Caribou Gear

Have you ever NOT felt like hunting?

Dave N

It's no secret here that I've been having problems at home. In short, selling our just purchased place in Alaska to attempt to pay off our current mortgage, followed probably with selling our current home and then splitting up for good. Arguments followed by some talks leading to more arguments. Sooooo.... It's been archery whitetail season since October 1st. Haven't even bought my tags. Working 6 days a week and would actually rather just sleep in on Sundays instead of climbing into my ladder stand watching the woods wake up. Never really was a good evening place to hunt. I have 3 firearm and muzzle loader tags and haven't put in for opening day off from work yet. Our 3 day season is in 4 weeks. Not even getting excited for it. I just don't know if I even want to go at all. Still have the better part of a whole deer in the freezer so I really don't NEED more meat. I could go out and get one to give to my father who doesn't hunt anymore but I still just don't have that "urge" to do so. Depression? Maybe. Probably. Don't know, never felt like this before. I always LOVED getting out to hunt and "get my head right" in the peace and quiet. Meat for the freezer was a nice bonus but still the goal to begin with. Always wanted 2 or 3 to get by and have enough to make my jerky and salami. Now, it just doesn't seem all that important to me.

Had anyone else gone through this? How did you find your way out? This is not how I imagined my fall to be like. Even without an archery kill yet I still would have been out a few times trying. Can't even say I've really missed it. Now I'm getting even more bummed out! Sheesh. I've only met a couple folks from here but many seem like friends just by reading their posts. So I thought I would throw this out there and see what happens. Give me advice, tell me to suck it up and move on, whatever. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Its a hard thing to tell someone to just suck it up...so I wont, because hard times are just that, hard. Getting in tough situations is difficult so getting out is difficult. If I could offer a suggestion: get in the woods. Even if you don't take a gun or bow, don't go through all the prep work, or don't wake up early enough to be on time, just walk out there and sit on a log. There is something we all know but still forget from time to time: the woods are good.

I'd recommend getting out there as well. You probably won't regret it. I'm heading for a rut when I don't make the extra effort to do things I normally enjoy.

The day my wife filed for divorce I left work early and ran for the hills. It was July, so no hunting, but I did some shed hunting. Just had to get out into my "happy place."
I never felt too depressed to not want to go hunting, so I can't relate too much. But I don't blame you either. I would suggest going anyway. Seemed like the more I just sat around home the worst I felt. Good luck man. It will pass.

It’s easy to get burnt out.... been there. Threw my decoys out one time and watched ducks buzz them all morning while spitting sunflower seeds. I couldn’t be bothered to lift the shotgun and shoot. Still good to be out.

We all deal with it in our own way. I sat out an entire season after my divorce. The spark will return... and so will happiness and life. You will recover and be stronger and wiser for it.
Keep your chin up brother. Been there.

I’m going to reflect the same sentiments as have been mentioned above, just get out in the woods or the marsh. Let your eyes do the walking for you and regain composure with the local flora and fauna, whether it’s deep in the local woods or on a park bench at an interpretive trail, getting out and watching wildlife can help ease your mind.

Seasons of life come and go, and right now you are heading into a stormy season.

Perhaps a little different way to go about helping your head re-calibrate......consider taking a newbie out for an adventure. Seeing someone else experience "firsts" in the outdoors can freshen your sense of wonder and appreciation for what you have in life.

I wish you well Dave N. I'm sorry that you are going through an apparent ending of a marriage and an unexpected loss of the dream of Alaska. I hope that you come out stronger on the other side of this tough time.

Take your Camera and go sit in your stand, it will give you some peace without having to spend time processing one at home where your having issues.

I have many days. But you know it helps to get out. And I mean get out hunting or anything else you would like to do. Friends and family time sure helps just pick up the phone and dial one of them up and do anything really. Good luck man keep your head straight somethings in life you can't change no matter how bad you want to.

While I have never had the feeling you are describing specifically about hunting, at points after my deployments I didn't feel like doing anything other than being a surly SOB. I couldn't get my head around what turned out to be guilt and a sudden lack of routine/structure. How I dealt with it was going to the gym. I was something I had control over, let me be a peace in my own head and that I knew was good for me.

Hunting alone does not make a rich life, but it enriches your life when things are going good elsewhere. It's natural to put your desire to hunt up on the shelf for a bit while you deal with some other important stuff. No need to force yourself out there unless you want to, and I believe you will feel the urge when the time is right. I do agree with some of the other comments and suggest that you take time for yourself and just go take a walk, maybe an area you've never been but always wanted to check out "when you have the time". Put the gun or bow to the side and do something different. It will help you get out of your funk. Pretty soon you will be craning your neck at a buck running across the road, or watching those birds fly and your brain will go hmmmmm.... maybe I should give it a go!

Both of my biggest bull elk were killed on days I almost didn't go hunting. First one it was hot (85 degrees) and I didn't figure it was worth it, turns out it was and I killed my best bull. A few years ago I made plans to meet a buddy at a pre-arranged location and then head up to our hunting spot. Woke up sick as a dog the next morning, but couldn't leave my buddy hanging on opening morning so I sucked it up and was rewarded with my second biggest bull. Granted, lazy and sick are two entirely different things than what you're going through, but all I know is sometimes you have to make yourself get out there where good things can happen.

My guess is that were you to go out, to take some time for yourself out in the natural world getting some exercise and fresh air and whatever magic the woods hold into your system, you’d feel a bit better. However incremental. I’ve never experienced what you’re going through, but have been through dark times. Taking action always makes me feel better. I wish you the best Dave.

Not the same, but I really love to team rope. I gave it up this summer to concentrate on other things. I dont regret it at all. Being pulled in different directions and always running gets old. Sometimes you just need a break. Hunting may be it for you. Personally hunting is my peace, it calms me

After I was diagnosed with cancer at 29 years old I went into a bad depression, especially a week later finding out my wife was pregnant with our first child. Then again earlier this year when I was diagnosed with cancer again 2 years later. I resorted to the woods. It puts me at peace, and clears my head. It was my escape from reality and slowly but surely brought me out of my slump. I scouted new areas, put out trail cameras, would just sit down and take in the beauty of mother nature. Resort to what you love and if its hunting and being out in the woods like me, then go out there. Some things you just cant control, but finding your happiness and fulfilling your happiness you can.

You do what you need to do. If you need to take time. Take time. Opening day, sleep in. Ifnyiu decide maybe you feel like going for a drive just to feel participatory then do it. At anytime during the day. Or just chill and watch a movie. If you take this year off, it's not a big deal. I know sometimes this site makes it feel that these other guys live for hunting and if you don't make it the #1 priority in your life, you aren't worthy of being a hunter. But only you can decide if it's right for you to go out.

Most of all, dude, talk to someone. I would highly suggest a counselor. There's no shame in it. Everyone should go to one at times in their life. If all you do is talk, it'll do you a lot of good.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back