Griz gun?

I understand what you're saying but the platform matters and it matters alot.
Your in a tent, its dark Mr Grizz is coming through the side.Do you want a can of UDAP, 6 rounds of .357 or a dozen rounds of 10mm?

I am thinking that 1 round out of the 10mm would be the equivalent to 1 round out of the .357. the rest would be bonus, in the Wheel I have 5 left, glock I have 14 left.

Maybe I should just buy the Glock and start carying both! If one doesnt stop them then try the other!

The glock are prooven...go for it. Glocks even fire under water in case you get charged while your swimming with your glock.;) Not sure if a wheel gun can.

One thing I worry about on a wheel gun is getting my fingers too far forward on it and having the gases blow my finger tips off. That said there will always be a place in my heart for a big old hog leg.

When it comes down to protecting my family and self from grizz I personally would choose the glock in 10mm. I know I hit fast and well with a glock and that it will fire when I tell it to. I'm not as fast with wheel gun.

So just for fun lets take the word Auto out of the equation. .357 Mag or 10mm to carry in bear country? 10mm seems to have the edge from what I see as far as fps/ knockdown.

Heavycast Buffalo bore for the .357 is some powerful stuff.

stick your glock in a Hill People Gear chest pack. I do a bill drill [6 shots in 3.5 secs into a 6" paper plate] as my training standard. In bear country I wear it dawn to dark. It fits with any of my packs and clothing combos. The HPG pack solved all my pistol/ pack problems. It is also very subtle in appearance. I sure feel better with my glock on at all times.
Hanging out in G bear country is a rush just being there.
Mike R.

Most will shoot their auto's with more accuracy and have more rounds, so that makes sense to carry an auto. Ballistically, a 10mm is great. I believe the only auto round aloud to hunt bear with in some states such as mn. Can also match some wheel gun loads with an auto. Issue is when the bear is on top of you, chewing on my face, my wheel gun goes off. Most autos won't work with any back pressure on the slide, as when its snub up against the bear. Get a 44 and some bear spray on a chest holster. I attach mine my pack strap to it interfers with nothing.

As I have said before. "If you can't hit a barn with what you are carrying and have just filled your pants, it doesn't matter." You are a snack! Learn to draw from different positions, on your back, on your knees. Keep an eye on your back trail, also.

i make a suggestion,buffalo bore ammo,and your 357 will rock your griz and make him think twice before he wants you for dinner.
just make sure your gun will handle the round,because buff bore is not for older firearms.
just check out the ballistics,you will see what i am talking about.:hump:

I am thinking that 1 round out of the 10mm would be the equivalent to 1 round out of the .357. the rest would be bonus, in the Wheel I have 5 left, glock I have 14 left.

Maybe I should just buy the Glock and start carying both! If one doesnt stop them then try the other!

you might get one shot,maybe two at most,so 15 will not matter,if the first round dont stop the griz,you might not get a second one off.
and 9 times out of 10 you will be the bears dinner.:hump:

The glock are prooven...go for it. Glocks even fire under water in case you get charged while your swimming with your glock.;) Not sure if a wheel gun can.

One thing I worry about on a wheel gun is getting my fingers too far forward on it and having the gases blow my finger tips off. That said there will always be a place in my heart for a big old hog leg.

When it comes down to protecting my family and self from grizz I personally would choose the glock in 10mm. I know I hit fast and well with a glock and that it will fire when I tell it to. I'm not as fast with wheel gun.

wheel gun will fire,99% of the time,under water,under snow,as long as your finger is on the trigger,it will fire.
and if the gun is loaded,it will fire,you do not have to pull back the slide,all you have to do is pull the trigger,and it will go BOOM.
not so with a auto,to load it you have to pull the slide back.:hump:

not so with a auto,to load it you have to pull the slide back.:hump:

True, except I carry mine in a fully covered holster, which means its loaded 100% of the time. And the talk about them jamming/not firing/stuck in the truck door pocket are ridiculous. I've got 1,435 rounds through my Glock 10mm and have yet to have one misfire or jam. Even if I did have one misfire, that would make it fire every 99.931% of the time. Thats more than reliable enough for me:D

I also carry a .45 as bear gun, my .44 is just to large and heavy to be practical. Loaded with those big buffalo bore 255 grain hardcast bullets and +p loads they pack a punch out of my auto.

CCC

I used to carry my 44mag, but now I always carry my glock 20. The glock carries very nice and packs a punch when paired with good bear ammo. ie - double tap or buffalo bore hard cast. Holster options are infanitely better with the glock as well. I use a Blackhawk serpa duty holster mounted on the molle webbing on my packs waistband.

From what I gathered it seems like everyone that has a glock or has owned one in the past has 100% faith in them.

One question about the pressure on the back of the slide.... wouldn't the gun fire once with pressure on the back of the slide? It just wouldn't cycle correct?

Comparing the high end ammo for either makes them both look pretty awesome! Doubletap for the 10 and buffalo bore for the .357. btw...I went ahead and bought the Glock 20.... ;)

My .357 is stuffed with the buffalo Bore 180 grain hardcast at 1400 fps. I use a revolver cause I shoot it well. I don't care how reliable autos are supposed to be. My Ruger is a DA, and in a hurry up high pressure situation, there's no safety or anything, I pull the trigger and it fires. I want a 10mm auto, but my 6 gun will always be my woods carry firearm. Grizzlies aren't supposed to be where I do most of my hunting (they have been spotted from time to time) and if I hunted where they were more comon, I'd move to a .41 magnum DA 6 gun. mtmuley

I bought the Glock 20 last winter with the intention of carrying during the archery season starting this year. I have a couple other Glocks, and so far this 10mm is as reliable as the others. Not a single misfire yet. I like the idea of 16 rounds ready to go ( I will be carrying one in the chamber and 15 in the mag, with a bear coming I figure I may forget to rack the slide!). I seriously considered a .41 mag before I bought the glock, but so far am very happy with my choice.

I wonder what the odds are of anyone in this thread ever even getting charged by a bear, let alone beat up by one. 500,000 to 1? 1,000,000 to 1? :D

Not that I do not use my .44 as my blanky and always sleep with my head lamp around my neck when I'm in AK;)

I have a friend that got attacked and barely survived... He thought he was fine with just a rifle, unfortunately the Griz's first swat thew the gun a pretty good distance and he was left helpless. We had discussed carrying a sidearm and I even offered him my .357 for his trip but he refused. I know the likelihood is fairly slim... but I have way too many good things going on in my life to not at least try to be prepared.

http://www.bear-hunting.com/news.cfm?Action=News&NewsFlashID=589

Here is a link to the article about his attack on Kodiak Island. He was stationed with me in Montana at the time of the attack, has since moved back to Alaska.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back