Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Have you ever NOT felt like hunting?

Thanks for all of the replies. It means a lot. Took the most of it to heart and went down to my hunting spot this morning. My buddy was outside working so I talked with him and his wife for a while getting some things off my chest. We've known each other for over 40 years and he knew something was up as soon as I got out of the car. After a bit I said I just wanted to go sit in the timber for a while and walked out. Just found a log and sat down. Too much going through my head to really enjoy it, but I think it helped for a while. I even had a bit of excitement. Saw a coyote chase something on the other side of the ravine and then had it cross over and climb up my direction. Hmm, I had a small pocketknife but no handy limbs nearby. It kept coming my way and finally spotted me. Uh, it kept coming. Apparently it couldn't figure out what that lump was and wanted to check me out. Wind was in my favor. It finally got about 15 feet away and I decided that was close enough. Waved my arms and it sprinted and mule deer hopped about 30 yards away before stopping and staring at me for a while. Sat in the sun a while longer then checked out my winch point and looked around at the changes since last year and headed out.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer. You don't know me from the next guy but took the time to post. Thank you. I guess I enjoyed my time out. Hard to say, but at least I relaxed a little bit. Baby steps.

Glad to hear that you were able to get out for a bit to clear your mind. Forty year friendships are also invaluable when times are tough. Don't be afraid to utilize those resources. If your buddy knew that something wasn't right as soon as you got out of your car, he sounds like he and his wife are the type of people that can help you through this difficult time. Hang in there Dave.

You don't drown from falling into the water,
You do if you stay there. Swim ashore and go back at it
with your head up.Opening day is just ahead! 🔥

Glad to hear you made your way into the woods. When you're depressed you don't feel like doing the things you normally enjoy. Sometimes waiting until you feel better to do those things won't work. Sometimes you have to force yourself to do enjoyable things and make yourself feel better - take life by the horns.

in my opinion hunting requires a particular mindset because you are taking a life. If it doesn't feel right before you head out it probably won't once you get there. I agree with others about taking a camera, a walk, or doing something else without a weapon. No judgment here if you let all your tags sit this season. The spark will return.

Personally there have been times I've been depressed and no desire to hunt and forced myself to go. I wished I hadn't gone afterwards and would have been better served being in the healing peace of being outside without an without an objective.

Only in 2010 when both of my kids left the nest within 2 weeks of each other. I lost my hunting buddies and lost the desire. It didn't last long though, I decided to get out of that funk and made plans for my first trip to NZ in 2011.

i understand the feeling drove 400 miles by myself hunted in the blizzard around white sulphur, couldnt get the elk to stay on the public, ran to great falls late last night met my kid for dinner, he left to idaho this am, and then back to the east, i gave a good try, but , without your best hunting partner, it didnt mean as much,,,,, i need to find some like minded hunters in montana to share a camp with,,,,, anyway heads up it what is being preached Dave, and have great upcoming days

been down and out before with no drive to hunt (even when its the only thing that brings me back to North). Like others have said. Just get out there, rest your mind and let the woods , waters and the smell of the decaying autum leaves cleanse your soul.

Dave, the advice you’ve gotten seems to be unanimous to get back into the woods in some capacity. Instead of giving you another fortification of what to do, please allow me to offer this. Don't isolate yourself.
Your situation isnt at all pleasant, I’ve been there. To sit alone and dwell on your situation serves to drag you farther downward and thats the last thing you need. The guys here have described this as a storm, or a season. Thats spot on. Storms and seasons pass and so will this. Your joy will return.

Can’t imagine what your going through. Hopefully things will come around for you. I had another reason I didn’t want to hunt just last week. We were hunting in Wyoming and the weather turned brutal. Just couldn’t keep warm. First time in 48 years of hunting that I just wanted to go back to camp and warm up. I told my son I was done about noon one day. He said let’s find a shelter and eat lunch. He started a fire mostly for his kids, but man, that was a turning point as we warmed up and were able to make it through the rest of the day. Hopefully you will find your turning point and will once again have that desire to hunt that we all have and love.

Dave,

I'm struggling there with you. Over the last couple of seasons I've lost the desire to go. For me it's been a combination of things including depression related to other personal issues.

