" max to me.....

Oak.....I agree about SCI record books and scoring...I shot a wolf in the NWT back in 1991 that would be the SCI world record...enter it? Nope.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back