Good, old movies for boys?

Lots of good suggestions here. I might rank Stand By Me as my all-time fave.

Two that I don't think were mentioned:
Never Cry Wolf
The Adventures of the Wilderness Family

It is hard to beat some of the old Disney movies. Good, clean family comedy like the Apple Dumpling Gang and Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again are as about as good as it gets in my opinion. Goonies, Ghostbusters, The Sandlot are great also.

Cheyenne Social Club.....Jimmie Stewart and Henry Fonda

Nothing says quality family time like a movie with two old coots inheriting a brothel. :D

Great movie.

I would also add:

Zulu
Red Badge of Courage
Moby Dick

I don't know the rules for watching movies are these days because it seems like I watched a lot of "violent" old westerns when I was a kid. One that comes to mind is Quigley Down Under.

I don't know the rules for watching movies are these days because it seems like I watched a lot of "violent" old westerns when I was a kid. One that comes to mind is Quigley Down Under.

Ain't that the truth. Something much different about the campy deaths in old westerns versus the gory stuff from today.

Plus, the morality tales were usually stronger (obvious racism towards native Americans not withstanding) - which brings me to:

M.A.S.H. - the series. I grew up watching that show and after watching it again on Netflix, it's clear that my parents had us kids watch it because of the lessons entailed. but that was during the golden age of TV when we had Archie Bunker, etc. A lot of what I believe to be right and wrong was pushed along by that show.

M.A.S.H. - the series. I grew up watching that show and after watching it again on Netflix, it's clear that my parents had us kids watch it because of the lessons entailed. but that was during the golden age of TV when we had Archie Bunker, etc. A lot of what I believe to be right and wrong was pushed along by that show.

Amen. I can't even begin to wrap my head around how many hundreds of hours of my youth I spent watching M.A.S.H. with my old man.

I've also been cruising through the episodes since Netflix put them up. It's held up remarkably well. Like you said, the moral direction throughout that show is something truly admirable, and something I haven't seen on TV or film since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back