Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hammer bullets?

Steve told me my rem 700 .270 with 1 in 10 twist can handle 130 to 145 grain Hammers no problem. Everyone here said to ask his recommendation so I'm trying some loads with 145 now. Haven't shot them yet tho, hoping for good results.
I'm surprised the twist will stabilize the longer ones like that, I'll be interested to hear your results.

Hmm. Call me ignorant, but I thought the whole reason for shooting monolithic bullets was that they held together and retained nearly 100% of their weight. If you want your bullet to come apart, just shoot a cheap cup and core, right?

QQ
Weight retention is overrated. Hammers are designed to shed petals. I've posted it before, but I killed a Whitetail buck with a .243 and 80 grain Hammer. 100 yard broadside double lung. When I field dressed I noticed two tears in the heart as a result of the petals. Works for me. mtmuley

Hmm. Call me ignorant, but I thought the whole reason for shooting monolithic bullets was that they held together and retained nearly 100% of their weight. If you want your bullet to come apart, just shoot a cheap cup and core, right?

QQ

Some people shoot them because they fear lead.

I have other pics and such. I can't step on toes here. PM me for any info. mtmuley

I’ve got a 25-06 being rebarreled with a 1-8 twist Bartlein #3. Plan on trying some Hammers when I get it back.

Have a .28 nosler with a 1/8 barrel and it would not stabilize the 177s. 169 shoot great, wasted some time and $ on the 177 though...

Frustrating thing for me has been the seating issues. Two different dies, both new, and for some reason the hammers just don't seat consistently. ELD and Berger's no issue.

I think the raised ridges on the hammers make for inconsistent tension when seating so you end up with different results almost every bullet. I run all my brass through an expander mandrel first so the neck size should be pretty consistent but the seating with Hammers still gives me fits. Might have to try s Wilson seater or something.

Other than that they are great. Super easy to dial a load for.

That being said, has Brian Litz put out numbers for the 169 yet? There was a big difference with his numbers on the 177 and he is usually dead on....hope he has looked at the 169.

For those of you who have shot Barnes (TSX, TTSX, LRX) and Hammer bullets:

I have never lost an animal with Barnes bullets. Meat loss is minimal.
With Hammer bullets, from what I've read terminal performance is more profound and quick, but to me dead is dead.
My question, to those who have harvested game using Hammer bullets, with the 4 additional projectiles have you experienced more meat loss.

I believe both will do the job with no issues. I'm more concerned with meat loss. Interested in feedback.

Thanks

Pretty nasty to have that bullet ripping through a critter instead of exploding. mtmuley

I’m torn on these so far. I have a Accubond load that prints 1/4 -1/2 MOA groups. I’ve shot 30 or so Hammers and haven’t gotten them tighter than a MOA. I have 9 more loaded up at 3 different seating depths. If they don’t do any better I may just go back to Accubonds and call it a day.

I’m torn on these so far. I have a Accubond load that prints 1/4 -1/2 MOA groups. I’ve shot 30 or so Hammers and haven’t gotten them tighter than a MOA. I have 9 more loaded up at 3 different seating depths. If they don’t do any better I may just go back to Accubonds and call it a day.
Accubonds kill and kill well. I have used them since they were available in a few cartridges. Lots of animals from elk to bears to a wolf. The 200 grain .30 was the first Accubond released. Still my RUM's favorite. But, Hammers are gonna be loaded this year. mtmuley

Back