Great Social Media posts?

I'll say it again, if you are shooting at animals a lot over 1000 yards, you'll see misses and bad hits. It's a fact regardless of how much you spend, tinker, shoot and hunt, it's just a matter of time. Been there, done that. And if you have been doing it a while, you probably already know the difference between a "recovery" to be proud of and a "rodeo".

I remember the last time I shot at a mule deer doe and the last time I bought a mule deer B tag - sept 2011. Was with an arrow, certainly qualified as a stunt shot, right before dark in eastern MT. I thought I was the just the shit until I heard the thud and knew I belly shot her. She sprinted down into a brushy broken ravine, didn't bleed, and I didn't recover her. I was blessed with hearing packs of coyotes yipping all night long and knew that little doe had one hell of a terrible last few hours. I've seen all sorts of rodeos, close and far, but hard to argue with the FACT that if you're shooting at game at 1000+ yards you're going to have to appreciate more rodeos than you otherwise would.

Hitting a little bigger than Half MOA target at 1470 yards has a large element of luck, I don't care who's shooting. Long range competitions with the best shooters and the best equipment in the world prove that. Good equipment and skill makes a big difference in probability but I'd bet the best shooters and equipment in the world have a hit percentage below 50% with cold bore shot at a half MOA target 1470 yards away.

I'm a rifle geek too but all the "look how far i killed this animal from" posts are a real bad look. Anyone who's shot a bunch at that distance knows they are taking a shot with a high probability to miss or wound. Just because most hunters suck at shooting and many miss/wound with easy shots doesn't make it right. At least the shitty shooting hunters are taking shots where the factors at play are even possible of being mitigated in a manner that results in a high hit rate.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back