MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Glacier NP trip

Went to GNP last summer, didn't have any issues with permitting. Maybe that was because the better half took care of it!!!! Gate keepers never even looked at permit when we went in. Iceberg Lake was closed due to bear activity the whole time we were there which was a bummer because that was out top of the list hike. All in all it was a beautiful area, peoply for sure but the more difficult areas were not bad. So much to see there, throw a dart at a map and go there!!!
Someone mentioned Devils Tower..personally I would skip that one.

It is ridiculous that they are releasing road tickets in one-month blocks. All of July on March 1st, for example. Last year they were released one day at a time, 90-days in advance. That worked just fine and I was able to get tickets for several weekends without it being a race to see who can click fastest. Releasing an entire month at a time serves no good purpose for the public, is just begging for your server to be overwhelmed.

Got my pass for the going to the sun highway this morning. Used both the app and the website, got through on the app first but then I checked and could have booked on the website about 9 minutes later for a different date but didn't.

We ended up booking a hotel in Waterton, the choices were pretty limited on the U.S. side but actually had a couple choices on the Canada side.

Was planning a trip out here but now see you need passes to get anywhere, of course they are sold out the time frame we are looking - is it worth going or look elsewhere ? I see the entrance pass is just pay as you go but any feed back ?

Was planning a trip out here but now see you need passes to get anywhere, of course they are sold out the time frame we are looking - is it worth going or look elsewhere ? I see the entrance pass is just pay as you go but any feed back ?
There are some passes released 3 days prior and if you grab them First thing in the morning. Look at Arriving early or late.
  • May 26 through September 10 reservations are required for west side entrances including the North Fork, Camas and West Entrance from 6 am to 3 pm.
  • July 1 through September 10 reservations are required for east side entrances including Many Glacier, Two Medicine, and Going-to-the-Sun Road from Rising Sun from 6 am to 3 pm.
  • Visitors entering the park in a vehicle or on a motorcycle during these dates need two things: (1) A vehicle reservation OR service reservation and (2) Park Entrance Fee OR valid Park Pass (Annual, Senior, Military, etc.). See all qualifying Entrance Fees and Passes.
  • The park is open 24/7 and visitors may enter the park before 6 am or after 3 pm without a vehicle reservation. Learn more about visiting without a reservation.

This is the key to access without having a reservation. Get a standard park pass early and stay close the night before you want to go. Get in the park and enjoy the place before the Tourons get thick. Once they get too thick, find a spot to hike (most don't go far from the parking lot) or go find something outside the park to do.

You can book an event like a boat tour and skip the reservation system

Also 24hr entry passes can be bought at 8am eastern the day before you arrive thru recreation.gov. They sell extremely fast for the weekend so being on a computer with fast internet will help. I just looked I can buy a ticket for tomorrow and there are over 500 available so middle of the week is your best bet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back