Help with future MT bear hunt

mnbearbaiter

A hunt is being planned for MT as we speak. I have a co worker whos uncle is a logger near Clyde Park, MT, and should be able to point us toward good areas to start with. I do have few questions though...ive read that its better to go a little later, well thats fine with me as it lets me turkey hunt MN first. Im thinking first or second week of may? Im wanting to bring my scoped muzzleloader, which should be good to 200yds give or take, would this be adequate given the normal range of S&S? Last but not least, should we do a bivy style hunt or a roadside camp that gives us a little more securinty and ease to explore new areas? Any answers to those questions, as well as any other need to knows would be greatly appreciated.

I'd camp off the logging roads so you can move areas especially if your not familiar with the area. If you uncle knows good spots then a bivy hunt would probably be worth it. I'd wait till the second week in May as that seemed to be the best time for us this year. I'd say your fine with 200 yards. Makes you work a bit more for it in certain scenarios. The mountains will be beautiful either way so get ready to enjoy it.

Is that area of MT a good area to bear hunt? Ive looked at the harvests of bear in the areas near where we would be hunting and they seem decent.

Although a backcountry hunt would be fun, I'd suggest sticking to day trips from the road. Seems that's what most of the more experienced guys on here do. Should be a fun hunt over there. Amazing country.

I elk hunted in that general area and there was tons of bear sign around.If you hunt hard I see no reason you wouldn't get a shot at at least one bear

I'd go for it anytime from the middle of May till it closes the 31st. Keep in mind that if your hunting NF I think many of the access roads in that area are gated and closed to motorized access until June, and some cases July. Not all bad if your willing and able to walk or bike roads for a few miles. I'd say your camp should depend on access. If most roads are still gated where your hunting I'd bivy, but thats just what I prefer to do anyhow.

Expect challenging weather.

Should be a good bear area, in the 3 hours I spent there this spring I saw 3 bears, my best ratio yet :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, im well aware of the seasonal closure, and thats another reason im interested in that area. Im thinking a "Pseudo Bivy Hunt", based out of a roadside camp. There will be 4 of us, so 2 groups of 2 will bring enough supplies to do a 2-3 day bivy style hunt, then return to camp and report their findings. Its a 14hr drive for us, so we plan on a trip thats 10 days total(drive out friday, hunt sat-sat, head back sun) Other than the insider info we should have, can anyone recommend any NF/Wilderness areas in the that area that would be worth a look at? Not wanting hot spots, oh wait yeah i am...just kidding but any help would be great. Thanks to everyone so far.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, im well aware of the seasonal closure, and thats another reason im interested in that area. Im thinking a "Pseudo Bivy Hunt", based out of a roadside camp. There will be 4 of us, so 2 groups of 2 will bring enough supplies to do a 2-3 day bivy style hunt, then return to camp and report their findings. Its a 14hr drive for us, so we plan on a trip thats 10 days total(drive out friday, hunt sat-sat, head back sun) Other than the insider info we should have, can anyone recommend any NF/Wilderness areas in the that area that would be worth a look at? Not wanting hot spots, oh wait yeah i am...just kidding but any help would be great. Thanks to all who posted so far! Are there grizz in that country by chance?

I have yet to hear of any Griz there but there's always a slim chance one or two have wandered across I 90 with their territory expanding.

Back