Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ghost Guns

America exists because the British model of God in control didn't work out so well. I'm a Christian, but I recognize that America was founded on freedom of, and freedom FROM, religion. Exalting the people who claim to be doing the work of God is as slippery a slope as any.

I never did that. You were supposed to understand that God would be in control of “government” only after the second coming. There will be no perfect “person” to run any system on this earth.

So C-suite at an insurance company is 44x more valuable a doctor, 250x more valuable than a nurse.
That's not how compensation works, but I am not going to defend bloated/pampered CEOS.

And back to the OP topic - I hope that SCOTUS picks up some of the more over reaching state laws and starts demanding the 2A rights are being applied by the lower courts in the same manner as the other constitutional rights they assess.

what·a·bout·ism
/ˌ(h)wədəˈboudizəm/
noun
BRITISH
  1. the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counteraccusation or raising a different issue.​

All I was doing was pointing to a flaw in the reasoning.

Sorry for contributing to the derailment guys. I'll move along.​

Barf. Almost as nauseating as the passive-aggressive "FIFY" comments. Pointing out that your comment is irrelevant because all systems fail on occasion isn't a whataboutism.

No, history is doing that for them. But you miss an important part of my point - anecdotes - yours or mine are no way to run a government.

I'm not relying on anecdotes. The data is clear that more people are covered and have access to affordable healthcare under their system than ours. By the way, your friend should have received just under $9,000 CAD for employment insurance.

And back to the OP topic - I hope that SCOTUS picks up some of the more over reaching state laws and starts demanding the 2A rights are being applied by the lower courts in the same manner as the other constitutional rights they assess.

I agree, it's amazing to me how much publicity some constitutional rights get but others none.

So let me get this straight, in MA your local police chief gets to unilaterally decide if you can exercise your 2nd amendment rights... and they get to ask your race...

and given everything going on in the US no one see's that as problematic?

1617987031531.png

Last edited by a moderator:
With all due respect, cut the condescending "math" crap. Not everyone in the 49% has good healthcare. Luckily, my mom and her side of the family is Canadian so I know for myself how their system works and how sometimes you have to wait for elective surgery but nobody goes bankrupt for the audacity of having cancer.
Yes, and you know how many Canadians lost health coverage from Covid pandemic?

NONE

U.S. Citizens...12-14 million.

Pretty tough for the U.S. to wave that big foam #1 hand....

I'm not relying on anecdotes. The data is clear that more people are covered and have access to affordable healthcare under their system than ours. By the way, your friend should have received just under $9,000 CAD for employment insurance.
More people are covered, and have access. You’d have to dive deeper into affordability than looking at the bill the individual receives. The care itself is likely also inferior.

“Covering” more people is not automatically better.

More people are covered, and have access. You’d have to dive deeper into affordability than looking at the bill the individual receives. The care itself is likely also inferior.

“Covering” more people is not automatically better.

Splitting hairs between the quality of healthcare (try even defining that) in the USA and CA/UK/EU means very little to the people who lack any coverage. Any one of them would take Canadian or UK healthcare in a heartbeat. Under those systems you pay in while you're employed and able to contribute with the knowledge that you won't be thrown under the bus if you lose a job.

Serious question, if the Canadian system is superior, why are northern American border city’s hospitals and doctors office parking lots so full of Canadian license plates?

I never did that. You were supposed to understand that God would be in control of “government” only after the second coming. There will be no perfect “person” to run any system on this earth.
I get that, it just seems like a cop-out. Government is all bad, because people are all bad, so government should stay out of people's lives and hope their badness doesn't inconvenience others. Just because there is no such thing as a perfect government doesn't mean that we aren't called to do what we can to improve things. And when people of faith drop the ball on taking care of the broken and forsaken, it falls on government to do it.

So is my daughter and a number of close friends and they disagree that the govt would help. Anecdotes shouldn't make policy.

Look at how wonderfully the EU is doing on vaccine development and rollout.

Anecdotes shouldn't make policy, neither should obscene corporate greed. Or plain greed for that matter.

What does vaccine development and rollout in EU have to do with Americas number one cause of personal bankruptcies? Comparing slow vaccine rollout to ripping people off for simply getting sick? Different topics.

"In fact, 66.5% of all bankruptcies are related to medical issues, either because of expensive medical bills or time away from work".

Serious question, if the Canadian system is superior, why are northern American border city’s hospitals and doctors office parking lots so full of Canadian license plates?
The same reason Canadian parking lots are full of Americans getting medical attention there for a fraction of the cost if they had the same procedures done here.

Or why there are/were blue-hair buses that went/go to Canada for prescription drugs.

Anecdotes shouldn't make policy, neither should obscene corporate greed. Or plain greed for that matter.

What does vaccine development and rollout in EU have to do with Americas number one cause of personal bankruptcies? Comparing slow vaccine rollout to ripping people off for simply getting sick? Different topics.

"In fact, 66.5% of all bankruptcies are related to medical issues, either because of expensive medical bills or time away from work".
Oh, come on now...you just need to take personal responsibility for getting cancer, dementia, or just bad genetics.

Its perfectly fine to have to lose your house, life savings, file bankruptcy, etc. to have to pay for your medical care...'Merica.

I agree, it's amazing to me how much publicity some constitutional rights get but others none.

So let me get this straight, in MA your local police chief gets to unilaterally decide if you can exercise your 2nd amendment rights... and they get to ask your race...

and given everything going on in the US no one see's that as problematic?

View attachment 180094

I don't see race listed on there? I see complexion. In my own household, of 4 Caucasians, we have four separate complexions:

1) Alabastor
2) Pasty
3) SPF Irish
4) and that one kid who tans like Hell in the summer

Here's one from two years ago:
View attachment 180080

The imagery in the Bravo Company ad is familiar. The whole "Patriot" theme is militia-speak 101 as is the tactical cos-play. There's a lot of money to be made off of this kind of stuff, and it's worth looking at how companies can advertise.

We didn't allow cigarettes or alcohol to be advertised on television for decades because of the imagery & message that it sends to young people. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to see the same kind of emotional advertising in the gun world.
I don't think the weekly inner-city shootings that are on the rise are militia related. Aren't those what we hope to prevent? But, we agree, gun control isn't the answer. Education and jobs are.

You're already paying for it. America spends over $180 billion every year for incarceration. Healthcare spending in the US is at roughly $3.8 TRILLION per year. The idea is to shift the cost into programs that break the cycle, not perpetuate it.
I understand the rationale. I just don't agree that "free" juco/trade school is going to work. It's far from expensive as is...

I don't think the weekly inner-city shootings that are on the rise are militia related. Aren't those what we hope to prevent? But, we agree, gun control isn't the answer. Education and jobs are.

No, but the rise in militias does have a corresponding rise in gun violence, and that's the cause dujour of the gun control crowd and I think a case can be made that manufacturers are helping fuel the rise through their use of marketing. The NRA went full idiot on this over the last few years, exacerbating the problem and that was funded by manufacturers.

But yes, pathways to the middle class are what is needed. Not more gun control.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back