Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

goat tag in 316

fshhntr

Howdy Gentlemen: As you probably noticed I'm new to Hunt Talk.. After way to many years I finally drew a goat tag in unit 316. So now begging for any info possible. Literally anything from the best roads to get there, trailheads to possibly start at on to anything else you can think of.... I've start working out for the hunt oh my god I didn't realize how fat and out of shape I am!! Also just ordered hopefully all the maps that I'll need?? Thanks in advance for any info you feel like sharing!!

Good luck on your hunt. I also have a goat permit this year and am trying to get into goat shape. AK Utah both have online goat sex quizzes. I have spent some time in your area but never hunting for goats. I would probably start in Cook City and check out the trail access from there. A 4 wheeler might be useful to get to the wilderness boundary. Horses could beneficial on this hunt if you have access to them.
Keep us posted on your hunt and post up some pictures of previous hunts.

Mountain Goat 2000.jpg

This my goat from 15 years ago in that unit. Goats can be anywhere that is steep, and there's plenty of that in that unit. :D Finding them on the right side of the Park line will be your biggest problem. PM sent

Last edited:
Spend time in Sheep Crk. just outside of Cooke, take the road going to the water tank, then walk up the old jeep tr. into Sheep crk. A lot of Goats will be in the park but like to spend some time in the Sheep crk area as they cycle around the Mtn.
Another area is Lost Crk./Cutoff Mtn. and Back side of Wolverine Mtn. right on the park boundary. Goats will also cycle around Wolverine Mtn. back and forth, in and out of the park. Just a matter of time. I took mine in Sheep Crk. in 2010. We were up there on the Fourth and spotted goats on Miller Mtn. but seemed to be a nanny/kid hangout. Good Luck, we are getting ready for a Sheep hunt in the breaks this fall, I think scouting and research before the hunt is just as fun as the actual hunt.

I really like it when a new person comes here looking for help with info on where to hunt and is never heard from again. :(

We spent a ton of time in there this year and saw tons of goats just not much that would really turn a guys crank if he or she wanted to hold out for a good one. I dont think we even saw 5 decent mature billies! Lots of nannies and kids and young billies with nannies but no real king of the mountain bad ass billies. In our travels we ran into I think four tag holders and know that two of the four killed real young goats. I was really quite fond of the district but after spending some time in there this year I think I would focus my attention to another district. I think its a great area and amazing country but the amount of good mature goats is slim with all the pressure for back-country hunters to goat hunters to hikers i think a lot of the goats stay in the park.

Update #1

Currently preparing my legs and lungs for what the Beartooth will throw at us. Had let my fitness slip away a bit the last couple of seasons but managed to get away with it. I know that won't be an option this year. Having done multiple week-long backpack trips in the area--I recall some serious fatigue just from on-trail travel. Let alone chasing a billy on cliffs and rockslides.

I have pieced together our initial plan. We will be heading in deep at the beginning of the season to set a base camp. I appreciate some of the PMs advising a hunt along the park boundary, but the allure of chasing the deeper goats is too much to pass up. As such, I am looking for options on hiring a pack string to get us in and out of base camp. If you know of someone who operates in the area, please recommend.

Secondly, I appreciate the comments about waiting on longer hair. But the first 8 days of the season works best with my own work schedule as well as my brothers. If we succeed, he may not make the most beautiful mount. But I've never been much into taxidermy anyway (this would be my first mounted animal) and I doubt shorter hair will do anything to dull the adventure or the lifelong memory of hunting with both my brothers.

Finally, if any of you Huntalkers who sheep hunt will be doing some final scouting during the beginning of September, we'd gladly welcome you into our camp. PM me for details and we can make a plan.

Since a post is less interesting with no pictures, I've included this snap from our visit to the Grand Canyon this past weekend. My wife the competitive triathlete is kicking my butt in shape.

Attachments

• IMG_4998.JPG
    IMG_4998.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Shit yeah man I can't wait to see this unfold. I love the idea of getting in some real no man's land. Good luck to you and your brother as far as the pack string goes I believe the guy outta Cooke is Absaroka Beartooth Outfitters not sure if he'd help but I bet if he doesn't a local with horses would they're great people up there. I'll keep you posted on the couple scouting trips we do. Good luck if you find mr double broomer please do share........ with a p.m.

Update #1

Currently preparing my legs and lungs for what the Beartooth will throw at us. Had let my fitness slip away a bit the last couple of seasons but managed to get away with it. I know that won't be an option this year. Having done multiple week-long backpack trips in the area--I recall some serious fatigue just from on-trail travel. Let alone chasing a billy on cliffs and rockslides.

I have pieced together our initial plan. We will be heading in deep at the beginning of the season to set a base camp. I appreciate some of the PMs advising a hunt along the park boundary, but the allure of chasing the deeper goats is too much to pass up. As such, I am looking for options on hiring a pack string to get us in and out of base camp. If you know of someone who operates in the area, please recommend.

Secondly, I appreciate the comments about waiting on longer hair. But the first 8 days of the season works best with my own work schedule as well as my brothers. If we succeed, he may not make the most beautiful mount. But I've never been much into taxidermy anyway (this would be my first mounted animal) and I doubt shorter hair will do anything to dull the adventure or the lifelong memory of hunting with both my brothers.

Finally, if any of you Huntalkers who sheep hunt will be doing some final scouting during the beginning of September, we'd gladly welcome you into our camp. PM me for details and we can make a plan.

Since a post is less interesting with no pictures, I've included this snap from our visit to the Grand Canyon this past weekend. My wife the competitive triathlete is kicking my butt in shape.

Watt21
I have the tag too, not sure if you are out yet but I will be going in a few times the next couple of weeks and have mules would be more that happy to help you get back in there if you didn’t tag one, if you did and are willing to share info please message me, I have been thinking of going in from Nye to focus more on the northern part of the unit

Back