HB 505 - Elk Need Your Help

Yet they continue to beat the wolf drum. It would be nice to know what issues they jump into like wolves and work in front of the scene and which issues they choose to maybe work behind the scene on.

That dividing line would be nice to know.
I hear you. I just don't think we should forget all the good work they do because of a couple disagreements.

I have detested people's criticisms of BHA for some of the same types of scenarios. So personally I'm trying to extend that same perspective and fairness to RMEF. This isn't the first time that RMEF, WSF, or MDF hasn't joined the advocacy game.

I have no experience with RMEF outside of one benefit trap shoot here and visiting the centre in Missoula, but if it's anything like DU it is probably overly packed with elitist big shot hunting club members in leadership positions who are not much interested in preserving public hunting. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have no experience with RMEF outside of one benefit trap shoot here and visiting the centre in Missoula, but if it's anything like DU it is probably overly packed with elitist big shot hunting club members in leadership positions who are not much interested in preserving public hunting. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Randy was on the board. So I’m pretty sure you are wrong.

Self -respect and self-restraint are too different animals.

I lack too much of the latter to be a good lobbyist.
I have to much of the former to pretend that I am better than the people who exhibit the former to professionally represent the interests of people who hire them.

Insinuating that @Ben Lamb is a suck*** is pretty low.

He is a patient man with great restraint, impeccable tastes in firearms, shaper of earthenware, and pathetic elk hunting skills.😁

Not how I took what @OntarioHunter to mean, but thanks, I think.

RMEF does some great work. They might not be perfect and that's okay. That's the great thing about having other conservation groups to fill in gaps.

THe more conservation groups we have that are as big and powerful as RMEF in multiple different areas...the better off we are I think.

Self -respect and self-restraint are too different animals.

I lack too much of the latter to be a good lobbyist.
I have to much of the former to pretend that I am better than the people who exhibit the former to professionally represent the interests of people who hire them.

Insinuating that @Ben Lamb is a suck*** is pretty low.

He is a patient man with great restraint, impeccable tastes in firearms, shaper of earthenware, and pathetic elk hunting skills.😁
I had no idea Ben was a lobbyist. Anyone who has the patience to sit at a potter's wheel for hours on end while getting mud thrown on him and enjoy it would undoubtedly be a good lobbyist. :D

I wouldn't confuse working behind the scenes to be "silence." Just sayin'.
I sure hope this is the case as a vocal advocate of RMEF. My #1 conservation $ is within this great group...

However, that said - the silence presented to it's members with such volatile repercussions for elk management vs vocal opposition towards Colorado's forced wolf reintroduction is a tough pill to swallow.

One significant sigh of relief is your specific quote above. Knowing your involvement alleviates some concern.

Though to a member who up to your quote and to those not reading your comment this silence leaves a nasty taste.

Thanks for sharing. It's reassuring.

I wouldn't confuse working behind the scenes to be "silence." Just sayin'.
True. But the one rep that responsed to our emails asked for us to push RMEF to respond. So they were so far behind the scenes even those who should have seen then didn't see them. I'm mostly frustrated by the inability of any org classified as a 501C3 to participate fully. It's like MOGA is playing a different game than RMEF and MWF. It isn't realistic to change to a 501C4, but we certainly need one.

True. But the one rep that responsed to our emails asked for us to push RMEF to respond. So they were so far behind the scenes even those who should have seen then didn't see them. I'm mostly frustrated by the inability of any org classified as a 501C3 to participate fully. It's like MOGA is playing a different game than RMEF and MWF. It isn't realistic to change to a 501C4, but we certainly need one.
What makes it unrealistic?

What makes it unrealistic?
There are certain tax advantages afforded to a 501c3 that allows RMEF to enter into agreements to acquire land and easements and such. I don't believe that is possible as a 501c4. A tax expert or lawyer familiar with the classifications could probably add some clarity. I think an email from RMEF on the issue would have been nice. They could have done that. The fact that they didn't tells me a lot.

There are certain tax advantages afforded to a 501c3 that allows RMEF to enter into agreements to acquire land and easements and such. I don't believe that is possible as a 501c4. A tax expert or lawyer familiar with the classifications could probably add some clarity. I think an email from RMEF on the issue would have been nice. They could have done that. The fact that they didn't tells me a lot.
perhaps not RMEF, but maybe a group like TRCP? Wildlife Federation? BHA?

I had no idea Ben was a lobbyist. Anyone who has the patience to sit at a potter's wheel for hours on end while getting mud thrown on him and enjoy it would undoubtedly be a good lobbyist. :D
I probably took a cheap shot at you. Sorry. I apologize.

On the other hand.... I can’t take back what I said about @Ben Lamb’s elk hunting skills.....😂

perhaps not RMEF, but maybe a group like TRCP? Wildlife Federation? BHA?
It could be any of them, but hunters have to coalesce around one. You will notice there are not 15 different outfitter organizations testifying - just MOGA. A national organization would be fighting 100 battles at any one time and might not have the ability to have a physical presence in a specific state to build those relationships cited as being important. I guess my point is, there are logistical issues as well.

HI Guys,

I don't hop on here too much but I was at the capital yesterday talking to many of you and also testifying against the bill. I was shocked to learn that FWP actually crafted the particulars of the bill and that Governor Gianforte asked Wylie Gault to carry the bill, against his own wishes too.

We all need to start inundating the Governor with emails and calling him out for this type of legislation on social media, I've already started on both of those fronts. The Gov stacked the F&G commission with 4 of 7 landowners by law this legislative session already so I fear he will get the landowner tags one way or another, but if we can spread the word and apply political pressure he might have to start reconsidering this whole idea. You guys are the less than 1% of hunters that understand the workings and implications of what we are against, time to start calling out the boss man and hopefully make him rethink his extreme agenda!

I haven't seen anywhere what would happen if this bill does pass and a family has their place split up (which a lot do) in say 2000 acres in an LLC, 640 acres in a kids name, 640 acres in the husbands name. Since they are separate entities, would that "family ranch" be awarded 30 sponsor tags?

A friend of mine, who had been in the state senate, suggested I run even though we were of different parties. I told her maybe when I retired. Then I went to few sessions and testified on various issues, and worked with politicians on committees, and decided I didn't want to spend my retirement behind bars for attempted murder or something.

I really don't know what happens to people who are elected. I think most Montanans want hunting and fishing available for residents; we don't mind some nonresidents but don't want our rivers, and public and private lands overflowing with them either. We love our stream access law. Most of us also love our First and Second Amendments.

I know third parties don't work but geez it seems like some things shouldn't fall along party lines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back