Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Halibut,salmon, and cod fishing trip

brockel

Wife and I are thinking about taking a fishing trip next year. We’ve been looking at places in Alaska and a few in Washington. We aren’t sight seeing just want to go fishing and put some delicious fish in the freezer. Any recommendations on who to go with? Anything you’d do different next time around?

Going in about 23 days...probably gone a dozen times. I'll send you a PM when I get back with all the details. My guy says he's retiring after this year...but I've heard that a few times...

05B90B10-333F-409B-9839-047CADB3B5F7.jpeg
Off the Slammer out of Westport, WA. Lingcod and rockfish start at $165/day. Salmon and halibut fisheries are definitely more hit or miss or out Washington. Lots of last minute season openers/closers. Pretty light limits so maybe not a freezer filler kind of trip, but a fun experience I am glad I was able to get out to do.

Going in about 23 days...probably gone a dozen times. I'll send you a PM when I get back with all the details. My guy says he's retiring after this year...but I've heard that a few times...
Washington or Alaska?

Out of Westport, WA halibut is not open during salmon season.
Halibut gets paired with ling cod. I did one of these this spring and it was a lot of fun.
Or you can do a combo salmon/bottom fishing trip with the possibility of ling cod but sure limits of rockfish.
As someone else mentioned, salmon are hit and miss. I caught a nice king (by Wa standards) out of Westport last year on one trip.

Here ya go!
I've been out with Capt Gary 3 times. Three times I've been totally satisfied.
Last time up (2015), I took my b-I-l which sadly, proved to be his final fishing trip.
First day, first strike trolling and Capt Gary shoved the throbbing rod into the b-I-l hands! Thirty minutes later, he boated a 45 pound king!
Halibut, cod and rockfish!
Three days.
We left with 100 pounds of fish each.
Kodiak is beautiful, but the trip takes a bit of planning.
Best dates for salmon is late July, early August
Fantastic fishing!
Gorgeous scenery!

p.s. Capt Gary's boat record for halibut is 394 pounds! 😀!

Interested?
PM me for more detail.

I used to go to Yakatat,AK but now just go out of Westport. They're doing really well on kings right now and the coho are starting to show up. The month of Sept. they're allowed to fish deeper water and are running deepwater rockfish and lingcod trips targeting bigger fish. As soon as my irrigation water stops and my cows are gone I'm heading over for a couple days on a rockfish/salmon combo. If you really wanted halibut Oregon ports will still have halibut days through the summer and better crabbing. Coho are red hot now off Newport. I can recommend boats if you like and The Slammer with captain Rhett would be one of them. Meanwhile, I've put my niece's on 30 channel cats the last 2 mornings on Brownlee.

Just got back from a week in Homer AK. We had 2 trips out with mixed results. The first trip we did well on both king salmon and halibut. Nothing huge but put meat in the freezer. The second trip we got blown off with big seas. Caught a few small throw backs before the wind picked up and made the water angry. We fished Capt Ron of In 2 Fishing Charters out of Homer. Great Capt, worked hard for us. Too bad mother nature got the better of us on the second trip.

If you want a freezer filling trip, look into a tuna charter. Its a ton of fun and if you hit it right, you’ll come home with more tuna than you know what to do with

Seward AK is becoming a better spot than Homer for charters. costs more, but you hear about better catches and larger fish on that side than Homer's side.

Also, river fishing and snagging are in that area too when you're not on charter

Headed to Sitka the end of this month, my grandfather went there last year and had such a good time
(and lots of salmon, halibut, cod, and rock fish) he booked us this year… will have to do a write up if it’s any good.

We are really just looking to get into some fish we can’t catch around this area. Plus we love eating fish
I’d leave the cod in Alaska bring home the halibut and rockfish. In my experience cod are wormy as all hell. Just a thought.

Back