Restoring a really really old gun and getting to fire again

You took an old cheap shotgun that had degraded to junk level, applied an incredible amount of skill, patience and ingenuity, and ended with a with a labor of love and a shotgun now destined to be a family heirloom! That was very enjoyable to follow along, thanks.

That's a labor of love. Incredible transformation, and we all know it's not about the money. I know it's not original, but I was hoping to see you learning about case hardening when you got to to the receiver.

Amazing job brother. I love seeing restorations of just about anything but I enjoy it more when it involves a firearm.

I don't know where it says you can't post youtube videos but the rest of us do it all the time. Heck every Friday we have a multi page thread that is nothing but youtube videos. I even posted another hunting one that was relevant to a broader conservation topic. What you're doing is certainly to the rest of us. Please post away, if it's against the rule @Big Fin can kick me off instead of you.

You and I appear to be opposite people.
You are clearly detail oriented, I'm more of a "rustic" guy as my wife would say
You are good with tools and with you hands... I am too if the tool is a knife and the job is cutting up a critter, outside of that I'm lost
You clearly have tons of patience, I don't start projects that can't be completed that same day.

Keep up the posts they are truly fascinating.

I don't know where it says you can't post youtube videos but the rest of us do it all the time. Heck every Friday we have a multi page thread that is nothing but youtube videos. I even posted another hunting one that was relevant to a broader conservation topic. What you're doing is certainly to the rest of us. Please post away, if it's against the rule @Big Fin can kick me off instead of you.

You and I appear to be opposite people.
You are clearly detail oriented, I'm more of a "rustic" guy as my wife would say
You are good with tools and with you hands... I am too if the tool is a knife and the job is cutting up a critter, outside of that I'm lost
You clearly have tons of patience, I don't start projects that can't be completed that same day.

Keep up the posts they are truly fascinating.

The admin deleted all of my posts and then sent me a private message telling me that I cant post YouTube videos here. He included this link from 2013. Since he deleted my posts containing YouTube videos and then sent me a message telling me not to post videos of the stuff I do here (even though none were commercial but rather instructional), I thought that was the norm here.

I love threads like this. Thanks for sharing. This is exquisite work.

Huh. That is really weird. I would have never guessed DIY firearm restoration was advertising. Maybe because you own an archery company?

Huh. That is really weird. I would have never guessed DIY firearm restoration was advertising. Maybe because you own an archery company?

My youtube channel with all my adventures and hunts and restorations and pretty much everything is also the youtube channel for my company so perhaps he fears folks with be drawn away from this page and his youtube channel and wont be able to find their way back here. The bulk of my videos do sell or advertise or promote anything and are just instructional videos. Im not in direct competition with this site owner or his company or his youtube channel but for some odd reason he must think I am.

My youtube channel with all my adventures and hunts and restorations and pretty much everything is also the youtube channel for my company so perhaps he fears folks with be drawn away from this page and his youtube channel and wont be able to find their way back here. The bulk of my videos do sell or advertise or promote anything and are just instructional videos. Im not in direct competition with this site owner or his company or his youtube channel but for some odd reason he must think I am.
that's probably it. I bet if you created a separate channel for just the DIY restoration stuff it would fly, but I don't know, it's not my platform. Still great still pics and tutorials.

Your first post was deleted because you directed everyone to your YouTube channel, a channel for your company. I received a series of reports from members of your videos and posts as being unauthorized advertising. Due to my crazy schedule, I didn't take time to look at the YouTube channel, other than I read that you own an archery company. So, your first post was deleted and I sent you a message that contained the rules that you agreed to when you signed up. Most companies that do such get more than deleted, they get banned.

It has nothing to do with competition with our YouTube channel; we get plenty of views. We help tons of people get started. We work with others who own YouTube channels. I work with other forum owners. We let all non-profit groups use this forum. We let a lot of start up companies use these threads for their business, if they ask in advance. Deleting links to YouTube channels that are owned by companies has to do with companies, pro-staffers, bloggers, etc showing up here and posting links to their platforms, which eventually gets to the point that members start complaining about all the threads that have blatant advertising.

As a side note, complaining about how this forum is moderated, when it is provided free of charge, is hardly endearing, especially when you own an archery business and you did not even have the business courtesy to ask permission to use this forum. I own platforms in the hunting space. I pay three other hunting forum owners for the courtesy of allowing me to post occasional YouTube video links on the threads of their forums. Same with a FB page that I pay for limited posting privileges. In the business world, that is the norm if you want your business video links to reach audiences built and paid for by other platform owners. Asking for permission in advance is something most would consider it a professional courtesy.

That is why your first post was deleted and you received a PM with the rules of this forum.

Last edited:
I do a lot of these. One fellow said I have a knack for taking $5 guns and spending a $100 and 40 hours to turn them into $15 dollar guns. He is correct but the joy is in the doing.

The joy may be in the doing, but I fear you may be setting up some poor bastard for a nasty surprise. One-hundred year old steel, of questionable quality, that spent 7 years corroding underground, and returning it to “serviceable” condition seems a bit irresponsible to me.

That's impressive, given where you started, but I sure wish I had seen this before you dove in. There are a few things I could have suggested.

Nonetheless, I am amazed to see how well it turned out.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back