MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Guide or resident needed for non resident to hunt in Wyoming.

Thats how the people enforcing it defined it, the game and fish. Its also defined in the term "accompany." Thats also how a guide would operate with a client.

I would expect to be risking a citation if i got more than a few hundred yards from a R guide. Clearly hard to enforce, and based on your post history, it isnt.

Im not the type of person to break regulations, even if i disagree. Carry on.
How many guided hunts you been on?

Do you think a guide has 6 people tethered to them when guiding that many hunters? Because each guide working for an outfitter can guide that many.

I've seen clients sitting in saddles, high points, etc. while the guide is off hunting with another client.

I won't be hamstringing myself or my NR friends being tethered to each other.

I can assure you, the worst thing a warden is going to do is give you a lecture if all the paperwork is complete. Ticket? Naaa I don't think so, more like chewed out, I've been chewed out before.

How many guided hunts you been on?

Do you think a guide has 6 people tethered to them when guiding that many hunters? Because each guide working for an outfitter can guide that many.

I've seen clients sitting in saddles, high points, etc. while the guide is off hunting with another client.

I won't be hamstringing myself or my NR friends being tethered to each other.

I can assure you, the worst thing a warden is going to do is give you a lecture if all the paperwork is complete. Ticket? Naaa I don't think so, more like chewed out, I've been chewed out before.
0. Have fun on your guided hunts.

0. Have fun on your guided hunts.
I had a great time on the one and only I did in 1995, a B&C dall ram.

I wasn't tethered to my guide either.

dall5.JPG

I am not a good sample size, but I know there's plenty of hunters here that have been on many guided hunts, but my experience with the 1 guided hunt I did was 1 on 1. I wasn't tethered to the guide, but I also wasn't hunting by myself. My guide was usually within earshot.

Wasn't there a discussion a couple of years ago about just hunting the wilderness as a NR and taking the fine and paying it? It's still cheaper than hiring a guide. 🤷‍♂️ If I remember right, that was shot down pretty quick by most because it wasn't the right thing to do.

Perhaps an illegally harvested animal could be considered poaching...?

If you can't get it done in wyoming on non wilderness I don't think being able to hunt the wilderness area is going to up your odds much. Could be wrong.
Depends on the hunting season/weapon. I would rather be in the wilderness area in September. Not saying theres not other areas - but theres a lot of habitat and not a lot of roads there.
But would you lose the elk your packing out as well?
I would think so. Typical of other infractions.
Perhaps an illegally harvested animal could be considered poaching...?
I think thats a bit of a stretch. But i wouldnt want to play with it.

Growing up in Wy, i knew of some people who got a stiff punishment from WyGF.

Depends on the hunting season/weapon. I would rather be in the wilderness area in September. Not saying theres not other areas - but theres a lot of habitat and not a lot of roads there.

I would think so. Typical of other infractions.

I think thats a bit of a stretch. But i wouldnt want to play with it.

Growing up in Wy, i knew of some people who got a stiff punishment from WyGF.
How is purposefully taking game animals illegally not poaching?

Just found out that a non resident needs a guide or resident to hunt in Wyoming.

What The Heck!!??

So much for the DIY on a budget that doesn't know anyone out there!
Yes. It is required. Just follow the requirement, or don't go. Pretty simple.

Reactions: Guy
If you can't get it done in wyoming on non wilderness I don't think being able to hunt the wilderness area is going to up your odds much. Could be wrong.
this is very true. most people griping about the rule, stupid as it is, would probably find plenty of elbow room in non-wilderness areas if they actually gave it a go.

There are a few key reasons why non-local hunters should consider booking with an outfitter when hunting in Wyoming, especially if they are inexperienced or unfamiliar with the area.

1. Safety: Wyoming is known for its rugged and challenging terrain, as well as its unpredictable weather conditions. A knowledgeable guide can help navigate the wilderness and ensure that hunters stay safe while out in the field. They can also provide valuable advice on potential dangers, such as wildlife encounters or inclement weather.
  2. Knowledge of the area: Local outfitters have a deep understanding of the land, game patterns, and optimal hunting locations. This insider knowledge can greatly improve a hunter's chances of success and help them make the most of their hunting trip.
  3. Compliance with regulations: Hunting laws and regulations can vary from state to state, and it can be easy for non-residents to unknowingly violate these rules. Outfitters are well-versed in local regulations and can help ensure that hunters are following all necessary guidelines and procedures while in the field.
  4. Better hunting opportunities: Outfitters often have access to private land or exclusive hunting areas that can offer superior game populations and less hunting pressure. Booking with an outfitter can provide hunters with a more productive and enjoyable hunting experience.
Overall, having a knowledgeable guide by your side can greatly enhance your hunting experience in Wyoming and help ensure a safe and successful trip. It is always better to err on the side of caution and seek out the guidance of experienced professionals when hunting in unfamiliar territory.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back