Caribou Gear

Glacier National Park

Bwana

Will be heading out there on July 29th with the family in tow for some much needed R&R but given we have never been there I thought I would ask for input from you folks on must-do places, to include trails, places to see critters, eateries, etc.

We will be staying at Hungry Horse as the park was out of rooms when we started looking 4-5 months ago.

Any suggestions?

Go up to Polebridge one day and eat lunch at the Polebridge Mercantile.

!!!WARNING - STAY AWAY FROM THE PACKER'S ROOST!!!

Only spent two days up there last week and it is amazing. And I'm not a real big fan of national parks. If you drive the going to the sun road start early drive all the way to the visitor center and do hikes on the way down. Parking and road construction can create delays but there is not bad view if you get delayed.

Glacier is incredible. This was from my first trip there, taken last year.

Attachments

• DSCN0156.JPG
    DSCN0156.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 724
  • dscn0153.jpg
    dscn0153.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 709
  • DSCN0158.JPG
    DSCN0158.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 718
  • DSCN0163.JPG
    DSCN0163.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 713
  • DSCN0171.JPG
    DSCN0171.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 696
If you have time go on up to Waterton. There's a nice campground in town right on the lake. Don't miss having tea at the Prince Of Wales Inn.

Avalanche lake is a nice family hike, about 3 miles if i remember correctly. Could be bears in the area so be prepared!

Additional information I should have provided initially, there will be three kids ranging from 10 - 17 years of age and as far as how long of a hike, I'm not familiar with the terrain but the youngest has been doing up to 8 miles in the badlands here for the past couple of years without much problem. I'm thinking the limiting factor might turn out to be my knees but have no intention of that keeping me from trying.

As for fishing information, I would love to give it a try so I'm all ears and if you would rather contact me via PM, have at it.

As a precaution, the bear spray has already been purchased.

Thanks for the information so far but keep it coming please.

Iceberg is pretty cool if you hit the trail early. After that, have a sidearm and shoot everyone with bells.:D

Two Sisters for burgers. Outside St. Mary's is a simple trail to Red Eagle Lake. Great trout fishing and the scenery is hard to beat. Old man lake is also a really beautiful area.
At age 21 I backpacked for a bit over a month (260 miles) in that beautiful country. I started in East Glacier at the train stop packed up to Waterton Lakes and then back down the west side to West glacier and picked up the train to continue on. It was an adventure of a lifetime.

For driving, Going to the Sun Road can be busy though it is really pretty darn beautiful.

Last edited:
Girlfriend and I spent a couple days in glacier August of 2011.... Absolutely beautiful country. Would love to go back and do some extended hikes and overnight camping, but we stayed at the swiftcurrent motor inn and the staff there were friendly and helpful. It was my second time in the park but first time to Many Glacier, and I would definitely recommend you make sure to see Many Glacier. Grinnel glacier trail was a lot of fun and my favorite but there are a lot of trailheads in the area. Someone mentioned logan pass. Definitely do a little hiking up there. Lots of goats and sheep. There was a trail we hiked there that ended up being closed due to bear activity... I think it's hidden lake. Pretty decent shorter hike. Plenty of wildflowers and critters up there. Make sure to bring your spotting scope along in case you spot some distant critters from the road. I have plenty of photos from the areas we checked out. If you want to see any of those to give you an idea of what the different areas look like shoot me a pm. Enjoy the trip!

Newspaper reports three hikers injured via lightning. A good reminder to us all to mind the sky especially when up high.

Some really great places to visit on east and west side of the park. Overall, more animals will be spotted on the east side of the park, better scenery on the west side of the park, jmho. If you have a truck, you can take the North Fork road when you leave Camas creek and drive up the west side of the park, then re-enter at Polebridge, stop at the Merc and have a pastry, then travel to Bowman and Kintla lakes on the park side. Both very beautiful, but wouldn't recommend doing it in a car. Some great hikes around the lakes up to a lookout or two, and then stop at the Northern Lights saloon on the way out, also at Polebridge.

Hidden Lake at the top does get regularly closed due to bear activity, but is well worth the hike of not closed, drop over the far side and hike into St. Mary's falls, also very pretty. Turn north and head up to Babb and Waterton, stop at two sisters cafe for lunch, very good eats. Just enjoy Glacier and be safe, very rare to have a bear encounter, but they do happen.

Oh yeah, and if you have a concealed permit you can pack a firearm in the park. But bear spray should be fine. The goats around the visitor center are always pretty entertaining. Or you can forget the park and other tourists and simply leave hungry horse and drive across the dam and tour all the South Fork of the Flathead drainage around the Reservoir, also pretty country. Go up to Spotted bear and around the whole reservoir.

Thanks for the input folks and keep it coming.

Will have the pickup so side roads are an option. Have a concealed carry permit so will be doing so though all but the youngest will also be carrying bear spray. We will not be camping but rather staying in a very basic cabin at HH.

Regarding fishing; I don't believe you need to purchase a license as its a national park. Check on that though. Lots of bows and lakers in there, you can rent canoes if wanted. Fly fishing is my preferred method but I would highly recommend bringing spinning gear. Black and gold, red and gold, rainbow patterns all work well. No limit on lakers; ones with a forked tail.

Been awhile, but as I remember, the west side,swiftcurrent? then a real cool swiss alpes looking lodge,there we booked a boat ride around the lake, a ton of fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back