How do you conquer mid winter boredom?

Weeks on end of nonstop subzero weather is taking a toll. Even my girlfriend is feeling low. I think a nice long soak in the tub together might make things better. No bubble bath though. I need to see which one of her tire patches is leaking.

How are you guys holding up? 32 psi?
@OntarioHunter, you’re an acquired taste but I’m starting to get it. That made me laugh pretty hard after a long week. Thanks for that, truly. :)

As for me, work is busy and we have several rental units, one of which needs a total paint job, which has taken up a lot of my time this month. I love the sense of visual progress you get from painting over child-marked-up walls.

I’m starting to flirt with recruiters on switching jobs which is tempting given pay upside. But I have a loyal streak and love my people. So we’ll see

As always, I am reading John Gierach. ❤️

Also, I’m probably going to tag a pheasant this weekend.

Last edited:
I usually have bags of gold concentrate pulled from a couple claims I got permission to work. Then I do odd jobs and Doordash to fill time and make some money to pay for my hunting trips this summer. Being retired and on fixed income now, I have learned to be creative and find ways to fund my trip without eating into the nondiscretionary expenses.

Gambels Quail hunting takes up some of my time.
Although it ends in a week. :cry: 💥

Last edited:
This winter…Call coyotes. Put up some coyotes. Worked on the gun a lot.

Ordered some stuff to try home tanning a couple. Maybe try to make a hat or scarf. Learning new things greatly helps with the winter blues.

Got roped into a curling league. No idea what I’m doing but it gets me out of the house and is actually pretty fun.

Taught my kids to ski yesterday (actually, my wife did most of the teaching). Boy, has that lit a fire that will get our whole family outside and active in the winter. :D
Looking forward to exploring the hills and mountains with them in years ahead

Sitting in the hot tub listening to the doves fly in pre dawn. Watching the town geese fly overhead. I’ll do some ammo assembly, since I’m a boomer, and maybe clean the door pockets of the pickup out. I bet I have an ammo box full of shotgun shells of various sorts, taken out of jacket pockets since September.

Boat maintenance, organizing tackle, calibrating line counter reels, re-lining reels, winter skeet league, indoor golf league, cleaning the garage etc. I'm excited for ice out...

Cut firewood, recover from cutting firewood, wildlife watching, reading by the fire, music, followed by napping by the fire. Making burger & sausage next week followed by smoking bacon. Or cut more wood and drive around and watch elk.
Not much.

Up until approximately my 75th birthday, I always looked forward to the winter months because of the snow activities it provided. Sometime after 75, I became a "Sunflower" and starting following the sun-----BUT-----that also opened new doors, and allowed me to enjoy new places, people and activities during the winter months

The things I always enjoyed in the winter were Ice Skating, Skiing, Ice Fishing, Sledding ( downhill and behind a truck ), snowmobiling, dog sledding ( I have been trying to get Ken to take his lovely bride up to Jackson Hole as they have some great dog sled rides that include a dip in a outdoor hot springs at the turn around point)

Panda Bear runs a trap line in Canada during the winter months, which she enjoys and it provides a bit of income. This may have changed but check the Labrador and Manitoba regulations, as they use to have winter caribou hunts. Nunavut for Muskoxen. You should still be able to hunt Snow Geese, as well as cougar, fox, lynx, rabbit ---

These are all outdoors activities but obviously there are a host of things one can do indoors depending on what your interested in---but in line with the H/T forum, reloading, gun refurbishment, --

BUT--dont discount, following the sun during the winter months It can be a lot of fun sailing to and exploring each island in the Caribbean. You will run out of winter months before you run out of islands.

If none of the aforementioned interest you, contact Mr. Cushman ;)

There’s nothing to be bored about around here. Deer hunting is really getting good around here at that time. There’s just not enough time to do all of the stuff that’s good right now. The deer season will be over next month. That’s another busy time for getting things ready for the next season and prepping stuff for the turkey season start in March. Probably mix in some fishing with the work. It’s a great time of year. Pretty soon it’ll be summer and then the boredom can start. Summer sux.

Currently working on a flintlock rifle kit. Didn’t have a muzzleloader last fall so I decided to make one before next fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back