Guide to Poaching on Your ATV

RockyDog

The recent poaching scandal (the largest ever) here in montana has brought my dislike of _at _azy _uckin Quadhunters to a new level.

Over a hundred trophy class racks, mostly poached it appears, have been found at the Ruth residence near Seeley. The Ruths were poaching and spotlighting off their ATVs on a network of illegal ATV trails for about 8-10 years. The illegal trails were all over a closed winter range, state land, and plum creek land. Amazing how none of their fellow ATV comrades never turned them in but it appears they all knew about it. There is an amazing article about this in yesterdays newspaper, as soon as they archive it ill paste the link in here.

The F&G seems to really emphasize the link between illegal ATV use and poaching. Geeeeeh? I thought they were just a tool to get from point A to Point B, and nobody went off road?

Ya its the machines fault alright
rolleyes.gif

Did ya ever stop to think that maybe they would have been doing the same thing in 4+4 trucks if there was no such thing as a atv?
They are friggin bone head idiots. with or without atv's
that falls right into the same argument gun control people spout all the time. Do you think guns should be banned? Or have more restrictions?
Guns don't kill people, people kill people!
Ata's don't poach, dumb stupid bone head idiots poach!!
mad.gif

You can't reasonably support one argument and not the other without looking like a fool
footinmouth.gif

They could have done this from snowmobiles on the winter range. The machine didn't pull the trigger. It was just another tool in the illegal activity just like the gun, or the two way radio or the 4x4 pickup. Gez, get a grip.

Crimes of this kind are way too easy to pull off on a quad. Plus, you can access areas that are more remote and have a lesser chance of being seen/caught.

So, no it isnt the atv pulling the trigger, but is sure does give them added opportunity.

Of course I wouldnt expect anybody from the "its not the atv doing the poaching" crowd to grasp such a complex thought.
confused.gif

Poaching is a piece of cake, they best place to do it is right off a forest service road.Not to mention a main highway.. hauling a buck or bull 2-20miles on an atv is giving to much time for people to see this... If I was to poach it would be right off a main road. could pretend like I am changing a tire or something.. you can hide a animal in the truck/car alot easier than you can on a ATV

SO I will have to disagree with ya...

But Micheals logic is correct, guns also makes it easier to poach, so we could bann those as well....

Well Rockydog what if they were on horse or maybe pickup . Are we stupid enough to put a BAN on them to.

I have bad knees, my mother & father both have already had total knee replacement on both knees, so I try to take care of what I have. I can hike back in the woods but when it comes to draggin somthing out I want last long .

So in your book I should stay out.

Meathead, I hate not to be compassionate... but you are right. Can't let everybody have free range in the woods, just because their health, age, disabilities keep them from getting in there. If I hurt my knees, I won't expect any pity party on ATV use in the forest.

Don't my tax dollars pay for this land just as much as yours. I'm not wanting to go on a joy ride and I don't ride it in hunting. These lands are kept up by all tax paying people not just the good healthy ones.

Delw, I disagree, its alot easier to get away with poaching, on the scale mentioned in that article, with a quad. Particularly in the country in question, around Seeley Lake MT. Its remote and your odds of being seen on a renegade atv trail are about nill. It would be much riskier in a truck on a more main road. You see, in MT, we still stop if we see someone having trouble on the road, unlike AZ. Also, these guys arent transporting the whole animal, they're transporting just a head and rack. They aint doing it for the meat.

They lived in an area where they never had to hit a highway, they could take all dirt roads and fly by any vehicles they saw at 40+ mph. Even if someone saw antlers on the atv, they wouldnt suspect anything.

Bottom line is an ATV was a huge asset to these guys, who were operating mostly at night. They had the whole set up, including rifles with silencers. They more than likely would have poached with a truck too, but theres no doubt the ATV was a large part of their "success".

rifles with silencers are illigal to hunt with except in NM for varmits I thought....
when those people in MT break the law they really break the law ... your right about that in AZ very few people will stop to see if you need help....

Delw

MEATHEAD, please show me where the federal government guarantees you or anyone else access to all federal lands.

Like it or not, you arent entitled to a damn thing. You either cut it, or you stay home.

Look, I'm sympathetic to a certain point to people with disabilities I really am. But, theres lots of easily accessable land out there. I wont sacrifice quality areas and see them trashed so a small minority of "handicapped" hunters can get in there.

As far as having rights, why should your right to GAIN access supercede my right to LIMIT ACCESS, dont I pay taxes too?

MEATHEAD, I didnt imply your handicapped. If you cant pack an animal out without an ATV, well....hunt somewhere where you can. Everybody has to know their abilities, and you either cut it or stay home.

Besides, most people I see on ATV's are more than capable but they want the easy way out.

From the way things are going, I'd expect to be using an ATV a whole lot less, more and more restrictions and closed areas thanks to the abuse of them.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>wow, thanks for that clinic in gearhead logic. Are you saying you think poaching is good? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am in no way condoning poaching
mad.gif

I think when all is said and done the fish and game will probably have some 4-wheelers to use to catch illegal off roaders next year.

the people convicted should loose their rifles, 4-wheelers and any other gear used in commiting the crimes.

but their actions should in no way reflect on law abiding citizens.
hump.gif

Geez! Read the first post again! Illegal trails made it easy to get around at nite and use a spotlight. I'm sure they could cover much more ground with ATVs. They probably couldn't have used full sized vehicles on the illegal trails. I doubt very much they could have accomplished what they did without ATVs. You just don't find that many trophy animals standing close to roads.

Every poacher knows it's much easier to poach from an ATV because you can get back into more inaccessable areas and you have a great chance of outrunning anyone who discovers you.

Why were these poachers using ATVs? Because it was easier and safer for them to poach that way.

As for the gun argument: They couldn't have poached nearly as many animals without their ATVs.

You think these are the only guys poaching with ATVs?

If it is legal you should be able to use it if you choose.

Using an ATV to get in or to get your animal out is no different that using your knife to gut the animal instead of using a sharp piece of flint. It is easier and more efficient. No different than using a compound v/s a recurve, using a rifle v/s a flintlock, using camo v/s bluejeans,etc.

That would be like walking 3 miles to the store to get a loaf of bread, instead of driving your car/truck.
rolleyes.gif

Not all ATV riders are abusive to the land, nor are they poachers.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-27-2003 18:36: Message edited by: FLIPPER ]</font>

I don't know about all states but in AZ you can drive off road to get your (killed) big game in most places so long as you don't go by a road closed sign or in a wilderness area. If you poach in AZ you will likly loose all hunting and fishing rights and they can and will take everything you used just ask those that were in the closed part of lake Roosevelt when they lost there boats and they were not hunting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back