Hunting-wise, I've had a few unsuccessful seasons back to back. I never even saw a legal elk on public land all last year and ate my elk, deer, and antelope tag. After that gut punch of a season it's been hard to get excited to drag a rifle up a mountain. But I've also lost a lot of my hunting community as well that has move away. I don't have any family here to hunt with and friends have either moved away or hunt with their other friends. Now, I try and take new hunters out which helps put some of that excitement back in it, but they end up learning enough to hunt on their own and then go off with their own groups and I'll admit it makes me bitter. I think that's been the worst of it.

I still go because I'm more miserable sitting at home.

I certainly don't have any solutions, but just letting you know that you're not alone.

The older I get I realize that hunting has more aspects to it than pursuit and success. Like Highwildfree my old partners that goaded me to leave at 3 AM and push all the limits have moved away. If I get motivated to get out in the woods by myself I still love it and feel alive with senses that are shut off most of the year. I am also realistic about how far I can really pack animals By myself and many of my old haunts are just too tough these days. As Big Finn says, hunt every chance you get... Looking back at it, I think I truly enjoy the evenings around the campfire as much as the pursuit and I probably miss that the most. That said, all is not lost! I never miss the opportunity to take young people out hunting and introduce them to the wilderness. There are a lot of volunteer opportunities to help mentor young folks. Also my dogs are shameless motivators and they nag me to hunt anything that flies and they also have learned to annoy my wife until she asks me to take them out and wear them out! One thing is always the same—when I get out there I feel alive and wonder why the heck I wasn’t out yesterday. Take good care and get outside.

My step son committed suicide on February 4 of this year. I had no desire to coyote hunt or even fish this spring. Cancelled my annual fishing trip to Canada this year. I have 2 weeks vacation to deer hunt starting this Friday and I am looking forward to it. The popular saying that time heals all wounds isn't exactly right. You just end up learning to live with the pain. If you don't want to hunt then don't hunt, nothing wrong with that.

Food for thought.

Exercise is one of the hardest things to do when I’m depressed, and yet it is one of the absolute proven ways to feel better. Few people when they’re depressed love getting up and exercising, but most people feel better after they do it. You probably already know it does all the right things for brain chemistry, and can be as effective as medication. The trick is not to think about it. As soon as I start to think about it, I talk myself out of it. I have to “just do it” without thinking about it. The form or exercise should be rewarding in itself—walking amid nature, in interesting parts of the city, or with a friend, dancing, Zumba (if that’s your thing; it’s not mine), or cycling—whatever involves movement and increased heart rate for a sustained period of time.

It always gets better my friend!

My step son committed suicide on February 4 of this year. I had no desire to coyote hunt or even fish this spring. Cancelled my annual fishing trip to Canada this year. I have 2 weeks vacation to deer hunt starting this Friday and I am looking forward to it. The popular saying that time heals all wounds isn't exactly right. You just end up learning to live with the pain. If you don't want to hunt then don't hunt, nothing wrong with that.

I’m terribly sorry about your step son. Suicide is brutal for those left behind

I’m going to disagree with you though. Time DOES heal, but you have to let it. It won’t happen overnight.

That's awful - sorry to hear that happened.

I think when I don’t feel like going hunting or even just working out, especially because of stress, is when I need to get out and go hunting the most.

I’m sorry, @Dave N . I’m sure it’s been hard, frustrating. In John 16:33 Jesus says, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart, I have overcome the world.” No promise of a life of met expectations, but a promise of a God who will make all things new in His time. I’ll be praying for you, bud!

Last edited:
You do you! Everyone's experiences are different. Sometimes being alone is good, other times it's not. If you feel like going, go. If you don't, then don't. As much as we all love it, sometimes life gets in the way, and sometimes there are more important things than hunting. There is no shame in taking time for yourself. I don't think there is anything strange about the way you're feeling. If it reaches the point where it's really effecting your health, then it's probably time to seek some help.

An ax isn't worth a shit if its dull.... a guy's gotta get out there and recharge himself a little. He's gotta get out and sharpen his ax. If the blade gets worn and becomes dull in life then he's gonna have a tough time getting through it.

Get out there and sharpen the ax.......

Back