Caribou Gear Tarp

ABC News Ghost Gun

2dogs

Our local ABC news affiliate ran a story about a month ago on an AR 15 Ghost Gun. They claim they ordered all the parts on line and built the gun in a couple of hours. They claim there were no questions asked by the vendors. They also claim there was no serial number on any part.
I emailed them and asked if the parts came from outside the USA. They have not responded to my question. Every lower I have seen has a serial number on it. The fact that they didn't respond is leading me to believe the parts came from overseas. Anyone else see this story?

Believing anything seen on any of the mainstream news channels could (eventually) lead to believing you own a certain bridge in Brooklyn.

I didn't see the story, but think that their refusal to answer your question probably gives you an answer in its own right.

Ghost guns are built on CMC machines or finished from 80% lowers. No serial numbers on the lowers. None of the other parts have serial numbers and can be ordered online and Shipped to your door.

Yup but you have to have somewhat level of machining ability to finish it off. I am not saying it is hard but I would guess 80% of the public out there wouldn't have a clue on how to run a simple drill press to finish a 80% lower out.

Ghost guns are legal as long as they are not bought or sold correct?

I think it varies by state but for most states that's correct. If you complete an 80% lower, you are allowed to own the gun but you can never sell or transfer it. I'm not sure what happens if you die for instance or what the legality is of passing it on in that circumstance.

Believing anything seen on any of the mainstream news channels could (eventually) lead to believing you own a certain bridge in Brooklyn.

I didn't see the story, but think that their refusal to answer your question probably gives you an answer in its own right.

Wow!

You can sell after you put a serial number on it. Also it isn't uncommon for old guns to not have a serial #, I've bought and sold several.

A license is not required to make a firearm for personal use BUT a license is required to manufacture a firearm for sale.

A license is not required to make a firearm for personal use BUT a license is required to manufacture a firearm for sale.

This is true. But the ATF, in all of its noble benevolence, wrote the rules with the word "intent" in them. If you make a firearm with the intent of selling it you need a federal manufacturing license. If you make an arm for personal use but one day decide to sell it that's OK.

Our local ABC news affiliate ran a story about a month ago on an AR 15 Ghost Gun. They claim they ordered all the parts on line and built the gun in a couple of hours. They claim there were no questions asked by the vendors. They also claim there was no serial number on any part.
I emailed them and asked if the parts came from outside the USA. They have not responded to my question. Every lower I have seen has a serial number on it. The fact that they didn't respond is leading me to believe the parts came from overseas. Anyone else see this story?

Didn't see the story, but it doesn't sound like there was anything dishonest in it from what you've stated and the other member's responses are spot on in regards to a person ordering the parts and building one themselves. They even sell the machine to do the milling, but I believe they cost upwards of $7K.

One only needs to buy the jig/few drill bits (around $100), an 80% lower (under $100) and a drill press along with a tiny bit of knowledge/skill and most any Bubba can complete a functional AR15 lower.

This is true. But the ATF, in all of its noble benevolence, wrote the rules with the word "intent" in them. If you make a firearm with the intent of selling it you need a federal manufacturing license. If you make an arm for personal use but one day decide to sell it that's OK.

Thank you for saying it so I did not have to.

I've always wanted to build one just for giggles, but if you're really serious, you can build an ak-47... Out of a shovel

Apologies for the advertisement on the link, the original images are down so I had to find it on imgur.

Last edited:
Back