Hammer bullets?

I’ve got a 338 win mag barreled action snowing up next week. I’ll probably grab a box of 213s to play with in that. Won’t be till the winter I’m sure is as I’ll have to figure out what kind of stock I want to put it in

I read threads like this and always come to the same thoughts.
Why can't we get factory guns in faster twist flavors?
Would a 1 in 8, 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag not fly off the shelves?
The biggest reason for a 6.5 creed is the new whiz bang 1in8 technology.
Not even a factory 28 nosler can handle a 177 hammer!?

I want to launch a 4" long cooper speer at elk and don't want an $1800 rifle.

If Winchester has released the .264win mag with a 1 in 8, we would be having a whole different 6.5 convo now.

There it is. mtmuley

That is with N555 powder. Stuff shoots better thanH4350 & RL16 and is a hair faster with more case neck available for seating.

If it works well in the 260 or 243 I’m afraid it may become like N570 for availability.

That is with N555 powder. Stuff shoots better thanH4350 & RL16 and is a hair faster with more case neck available for seating.

If it works well in the 260 or 243 I’m afraid it may become like N570 for availability.
Glad it came together. I think I found a local source for N570. Fingers crossed. mtmuley

@mtmuley...

7mm-08 what would be a good choice for the hammers?

120, 131, or 143 in the hammer hunter?

Barrel is 1-9 twist.

Thinking of splitting the difference and going with the 131.
That's what I'd start with. The 143 is a pretty long bullet.

That's what I'd start with. The 143 is a pretty long bullet.

I wouldn't be scared at all to try the 120's either.

Going to try those 140 e-tips you sent me as well.

May just order a sample pack of 120's and 131's...worth it to give them a try.

The 120 would probably give you a pretty hot load. I'm shooting the 136 out of my .280, but I think Steve has changed the lineup a bit.

May just order a sample pack of 120's and 131's...worth it to give them a try.
Want some 140 TTSX? I have a box sitting around gathering dust, my .280 doesn’t like them.

Want some 140 TTSX? I have a box sitting around gathering dust, my .280 doesn’t like them.

Might take you up on that if the other 3 don't work.

This may be sort of a one-off type deal using the all coppers at the moment. My Dad has a tag that requires them on some of the property he intends to hunt.

Buzz, good advice above. I always reccomend to call Steve too. Great guy to talk to, top notch CS. mtmuley

Might take you up on that if the other 3 don't work.

This may be sort of a one-off type deal using the all coppers at the moment. My Dad has a tag that requires them on some of the property he intends to hunt.
I’m in Laramie fairly frequently, just let me know if you want to try them. Good luck with the hunt, should be a fun one if it’s in the land of the buffalo hippies...

@BuzzH when you start loading them they need a lot of neck tension. Take the expander ball out of your resizing die or if a bushing .004-005 is where you need to be.

@BuzzH when you start loading them they need a lot of neck tension. Take the expander ball out of your resizing die or if a bushing .004-005 is where you need to be.
I load mine with a standard expanding die.

I load mine with a standard expanding die.

I did that and the bullet had to have all 4 rings seated in the neck to keep it from moving. Where it needed to be seated just shy of the 4th ring you could pull and push on it and watch it move.

I did that and the bullet had to have all 4 rings seated in the neck to keep it from moving. Where it needed to be seated just shy of the 4th ring you could pull and push on it and watch it move.
I’m seated .025” off the lands with Nosler brass and standard RCBS dies, no problem for me.

I think HONEYBADGER was having a similar issue. Hammer CS is 406 261 0010. mtmuley

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back