Hammer bullets?

I thought Scientists worked thru problems using science? I didn’t realize opinions on Internet forums was considered quantified research to prove your theory.

Dude, just shoot what ever you want.

What is the theory?
Will a 181 gr Hammer penetrate deeper than a 180 gr TTSX?
Why or why not?
I am curious which is more likely to penetrate moose bone?
Which is more likely to leave an exit wound for easier blood tracking of bear?
Or is there no significant difference based on data?

I have not used Hammers, but shedding petals is logically a good thing for a monolithic bullet. Most monos hold together a little more than I believe is ideal.

If I ever go down the mono rabbit hole, I’ll probably try Hammers.

Well, I’ve finally made the Hammer jump. I just couldn’t get E Tips to shoot consistently in my 300 WBY, so I’ve got a couple boxes of 181 Hunters on the way. I’m hoping load development is as easy with the Hammers as everyone makes it out to be. Excited to start playing with them.

Well, I’ve finally made the Hammer jump. I just couldn’t get E Tips to shoot consistently in my 300 WBY, so I’ve got a couple boxes of 181 Hunters on the way. I’m hoping load development is as easy with the Hammers as everyone makes it out to be. Excited to start playing with them.
If I can pull it off, anyone can.

Due to the fact that bullets kill by causing massive trauma, tissue damage and blood pressure loss. The more damage caused the more likely it is for a quick kill.
Hammer bullets are IMO the best option if you want/need a lead free bullet on the market and owned by a great guy who tests and pushes designs that work.
199g gel test.jpg
199 Hammer Hunter. 3400 fps muzzle, 3000 fps impact. 40 inches of gel. mtmuley

I'm relatively new to hammers. I set up a new rifle last summer in 280ai shooting berger 168s. Killed 2 deer and four antelope and the results were devastating , most destructive meat damaging bullet I have ever shot. Switched to hammers for the next three deer. Just as dead , all drt , all pass throughs with considerably less bloodshot. I am currently in the process of switching everything except varmint rifles to hammers.

I have a load for my 7mm-08 using 131 gr (actual weight is 134) hammer hunters. 3100 fps using my labradar. First hunt is planned for later this year and hopefully I get so see how it performs.

199 @ 3400 would knock out the shooter's ivories too.

I just found the thread on Hammer's forum. I think he says 200 yards.
Wow, that's a heap of energy.

FWIW, the recoil from the RUM doesn't seem as robust as a flinch producing 300 Wby I briefly owned.

I read threads like this and always come to the same thoughts.
Why can't we get factory guns in faster twist flavors?
Would a 1 in 8, 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag not fly off the shelves?
The biggest reason for a 6.5 creed is the new whiz bang 1in8 technology.
Not even a factory 28 nosler can handle a 177 hammer!?

I want to launch a 4" long cooper speer at elk and don't want an $1800 rifle.

I have a load for my 7mm-08 using 131 gr (actual weight is 134) hammer hunters. 3100 fps using my labradar. First hunt is planned for later this year and hopefully I get so see how it performs.
My son used the same in his Tikka T3X 7mm08 last year at the about the same fps and nailed a pronghorn buck at 400yards DRT.

Last edited:
I'd like to give these a try in my 270, wish mine wasn't a 1 in 10 so I could push the heavier ones.
Steve told me my rem 700 .270 with 1 in 10 twist can handle 130 to 145 grain Hammers no problem. Everyone here said to ask his recommendation so I'm trying some loads with 145 now. Haven't shot them yet tho, hoping for good results.

I have not used Hammers, but shedding petals is logically a good thing for a monolithic bullet. Most monos hold together a little more than I believe is ideal.

If I ever go down the mono rabbit hole, I’ll probably try Hammers.

Hmm. Call me ignorant, but I thought the whole reason for shooting monolithic bullets was that they held together and retained nearly 100% of their weight. If you want your bullet to come apart, just shoot a cheap cup and core, right?

QQ

There can be more than one solution to the problem.

Hmm. Call me ignorant, but I thought the whole reason for shooting monolithic bullets was that they held together and retained nearly 100% of their weight. If you want your bullet to come apart, just shoot a cheap cup and core, right?

QQ
If you just wanted penetration, Partitions did all that was needed. Most use monos to take lead out of the hunt - either by state mandate or personal preference for the food they feed their family. They also happen to be great penetraters, but that is not what drove their development or use for the most part. I use both - TTSX in most and then Hammer’s in a finicky 7mm08 and likely in my new 280AI - two great options, I use what shoots best, starting with TTSX first - others start with Hammers - great options either way that leave no room to argue lead is more effective for big game anywhere in the world in my view.

Back