How do you conquer mid winter boredom?

Assign papers, proofread papers, grade papers

Do weekly homework for the most niche literature class of all time

Read through 20-25 scholarly articles over and over and over in preparation for my comprehensive exam

In other words, hunting season and Christmas break are over, and I'm back in school 😢

I've been slamming the yellow perch ! Another six gallon bucket yesterday before noon. I got to believe you could find some walleyes up there OntarioHunter !!
Most waters are closed to walleye during the winter. With the price of gas jacked up, it doesn't make a lot of sense to drive any distance for perch. Anyway, ice fishing never jerked my chain much. Like sitting in a tree stand for days on end. I just can't do that. Too boring.

Most waters are closed to walleye during the winter. With the price of gas jacked up, it doesn't make a lot of sense to drive any distance for perch. Anyway, ice fishing never jerked my chain much. Like sitting in a tree stand for days on end. I just can't do that. Too boring.
1643483116729.png

Assign papers, proofread papers, grade papers

Do weekly homework for the most niche literature class of all time

Read through 20-25 scholarly articles over and over and over in preparation for my comprehensive exam

In other words, hunting season and Christmas break are over, and I'm back in school 😢
Only 20-25 monographs for your comp exams? Wow! Lucky you! My list had over three hundred articles AND books. Written comp exams were 11:00 to 5:00 (actually stretched to 6:00 p.m.) three consecutive days supervised in the dept computer lab/library. Fourth day exam was oral before the grad committee 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. I was fried by the end of it all. Then I could start working on my PhD thesis which consumed the next three years.

I feel your pain. Good luck! You have inspired me to go into storage and dig out some of my scholarly years texts gathering dust. Already through rereading the first hundred pages of Fearful Majesty: The Life and Reign of Ivan the Terrible by Benson Bobrick. The topic is fascinating enough but Bobrick's rendering is delightfully engaging and "easy" to digest. Sheds a lot of light on the background for why Russia is what it is today. The roots are old, complex, and VERY twisted.

I have a goose hunt next weekend, then the Sportsmans show in MAR, application in APR..... THEN it's gets really vad for me. Winter wise we haven't had SQUAT this year.... maybe 2 in of snow. :( bumming me out.

Only 20-25 monographs for your comp exams? Wow! Lucky you! My list had over three hundred articles AND books. Written comp exams were 11:00 to 5:00 (actually stretched to 6:00 p.m.) three consecutive days supervised in the dept computer lab/library. Fourth day exam was oral before the grad committee 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. I was fried by the end of it all. Then I could start working on my PhD thesis which consumed the next three years.

I feel your pain. Good luck! You have inspired me to go into storage and dig out some of my scholarly years texts gathering dust. Already through rereading the first hundred pages of Fearful Majesty: The Life and Reign of Ivan the Terrible by Benson Bobrick. The topic is fascinating enough but Bobrick's rendering is delightfully engaging and "easy" to digest. Sheds a lot of light on the background for why Russia is what it is today. The roots are old, complex, and VERY twisted.
You're 100% correct, I got off lucky, but the trade off is I am going to have to demonstrate near total recall on the small sample I do have.

Thanks for the encouragement, though, and that's an interesting note about the Ivan text. I've found pre-Soviet Russian history to be surprisingly interesting the few times I've explored it.

There’s nothing to be bored about around here. Deer hunting is really getting good around here at that time. There’s just not enough time to do all of the stuff that’s good right now. The deer season will be over next month. That’s another busy time for getting things ready for the next season and prepping stuff for the turkey season start in March. Probably mix in some fishing with the work. It’s a great time of year. Pretty soon it’ll be summer and then the boredom can start. Summer sux.
Unless you're in Az.
Then it burns! 💥

I think tree stands are banned in Az., too boring. 💥 ;)

I also run down to check and see if my new Barnes Bullets have the x on the base....so bored 😴

Weeks on end of nonstop subzero weather is taking a toll. Even my girlfriend is feeling low. I think a nice long soak in the tub together might make things better. No bubble bath though. I need to see which one of her tire patches is leaking.

How are you guys holding up? 32 psi?
I extend my hiking with at least 2 long (3-5 hour) hikes per week.
The other days are either cross-country skiing or shorter hikes.

I also split firewood, tie flies handload for pistol and rifle.
And there is always skijoring with the lab(s):

Up until approximately my 75th birthday, I always looked forward to the winter months because of the snow activities it provided. Sometime after 75, I became a "Sunflower" and starting following the sun-----BUT-----that also opened new doors, and allowed me to enjoy new places, people and activities during the winter months

The things I always enjoyed in the winter were Ice Skating, Skiing, Ice Fishing, Sledding ( downhill and behind a truck ), snowmobiling, dog sledding ( I have been trying to get Ken to take his lovely bride up to Jackson Hole as they have some great dog sled rides that include a dip in a outdoor hot springs at the turn around point)

Panda Bear runs a trap line in Canada during the winter months, which she enjoys and it provides a bit of income. This may have changed but check the Labrador and Manitoba regulations, as they use to have winter caribou hunts. Nunavut for Muskoxen. You should still be able to hunt Snow Geese, as well as cougar, fox, lynx, rabbit ---

These are all outdoors activities but obviously there are a host of things one can do indoors depending on what your interested in---but in line with the H/T forum, reloading, gun refurbishment, --

BUT--dont discount, following the sun during the winter months It can be a lot of fun sailing to and exploring each island in the Caribbean. You will run out of winter months before you run out of islands.

If none of the aforementioned interest you, contact Mr. Cushman ;)
LOL you can prolly bet @JohnCushman can interest you in SOMETHING LOL. If I know my buddies in the military good enough that something would be really interesting LOL.

Self bow making, "accidentally" bought enough wood to make 8 bows. Oddly enough I don't even know 8 people that shoot traditional lol

Back