help in Nevada

Duck-Slayer

Mr. Pronghornfreak and I are planning a trip too Nevada for velvet archery mule deer, We are trying too decide on area's too apply for, we are going too put the Ruby's 101-102 for our 4th or 5th choice, is it realistic that we will draw? I think it is, somebody said there was leftover tags there last year? Any info in just about any unit early along the Idaho border or Ruby's would be helpful, we will have 3 pack goat's that I will bring so that should take a little over 100lbs off of our shoulder's, we are open too any and all suggestions or help, Thanks
Matt

How many points do you have? I would definitely apply for the Region 6 units around Tuscarora.

I am pretty sure the Rubies were a guaranteed tag last year.

Lets try this again my first reply didn't seem to go through, Any of the NE NV hunts can be good, as well as areas around Ely. Area 10 (101-109) has the largest deer population in the state also the most tags. A lot of the Rubies are surrounded by private ground and the Sportsman access areas can get hard hit unless you want to pack back in a ways, although the archery season isn't so bad. That being said Drawing for a NR can be difficult during the first draw for any area even 10 due to the NR restrictions. There are generally left over tags in 10 and getting one the 2nd draw is fairly reliable. sometimes after the 2nd draw there are even a few leftover OTC tags in 10. Trophy quality may be better in some of the other areas unless you're willing to get farther back into the back country than most.

Most of the private land around the Ruby's is on the northern end and aound the east Humbolt range.
There is access from Secret pass if you are willing to burn up the boot leather. The southern end from Harrison pass south is almost all unblocked by private land, both east and west sides. But you will have to walk in from almost the bottom of the mountain because there are few roads.
Anywhere you go in the Ruby's can be good if you get away from any roads and find some hidden water.

unless we draw some long shot in our first couple of choice's we are doing the Ruby's, so since the N. part has more private and is harder too get too there must be a few less people and some Deer? PM's are welcome and if I can help in Idaho I will,
Matt

No matter what unit you decide to put in for up in NE Nevada, its going to be a great hunt!! 051, area 6, area 7 and the Rubies all have huge bucks. It's just a matter of how bad you want it and how much harder are you willing to work than the average guy?? My taxidermist had a buck out of 051 that had the mass of a bull elk and that area isn't known for always producing giants. You just never know and Nevada has some of the best Velvet Muley hunts that you can find anywhere out west. Good luck to you!!

This is true. Almost any area in NV is capable of producing some real monster bucks.
Like Antcap said you have to be willing to work harder than most.

Looking for some specific information on the north half of the ruby's and Humboldt National forest. If anyone one has some information about that area please PM me, I have some specific questions. Thanks,
Matt

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back