Gravellys hunt, 2011

huntfishcamp

This was year #2 for elk hunting for my buddy and I, we spent opening week of rifle season in the Gravellys in MT...had a great time. We learned a lot last year, especially how not to camp (last year we had a dome tent, no heat, and snowstorm). We decided a wall tent would pay for itself pretty quickly vs lodging and time, also canvas camping is deep in our blood now, no regrets on that purchase. Last year we scored a 4x5 bull, and had a fun time so we decided to give it hell again this year.
2011 was a tough hunt, almost no snow, saw one legal bull off the road, before legal shooting hours of course, but I did manage to take a cow and feel very fortunate to take 2 elk my first 2 years at this game. Still LOTS to learn. We didn't see a lot this year but luckily I found a great deal on a .338 wmag (gunbroker.com) and it did not let me down on the only opportunity I had. My buddy had a wolf tag but no joy, saw some tracks, maybe next year!

Attachments

• tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 831
  • trees.jpg
    trees.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 816
  • rockys.jpg
    rockys.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 857
  • bulders.JPG
    bulders.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 872
  • more boulders.JPG
    more boulders.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 826
  • elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 810
  • meat.jpg
    meat.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 806
Last edited:
Nice job on the elk.

I spent most all of the summer and early fall in the gravelly range in 1993 working...its neat country for sure.

Grats on the cow. Great feasts to come there! Always funny how the darn bulls show when it is not possible to knock 'em down! :) Good to know you were in them though.

Grats again!

Thanks we had a blast, and yes she does taste great! We found a butcher shop just outside Ennis, MT, and the owner (Tanya) was great, shot it on a Tuesday AM, deboned it and packed it out, brought it to town that night (and did grab a hotel, some beers and hot shower, since it was right there!) and was all packaged and ready for us when we left the mtn that Friday. The wall tent worked great, we had issues finding an open spot Friday before opener but finally found one sort of out of the wind. Fyi if anyone is looking for a good deal on a canvas wall tent and frame check out reliabletent.com out of Billings, just saw our 16x20 with the aluminum frame on special now for 1399 + 50 shipping - little less than we paid last summer. Only downfall is its heavy but I guess they all are unless you go with Realite or some other synthetic material, (or obviously smaller tent). We scraped our $ together and went with largest we could afford after reading posts on this site, glad we did, now we have 4 or 5 others wanting to 'tag along' next year, of course AFTER the purchase was made, haha. Also really liked the specs on Cabelas Alaknak for the weight savings vs room if your packing in w horses..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back