NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Gun vault flooring

mtmuley

I am on a project that has a gun vault, large safe door, built-in display cabinets with glass doors and a ton of storage cabinets. It is all done in walnut with a rubbed tung oil finish. My reccomendation for the flooring (concrete now) is a high quality tight weave wool carpet, low nap. What would, or what have you guys done? The firearms stored in this vault will be high end. I will be able to use any feedback to make a decision.Thanks, mtmuley

Carpet would be quieter and warmer, a free floating wood floor say bamboo would look great with you cabinetry. Good look and post a picture.

IMO carpet would add fibers into the area when walked on and disturbed would hence mean more dust and debris on the cabinets. I would stick with something fiberless. Wood or just stamp and color the concrete.

Stained concrete in Montana would be chilly. I have stained concrete in home in Arizona and is great since feels cool in summer when is over 100F outside. In winter, is a bit chilly, though. Not sure would be a good fit in Montana unless have an area rug if you will be barefoot in the zone of the home.

Stained concrete in Montana would be chilly. I have stained concrete in home in Arizona and is great since feels cool in summer when is over 100F outside. In winter, is a bit chilly, though. Not sure would be a good fit in Montana unless have an area rug if you will be barefoot in the zone of the home.

In floor heating solves that issue :)

I was also thinking that since the firearms the vault is built for will be, let's say, very high quality, carpet would add a measure of protection if one happened to contact the floor. I like the warmness aspect also. mtmuley

Humidity in a basement is the biggest issue for firearms. Assuming that's under control, I would think them about what happens on carpet when a small screw, firing pin or other item falls.You also would need to think about the grease, wood oils, etc that will be in the room for maintenance A tight weave wool carpet should be ok but will stain after a few years. I would prefer wood flooring or concrete. In floor heating, as suggested above, would be nice if the budget allows. If not, a good wool knap area rug would be a good solution as well, and easily replaceable.

Sounds like a fun project.

short, dense wool carpet has got to be about perfect. , High end guns often will have metal, horn or no butt-plates, so you don't want a hard surface for the invariable "lean ups" that happen when you are handling guns. I had a piece of wool carpet that was leftover from a job, that was on the floor of my "gun area" for about 8 years of very hard use. Easiest cleaning, best wearing floor covering I ever saw. Wool carpet is in a category all it's own. It is also about the only thing I can think of that will not take away from the classy look of walnut.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back