Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 7.5"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EliAGrimmett

Curious to see what everyone thinks of these prongs! The buck is from Wyoming.

Cast your vote.

If you know how long the prongs are please refrain from voting. Also, if you've voted over at The Arizona Hunter Forum you don't need to cast your vote again.
ProngLengthVoting.jpg

Prongs for reference:

The short prong on this buck is 8"
1985_MikeOHaco.JPG

The short prong on this buck is 5-6/8"
Blade.jpg

The short prong on this buck is 6-5/8"
KevinRobinson.jpg

I think the mass on the top end makes them deceiving, but I wouldn't take my word for it. I'm going with . . . . "What is 6.5" Alex?"

Question from a newbie antelope hunter.
Where do you measure the prongs from on the horn. I already voted 5.5 with what i am thinking but am not real sure i am even looking at them right. Thanks

Excerpt pulled from B&C website:

E. LENGTH OF PRONG
Measure from the tip of the prong along the upper edge of the outer side to the horn; then continue around the horn to a point at the rear of the horn where straight edge across the back of both horns touches the horn, with the latter part being at a right angle to the long axis of the horn.

My example photo:
_MG_0154-2.jpg

Last edited:
I think the mass on the top end makes them deceiving, but I wouldn't take my word for it. I'm going with . . . . "What is 6.5" Alex?"

I was thinking the same thing Spitz. And, I was going to vote for 6.5", but will give him the benefit of some more mass and go with 7".

Thanks makes alot more sense for some of the measurements. Trying to learn as much as i can before going on another hunt.

Ha, I know absolutely nothing about scoring antelope and assumed the prong was measured the same way a tine on antlered game was, so you can all just ignore that four inch vote up there.

Well, I decided to post a photo showing something I do in Photoshop a lot with antelope to try and help me score them.

ProngLengthVotingWithArrows.jpg

Since we know that most antelope eyes are between 1-6/8" to 2-1/8" we can usually assume an eye measurement of either 1-7/8" or 2". I gave this mounted buck the benefit of the doubt and said 2". Also, and this is critical, is that the mass "behind the prong" (the part of the prong measurement I believe Randy11 and shoots-straight were leaving out) is nearly always between 2-2/8" and 2-6/8" on mature bucks. Even the World's Record, one of the most massive bucks ever, was only 2-6/8" "behind the horn".

I realize the arrow in the photo is straight and the prong is slightly curved. I also realize that the photo angle may be ever so slightly misleading, but I still think the arrows are very useful in this pic.

If my arrows are even close it really only leaves one tiny measurement to be "guessed" and that's how much prong length is left over at the end of the arrow.

I know this is probably a trick question. I cant give him over 6", hell at first glance I cant even give him 6. but thats what my vote went in as.

I went with 5.5 before I read the whole thread. I still don't think I'm that far off, but I'm guessing that this is some sort of a trick question and that is why it is posted here.

I gave him 5, no way has 6, lucky to have 5. Just my opinion from that view.

I guessed 5.25 but there was no 5.25 on the vote selections. so I went with 5.5

I voted 5, before Eli posted the marked up photo. Heck, I voted 5 on his blog poll, before it was even posted here. ;)

That's a nice bell curve you have going there.

I can't see over 5" unless they really curl or wrap in, and he's gotta be awful heavy from the front view. Pictures from one angle are tough though.

Alright, we have about 50 votes between the two sites I posted this on.

The average of the 50 votes was 5.55", the median 5.5".

The longest guess was 7.5" and the smallest guess was 4".

There was almost no deviation between the two different sites; AZ Hunter had a 5.52 average and Hunt Talk had a 5.57 average.

The official score of this buck is 97-4/8" SCI and the buck currently ranks #2 in their record book.

If we use this SCI score and use the buck's left prong (the closest one to us in the photo) then I guess we could say that NOT A SINGLE PERSON guessed the prong length correctly. The buck's left prong is listed in the SCI record book at 7-7/8".

I think we can also safely say that if this prong is 7-7/8" then I'm Ronald McDonald!

ronald-mcdonald-small.jpg

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back