Got to love Flint Lock at 35 yards

mdcrossbow

I put a nice 9 point down yesterday in Va. I hunted my stand on the edge of the field. Early morning doe's and turkeys entered and left then about 11:30 I hear a buck grunting but I could not coax him into the field with the bleat or gunt or antlers, I waited another half hr after I didn't hear him any longer and then made a quick move to a stand I set up 3 years ago across the field just inside the woods about 130 yards away on the high ground. I get in hit the bleat about 7 times and then a real raspy grunt call and as I was watching the hard woods to my right and field edge I hear quick moving movement and turn to the left and he he comes. Noise down and I had to turn and thinking he is pre-occupied I was able too get set. I could not get him to stop so as he passed a big popular I picked my spot on the shoulder {Aim small miss small} I fired and he piled up 35 yards. I walked down to him but 1st saw the blood trail and holy splatters I blew out the top of the heart with a pass though.
Jake is a big help.He shot a small BB thinking is was a doe in the afternoon after he returned to the farm from taking SAT's in the morning.

This will be Biologic next year, The back corner is where I moved to call the 8 over from behind me. 27 turkeys and 18 deer were in the field at one time on Friday afternoon.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc291/DHHawk
/CIMG0235.jpg

CIMG0233-1.jpg

Good Blood
CIMG0243.jpg

Good Deer
CIMG0244.jpg

CIMG0245.jpg

Jake's bb
CIMG0265.jpg

evening stand

This is another field to be Biologic next year, The center field is 20 acres of Buck wheat now which will go to hay for the horses.

CIMG0261.jpg

That is a great story and beautiful buck Crossbow!
The rut is really starting to kick down here as well. Unfortunately I am finishing another long day and I am not in the stand...

MD I would be on stand but I have to get some work out the door. That bucks tarsals were just 3/4' dark and not dripping yet so I'd say couple days it will be kicked in full rut.

Thanks all.

Great job and a very nice buck. I'll be hanging out in Fredericksburg, VA for another week and a half in case you could use a skinner/brush pusher/decoy. :)

Great looking buck!! The next two weeks will be nothing but good in the whitetail woods!

If you don't mind, what kind of plants are in the Biologic mix you'll be using?

Thanks All,

Right now clover and Buck Wheat, next year the 3 new fields will be ? Have to talk with the land owner. The 20 acre is getting hit with 30 - 60 doe's every evening and some bucks. The field is in the open to the road so I suggested with move to the back 2 fields and he said lets do it. I am so looking forward to next year. My son will be out of FUMA and not more breaking up time from hunts in the mid day. Mid day being my favorite time to work on calling in bucks.

Sounds like a great setup! Growing up, one of me dreams was to own/controll some property to do what I wanted to it for deer. Someday...

With 30-60 does hitting one field a night, how many do you try to take off the place in a year?

1 Pointer I can only get down there on the weekends 2 or 3 times a month. I am the only hunters beside Jake and the Land owner , He's not hunting much. So come shotgun season. I will be sitting in a pop up I brushed out last weekend to put some doe's down.

Good luck on the doe blasting! Sounds like a good place to hunt. Just something fun about a stack'em high hunt...

hey congrats on the nice buck...and with the flint to boot! those fields are perfect for bio plots w/timber/ditches around...and plenty of deer...ought to make a great area.

Thanks Duck, I decided to plant Clover, Buck Wheat, Winter Wheat and chickery in one field with a long row of Sun Flowers in one field and another field 100 yards by 60 yards sun flowers. Then we have a small field seated between hard woods and pines that I will plant the Clover, Buck Wheat, Winter Wheat and chickery. Got to wait till the snow melts 1st.

Attached is the farm. Top center outlined will be planed in the Clover, Buck Wheat, Winter Wheat and chickery
The bottom smaller fields out lined will also be planed in the Clover, Buck Wheat, Winter Wheat and chickery

The long field in the center will be hay for the horses and the smaller rectangle field about it will be Sun flowers for Dove and turkey.

Attachments

• grosv farm 3.jpg
    grosv farm 3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Is that a lake on the west side? If/when I get moved back to IN I'd love to buy/lease a place to do this kind of work on! Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back