Caribou Gear Tarp

Help Please

Stubaby

A local Sporting Goods store has one left and I realy want the .300 Short Mag. I have head that this gun jams because of the way the cartridges feed and the "steepness" of the throat??????

Any truth to this. Brand New $499.....anybody have any info good or bad?????????

Buy it.
I know two hunters with .300 WSMs, a 700 Rem and a 70 Win. Both guns feed flawlessly.

Agreed

I'd buy one too. I have a Remington 700 XCR in 300 WSM that feeds flawlessly as well. Great gun and great caliber.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think the rumors you have heard stem from the difference in feeding of the short mags in comparison with a cartridge like a .270 win with a more gradual shoulder. Generally, the .270 or 30-06 will feed a little smoother than a short mag, but it isn't a show stopper. You won't have any problems.

Yea I know Walmart has a sweet Simmons on sale right now for $19.00. Should work great.

Lawnboy, you make me sick! It only shoots as good as the sights. How you ever killed anything with your old K-mart rifle scope is beyond me. Maybe it is a good thing when you look through your rifle scope and all the blurr blotts out any distractions???

I ended up wussing out on the gun. Ended up with a new Black Gold Ascent sight for my bow and a Lamson Litespeed Reel to hook up on the Sage Zaxis.

Thanks for all the replies..

I have two other questions:

1. What's the best "bigger" caliber for elk, deer, and moose than an .06? I have an .06 and I love it. I just keep wanting a bigger one just for fun. I would like to have a local gunsmith bed it, trigger it, and put a muzzle break on it......then add a Long Range Scope to it. I am not looking for a "Best of the West" type of gun.....but if I ever have a LE elk tag and the bull of my dreams is 500-650 out and I can't get closer because of terrian I want something I feel confident in.

2. What's the best gun under $1300 to start out with. Tikka, Ruger, Remmy, Browning, Kimber???????????

Answer is the gun that you wussed out on would fit the bill perfectly. I'm pretty sure the Best of the West guys are using a 7mm mag. It's more about shooting accurate than lauching a big bullet at them.

Last edited:
Ya what Lawnboy said. I hope you realize your bow won't shoot 500 to 600 yrds even with a nice Black Gold sight and you can't get anywhere near 500 yards of fishing line on that reel.
Now about this confession of wussing out on a gun like that....you should first tell your wife what you did and even some sort of ecclesiastical leader on here....well you might have a problem finding anyone on here that makes the mold for an ecclesiastical leader so you may have to just settle for Big Fin. Then you need promise to never pass up a deal like that again.

Hey I went back and had the gun in my hands. Just didn't have that warm fuzzy feeling thats all. When I'm landing that 25" brown on the horn next week I'm sure that warm feeling is sure to return. Besides I'm puttin the rest of the slush fund into my vortex razor spotter savings envelope in the gun case. That spotter is what I really what I NEED anyway.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back