PEAX Equipment

HB 505 - Elk Need Your Help

I sure hope this is the case as a vocal advocate of RMEF. My #1 conservation $ is within this great group...

However, that said - the silence presented to it's members with such volatile repercussions for elk management vs vocal opposition towards Colorado's forced wolf reintroduction is a tough pill to swallow.

One significant sigh of relief is your specific quote above. Knowing your involvement alleviates some concern.

Though to a member who up to your quote and to those not reading your comment this silence leaves a nasty taste.

Thanks for sharing. It's reassuring.
I think the difference between this and the wolf issue is that the DIY sportsmen and the landed gentry /outfitter class were all on the same side of the wolf issue. RMEF needs massive amounts of money to do what it does, and that money does not all come from us DIYers. Big checks come from the landed gentry, and that also buys influence. We need to look no further than the opposition to Randy’s appointment to the RMEF board to see this in action.

So they are in a tough spot where taking a public stance on this could easily alienate big donors who are on the opposite side of the issue. You can have your opinions about whether this means they’ve sold their soul (and decide your support for them accordingly), but I’m going to focus on the bigger picture of the great work they do in executing their mission vs. their silence on a political issue.

Below is RMEF’s mission statement (underline added for emphasis):
RMEF's mission is to ensure the future of elk, other wildlife, their habitat and our hunting heritage by protecting, conserving, restoring, and enhancing natural habitat.

I think the difference between this and the wolf issue is that the DIY sportsmen and the landed gentry /outfitter class were all on the same side of the wolf issue. RMEF needs massive amounts of money to do what it does, and that money does not all come from us DIYers. Big checks come from the landed gentry, and that also buys influence. We need to look no further than the opposition to Randy’s appointment to the RMEF board to see this in action.

So they are in a tough spot where taking a public stance on this could easily alienate big donors who are on the opposite side of the issue. You can have your opinions about whether this means they’ve sold their soul (and decide your support for them accordingly), but I’m going to focus on the bigger picture of the great work they do in executing their mission vs. their silence on a political issue.

Below is RMEF’s mission statement (underline added for emphasis):
RMEF's mission is to ensure the future of elk, other wildlife, their habitat and our hunting heritage by protecting, conserving, restoring, and enhancing natural habitat.
Good point.....but if they're sticking to their guns on their habitat mission statement then the wolves should not have crossed their plate and likewise nor would HB505. If they're just playing to their donors then that's ok too. They do great work with the money they receive and people just need to recognize that they are not a lobbying group. I naively thought they did do some level of lobbying. Adds a little more credence to @Schaaf for president of Elk Unlimited.

Stop

Firing

Inward

Send letters to the Gov's office. Quit attacking other groups for not doing something & put that hustle to work on the actual bill.
Below is my comments sent both directly to Galt and GG, with slight modifications for each. Feel free to use any of it in any messages sent.

Comments: Thank you for your tireless and hard work that you are doing for Montana. How our great State recovers from the COVID pandemic and performs will be a direct result of the work that you and every other legislator are currently doing. I have great hope that with your leadership, Montana will thrive.

I do however have grave concerns over the impacts that bill, HB505, will have on current and future generations of Montanans who rely on hunting to help support their families. As you heard yesterday, many of us are opposed to this bill for a variety of reasons. I do understand that landowners are faced with many different challenges, with elk management being one of them. I am fully supportive of a proactive elk management plan to help alleviate stresses that landowners face when it comes to elk, but I believe that HB505 falls short and will do nothing to help their problems. As Mr. Galt, the bills sponsor stated yesterday, this is meant to be a starting point in those discussions and that he is open to changes. I ask that you do consider it to be a starting point, and let those discussions happen and help bring together landowners, sportsmen, and the FWP Department to come up with a better thought out, long term solution to elk management in Montana. The only way that these discussions can take place is to table this bill in committee and not run the risk of it becoming law.

I agree with Mr. Galt that this is a starting point, but if this bill passes through the House and Senate and signed into law by you, it will also be the finish line. Please let the work being done right now with the Elk Management Plan Citizens Group take place and not rush this drastic wildlife management plan through the legislature. Our generation and future generations depend on it. Please help table HB505.

I would be honored to directly discuss this further with you if you have any questions or concerns.

Excellent.

Now get 20 buddies to send something similar.

