Griz gun?

Hof

I currently carry a Colt .357 Mag during bow season.... I have been getting the itch to switch to an auto, no real reason I guess except the weight and a reason to get a new toy. I am pretty sure I want the Glock 20 in 10mm, after looking at the ballistics this thing is a cannon! Some of the reviews say that the only reason it is not more popular is because of the recoil. I am not a small guy and I am sure I can handle it but I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this or other 10mm pistols.

Looks like with a little practice this could be a very effective Griz stopper and maybe a deer gun on occasion. 1300 fps w/ 180's.... way more umph than a 45acp.

What do you all think?

I totally agree. I have a good friend who has exactly one of those. I personally think they have less recoil than the 45acp's that I have shot. And way, way less than a .357 Mag! I am on the hunt for one also! Great gun and caliber in my opinion.

I love my colt.... but that thing is a brick. I thought it would be a cold day before I bought a plastic gun, but I think it is starting to cool off! haha

Putting on lots of miles might be a little more enjoyable with this lightweight cannon in a tac holster on my thigh.

Good rationale for a new pistol but I still like a wheel for quick use.

This.

You're gonna have one or two shots at most at a Grizz. Give me a heavy bullet with a wide meplat going around 1200 FPS.

The Glock looks like it would be a great carry gun in the woods though.

For me the term "griz gun" and semi auto are simply contradictory in nature. Semi-auto's just won't handle the loads that would truly be needed to turn a grizzly in a full on charge with one or maybe if lucky two hits. Certainly the Glock 20 packs a punch, but the variable in the woods which can affect the performance of a semi-auto pistol, those same things just don't affect a wheel gun. If using it for self defense from a grizzly charge, thats the last possible moment you need to have a round stovepipe, or faily to fully eject or simply not feed. None of these problems apply to a wheel gun. Just my .02cents.

Last edited:
Have to agree. A wheel gun will almost always go boom and it seems to me that you would need all you can get if something that can eat you is coming in a hurry. If you really want a new gun go ahead and pick up a .44 or even a .500! A shorter barrel cuts some weight and after the first few times of having it on your hip you won't notice it's there.

I'll second (or third) the use of a revolver - wide meplat and packing some punch - in terms of a Griz gun.

Both my Brother and Dad have a Glock 20 in 10 mm. It is fun to shoot, not super accurate but it's not bad (out to 25-30 yards or so). They carry well and they are pretty forgiving on brands of ammo. I've probably only put in 500 rounds between the 2 guns and haven't had jamming issues. I don't think it kicks any more than my Kimber in .45 ACP.

I'm not a huge Glock fan though, the angle of the grip compared to the barrel makes me have to think/adjust. I'm just too used to the 1911 frame.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one.
I'm not gonna speak for anyone else but I know for a fact that I can put twice as many rounds on target with a large bore semi than I can with a large bore wheel gun.
You might want to give some thought to a carry system that puts it up around your waist. A thigh holster is fine for a backup weapon but not for a primary. Also not real comfortable if you're covering a lot of ground.

Spray will always be my first option while I'm on my feet, but I did pick up a Glock 20 that will come with on backpacking trips in thick bear country only for protection around camp and while in my tent. Other than that its only a backup to my spray, which I sometimes carry 2 bottles of spray instead of a gun, so the lighter semi-auto option was it for me.

the reason for the thigh holster is so that I can access it all the time. When I have my pack on, anything on my waist is pretty much covered or difficult to access. I have carried the .357 on the hip many times but I never felt real sure I could get to it very quickly if I have my pack on. With the bino harness/ rangefinder on my chest and waist covered with the pack the thigh seems like the best place for it. I also have a bear spray canister on the strap of my pack.

As mentioned this is not really a "NEED" just trying to justify an auto. I have two revolvers but dont own an auto. I guess I did not realize that there was that much concern with reliability. The times I have used them they have seemed well built and have not had an issue.

JMO but the ''concern with reliability '' is based on the notion of failure and not fact.
The Glock has been around a long time and while there are real reasons that a guy would rather carry something else, the fact is they are reliable as hell.

So just for fun lets take the word Auto out of the equation. .357 Mag or 10mm to carry in bear country? 10mm seems to have the edge from what I see as far as fps/ knockdown.

7FB26918-FB4F-431C-816A-B9A5C3F2ECB7-4277-000003B94A3C7386.jpg

One of my favorite features of the Outdoorsmans pack, the waist belt can easily used with accessory pouches or holsters. One clip, and I can move my holsters to my daypack or pants belt.

C43D73EC-08E0-4B92-9E7D-FD516203D02E-4277-000003B93A27D54C.jpg

Another thing to consider with the Glock is lead bullets and the polygonal rifling Glock uses aren't reccomended.

If you can find a load that uses jacketed or,plated bullets that have a wide meplat, then it comes down to reliability. Never had a FTF or FTE with a Glock.

I have the ability to put the pistol on my pack as well. I leave the bear spray attached to the pack for use if I am moving. I like the idea of having the pistol with me on stalks and when I am calling. One of the guys that hunts by us called in a Griz 2 years ago and couldnt reach the spray on his pack... no sidearm and luckily the bear walked off. Hopefully I never need any of this stuff but I have seen way too many griz in the last few years to not at least be prepared.

I will load my own ammo so I should be able to make whatever.... ammo should not be an issue once I get my hands on some brass.

So just for fun lets take the word Auto out of the equation. .357 Mag or 10mm to carry in bear country? 10mm seems to have the edge from what I see as far as fps/ knockdown.

I understand what you're saying but the platform matters and it matters alot.
Your in a tent, its dark Mr Grizz is coming through the side.Do you want a can of UDAP, 6 rounds of .357 or a dozen rounds of 10mm?

Glocks are incredibly reliable. If they don't work, it's usually a recoil spring and/ or magazine spring. I trust my life everyday to a Glock, with no worries whatsoever.

Ben is right, don't shoot lead bullets in a Glock.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back