How big is this bull?

Horn Seeker

For those of you not tuning into the San Juan thread on the bowsite, here's a pic of a bull my buddy passed up.....mistakingly. Ouch. How big is he?

BBpassyep.jpg

His fronts and thirds aren't incredible (real weak 3rds, normal 1's and 2's), but dang! His 4ths, 5ths and mains are outstanding. He's gotta gross 365 + doesn't he?

I would say that the royals are about 17 to 20 inches. The fifths are probably 13 to 16 inches. The mains are not overly long or extremely heavy. I would class this bull in the 330 to 340 class.

:cool:

No Tom, I said the Mains aren't extremely heavy. That means that the mass doesn't appear to be anything special. I doubt very seriously if you will ever see a bull that scores more than 340 with eye guards and diggers less than 18 to 20 inches. This guy looks like about 9 to 12 inches.

:cool:

Tom,

Mass doesnt mean much in the scoring of antlered game...and anyone thats knows anything about B&C scoring knows that.

Its all about LENGTH...and that bull has a good total package. I'd agree with Greenhorn and say that bull is around 350. Thats a good bull anywhere...even the great state of Arizona where theres 390 bulls behind every tree. Most AZ hunters dont draw tags often enough to know a 330 bull if one has his "diggers" in their ass...

Its always amusing to listen to people who hunt once every ten years bark scores like they're elk guides. :rolleyes: Then downplay a spectacular animal like that...as if they have a whole garage full of 300-350 bulls. :rolleyes:

"Most AZ hunters dont draw tags often enough to know a 330 bull if one has his "diggers" in their ass..."

I know some AZ boys who can feild score with the best of them. Tough scoring a bull from above and off a pic but he's a solid 350ish..

AZ402,

Notice how precise I was with my wording "MOST AZ hunters..."

If you told me you saw a 390 bull, I'd believe it...if "digger" told me he saw one, I'd highly doubt it...

By the way, hows the 'lope hunting going or has it started down there yet?

Buzz,Lope starts in a week. I'll be heading to your unit in the PM to look for a bear. I'll let you know if I see any "Grey Ghosts".

Well, Bill had his bow up and arrow nocked, then decided against it. Took a few pics, reviewed the pics on the camera and went "Whoa, I better shoot him" and grabbed his bow just as the critter exited. I think this is about the biggest he passed on, but on the thread on the bowsite you will see many, many 280-330 type bulls he also passed. Its a cool thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back