We win through volume.

Copied and pasted along with a few modifications from myself and 5 others from WI. That I know of, I am sure those 5 past it along too.

Thanks to EVERYONE for all you do and have done. This has opened my eyes to a lot of things and have made me become more involved here in WI as well.

Thanks

With all of these bills, it seems like the MT legislature and groups like MOGA really don't want my business. I'm a young guy who doesn't make a ton, student loans, etc. It seems like they don't want the common guy, they want the big wig businessman, lawyer, etc. From the outside, it is like the west is moving in a scary direction of elitism. I see it when I visit during the summer south of Bozeman to fish. Oh well, I am actually quite happy hunting and fishing the north country of MN, WI, and UP. I did come across this cartoon though, and thought it fitting....

.ic_1614743517_780x_false.jpg

Attachments

• safe_image.jpg
    safe_image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 11
  • safe_image (1).jpg
    safe_image (1).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 6
Stop

Firing

Inward

Send letters to the Gov's office. Quit attacking other groups for not doing something & put that hustle to work on the actual bill.
With all respect Ben, this is BS.

They need to be called out when they are doing nothing on the biggest attack Montana had ever seen on elk.

They need to hear it as does GG, FWP, and House F&G.

Just saying you’re doing something with no proof needs to be questioned.

I’m not saying ditch the membership but giving them a pass without so much as a question doesn’t fly.

But hey That’s just me.

With all respect Ben, this is BS.

They need to be called out when they are doing nothing on the biggest attack Montana had ever seen on elk.

They need to hear it as does GG, FWP, and House F&G.

Just saying you’re doing something with no proof needs to be questioned.

I’m not saying ditch the membership but giving them a pass without so much as a question doesn’t fly.

But hey That’s just me.

With the limited time we have, it takes away from hitting the targets that have the ability to.kill the bill.

But that's just me ;)

With the limited time we have, it takes away from hitting the targets that have the ability to.kill the bill.

But that's just me ;)
Who's voice is going to be bigger, a piss ant from Wenatchee or the RMEF with it's 230k members? Sorry, but I'm going to put some pressure where I think pressure is needed.

I was kind of hoping the Meateater crew, being Montana residents, would’ve been there.

Basically it was Randy, a couple small sportsmen org reps, and a handful of guys and gals who work for a living. Something like .001% of the state’s hunting population.

I know this is how advocacy goes, but I also don’t know if there’s been a worse proposal for elk in Montana in 40 years, or maybe ever.

Is the time right before the Governor is gonna sign the bill The time when most pressure should be applied? I would’ve thought early on like yesterday would’ve been.

If this passes it’s all over but the crying.

Oh well. Onward.

Last edited:
Who's voice is going to be bigger, a piss ant from Wenatchee or the RMEF with it's 230k members? Sorry, but I'm going to put some pressure where I think pressure is needed.
I couldnt agree more. I know apperently they lost their lobbiest person a year or so ago but thats no excuse to not at least put out a statement on a bill this impactful.

I was kind of hoping the Meateater crew, being Montana residents, would’ve been there.

Basically it was Randy, a couple small sportsmen org reps, and a handful of guys and gals who work for a living. Something like .001% of the state’s hunting population.

I know this is how advocacy goes, but I also don’t know if there’s been a worse proposal for elk in Montana in 40 years, or maybe ever.

Is the time right before the Governor is gonna sign the bill The time when most pressure should be applied? I would’ve thought early on like yesterday would’ve been.

If this passes it’s all over but the crying.

Oh well. Onward.
I'm with you on this. It feels like the decision on this bill was made before the commentary ever started. Maybe I'm wrong. The only thing I hold out hope for is that this bill was presented as such a POS legislation to distract from the half dozen other proposals. I am running out of energy. I plan on creating a letter to send to GG, but he really doesn't care about me because I didn't vote for him. Eventually Montanan's get the government they deserve. Seems like we hit that point.

It was somewhat revealing when I spoke to the rep who is no longer on the Committee....he asked "of the sportsmen's groups, was RMEF there?". I said "no". He said "oh.". He mentioned some issues he's had with smaller lobbying groups being shell organizations funded by liberals, but RMEF isn't in that class. I told him Randy was there but only representing himself not RMEF. He said that was good and that he would watch for it if it gets to the floor.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonasababy
Back