Happy Fathers Day! Share a pic

BlakeA

Share a pic or two of a hunt with your old man. Thank you dad for introducing me to hunting and the outdoors at such a young age! 25 years of hunting together makes for a lot of great memories. Looking forward to many more pops :cool:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1447194462932.jpg
    FB_IMG_1447194462932.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 320
  • 20161122_223317.jpg
    20161122_223317.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
So thankful for my dad! He always took me and my brother hunting and fishing. Here is a picture from our 2013 hunting trip.

Attachments

• IMG_4691.jpg
    IMG_4691.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 302
No pics with my dad he has never hunted, but here's me and the boy getting ready to head to head out for an evening hunt
10635744_10152388933740736_3947929483402906077_n.jpg

Seems like dad and I are never in the same photo when we hunt, mostly because it is always just us two and one or the other is taking a picture. This is a picture I took last fall as we sat out the midday heat in New Mexico overlooking a waterhole. Best dad, best friend ever.

Attachments

• PTDC0011.jpg
    PTDC0011.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 340
Dad introduced me to hunting, however, I am not sure we had a camera way back when :) Even though he's been gone 27 years he's still on every hunting and fishing adventure with me.

attachment.php

good luck to all
the dog

I've been blessed to say I've had a great dad, there's a lot of men who can't say that , and it's easy to take your father for granted in the foolishness of youth , I know I did . He's 75 this year and we're gonna chase Blacktails and Roosevelts again . Don't know how many hunts we have left together so I'm gonna cherish every second. It's was my father who taught me hunting and fishing growing up in Alaska that gave me the foundation of a love of the outdoors and it's was my father back in 2013 at the end of my marriage that got me back in the woods again. Forever grateful for my father. This Picture is last summer with my father John , my oldest son Nick and my grandson Jackson. Last year I posted some pictures of my father and me in Alaska in the late 70's and early 80's under Alaskan Childhood in the BACK IN DAY thread. Have a great day to dads everywhere

IMG_5648.jpg

Dads 2016 Roosevelt

IMG_5651.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0064.jpg
I took him for granted in my young foolish days as well. Now that we are both older and a little slower I am coming to realize how much of a positive impact he made on me not only by teaching me but by showing me how to be the best father I could be. We don't have very many more seasons together so I cherish all the time I can. Happy Father's Day to everyone.

Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there. I didn't grow up around any hunters, or hunting period. But my father showed, and taught me a lot about the ocean and how it can provide. We did a lot of things together in the ocean, and I miss home a lot. Going shrimping and crabbing with him, and realizing not all of the ocean is blue, but a deep purple will always be a great memory for me. Seeing fish in waves above the boat, touching the ocean as the boat rocked side to side and puking always makes me laugh. Watching hugs unknown shadows follow the traps up from the bottom of the ocean scares me, and still does. Most likely huge sharks though. Since I don't live back home anymore I don't have that teaching opportunity to teach my kids to respect the ocean. I hope to one day show my sons and daughters how to hunt. I have to learn myself first lol! Have a great day everyone.

Last edited:
My first bird. Yellow necked frankolin (Kenya) sluiced with a .22/410 using the bullet.

His forearms were built from hard ranch work as a kid and his life as a large animal veterinarian wrestling patients into position.

image.jpeg

This is the first deer I remember my dad shooting. My sister and I were sitting on a giant oak branch while he got the stand. He basically hoisted us up in the tree with a rope.

Last edited:
This first one is from a few years back when my wife and I were married in 2012. My late Grandfather, my Father, myself and the heir to my throne. I learned a lot of hunting, fishing, building and how to be a good man from the first 2 men there. My grandad passed back in Feb. after ~5 years with ALS. This is the first Father's Day without him and I don't mind saying that it stings a bit.

17038750_1454091021270061_7144465181266353339_o.jpg

These two barbarians are in my tribe. They're complete opposites, like a photo and it's negative. The older one loves to fish already and his brother can't go to bed without having watched at least one episode of MeatEater. I'm very proud and I can't wait to teach them all that I've learned from my own forefathers.

17918051_1506797885999374_2256315508416035074_o.jpg

Happy Father's day, Gents. Hope you had a good one.

Here's a pic of my dad and I on one of the last hunts he went on with us when I got my bull in 1996. He passed away 10 years ago now, hard to believe how fast time goes by.

DSCN0413.jpg

My first year elk hunting. My dad, uncle, and I all got bulls. Dads was the biggest. That was 92 sure doesn't feel that long ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 190
We didn't hunt in our family when I was growing up. Like many people, dad grew up poor in Wyoming and had to find a a way to provide meat for the table while grandpa was working or drinking away the paycheck (I love my grandfather and he was a good man, but WW2 took a heavy toll on him in to the 1970's). It was dad's job to provide meat and he was good at it. He grew up in the Gas Hills of Wyoming, poaching anything he could. He became adept at sneaking up on mule deer and popping them with a Stevens .22 single shot.

He told me a story once of poaching pheasants on a neighbors farm when he was 7 or 8. The farmer saw him and called the warden. By the time the warden showed up, it was after dinner. The two pheasants were already eaten, and no evidence remained. He got a short lecture from the warden, but looking at the condition of the tar-paper shack they called home, it didn't seem to make sense punishing a kid for providing for his family.

When dad left the Air Force, he made enough money that he didn't need to hunt. He could afford to buy meat. That was a sign to him of coming up in the world, moving up from being poor to being middle class. Mom was the same way. Her family grew up poor in Montana. My grandfather was a circuit riding preacher who relied on the donation box for clothes for his 6 kids. They lived in old hotels, cramped houses and had to hunt in order to feed everyone. All of the kids were required to hunt as well. When dad left the Air Force, mom was on board with buying meat.

What they did do, though, was instill a love of the outdoors primarily through fishing. Dad would take me out to the beaver ponds in the Southern Wind Rivers and we would spend hours catching brook trout. We'd hop boulders along the Popo Agie in Sinks Canyon catching Rainbows and we'd sit on the banks of the Green River waiting for a trout to snag a worm. He loved shooting, and we'd still go every chance we could. He entertained my childish desire to shoot prairie dogs, jack rabbits and other critters until one day I had a cottontail sighted in and simply said: "If you kill it, you better eat it." I started hunting when I moved to Montana, in part, because we needed the meat.

It was a simple lesson in ethics that I've never forgotten. He's been gone for four years now, and it still hurts.

Luckily, I have been blessed with a father-in-law who loves to fish & hunt. He's been out here the last couple of weeks and we've toured Yellowstone and spent the weekend in the Big Hole trying to find some fishable water. We got up to a little lake in the forest (and consequently, ran into Randy 11 - small world) and got him a grayling and then found a small stream in a valley bottom that was running clear and we spent father's day tossing flies to browns.

I'll likely never be a father, but I've been blessed with two damned fine ones.

Dad & I somewhere in the Winds, circa 1975:

dad on snowmobile.jpg

FIL & I with a stringer of bass:

Bob & Ben w bass.jpg

Great stuff Ben. About an hour after we met up I was frying trout on the tailgate a mile downstream. That creek is loaded with brook trout if you have the ambition to machete in there.

2017-06-17%2015.20.02_zpsndmhrax4.jpg

Back