The Young Man's Way

Hatchie Dawg

I harvested my second elk and first bull in 2015. The hunt was my fourth altogether and truthfully almost a religious experience. The hunt was solo and the details are recorded on this site, but generally at that time, my mindset was such that I was going to throw myself against the task of harvesting a bull until it happened. I really had no particular ability other than a willingness to go and go I did. Truthfully, I pushed a bit too hard, didn't have stock that year and needed help from new friends for extraction of the meat and antlers. The Seek Outside guys rallied a crew to get me and the elk off the mountain in good shape. They didn't know me from Adam. Looking back, their help and friendship has been one of the best parts of the whole experience.

I needed help that year primarily because of the ground I choose to hunt. I look for country with elk that will weed out competition and in CO that generally means steep wilderness. My first hunt out west was a third season hunt in CO and orange was everywhere. I swore never again. Honestly I kinda looked for the worst spot on the map where concentration areas and migration corridors overlap. It is only about 4.5 miles in, but Angie with Seek Outside described it as "4.5 miles straight up". That's not exactly accurate but you get the idea. The area reminds me of a bad girlfriend, the kind that is smoking hot but half crazy and maybe even a little mean. If you get close to her you are going to pay for all that beauty.

I was so proud after 2015 I said I was done and it really took a while but slowly my mind began to change. The fall of 2017 started looking like an option for another elk hunt and I really only knew one area. I could rent llamas as I had done on two of the three trips previous and return solo. The crazy hot girlfriend was calling, but unlike 2015 I was not burning with desire. The willingness to throw myself against the task just wasn't there. I needed a change, a partner.

My good friend and neighbor Pat who made two of the previous four trips with me out west would not be able to go as he was taking a new job in WV. The list of additional DIY elk hunters that I know in West TN is pretty short, zero really. So I was at a bit of an impasse. Then I remembered Lovie.

Lovie was about 15 when I met him. His mom worked at the same hospital as I did and learned how much I liked to hunt and fish. She said she had a son that liked the outdoors and that I needed to meet him. She brought him to work one day and I liked him immediately. He looked me right in the eye, shook my hand firmly and called me Mr Jeff. His manners were old school, something that is often missing in youth these days. To say Lovie liked the outdoors captured nothing of the case. He was more like consumed by the outdoors. He loved hunting, fishing and horses. We started doing a few things together and just went from there. Lovie killed his first deer and duck with me and caught his first trout on a trip to AR with me and Pat. It was cool to see him grow into a young man and to see his love of the outdoors continue to flower. Twenty three now, Lovie was living in Kansas training horses while his wife served in the military when I called him. Excited doesn't really describe his response. I had my partner and a much needed injection of energy for 2017, the young mans way.

Here is a pic of Lovie's first deer....one I've never topped by the way.

IMG_1991.jpg

and a few trout with Pat

SpringRiver2012003.jpg

I went through my standard prep routine starting in February after the duck season ended, again making use of group fitness classes at Gold's gym. Lovie was hiking the Flint Hills of KS under a pack and time passed. The only real hick up was a new Tikka Superlite I purchased for the trip that I couldn't get to shoot as well as I wanted. I finally gave up on the gun for this season and switched back to my dead reliable Browning A Bolt in .280 and a beautiful Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5 Swedish. They both shoot lights out and have never let me down. I sent Lovie resources to study including maps and links to Randy's site. I told him to read anything he could find on backpack elk hunting by Newberg, Warren, and Simmons as to me those guys are the most legit. Time passed slowly, then really fast at the end. Come Sept the guns were dialed in, equipment was ready and plans were set. But I felt I was not in the same shape I had been. The programing at Gold's had changed and I was not getting the same level of workout. With five weeks to go I looked for other options.

That Saturday I dropped in the local Crossfit Gym. I knew the discipline had a reputation for injury and even have a cousin who was in the business for a while but closed down his boxes because he could not control his members. He advised to stay within myself if I tried it. The local box requires a four hour orientation before you start so I did that and gave it a try. The coaches are great and keep a close eye on the members. The work outs are intense but the coaches stepped in more than once to modify my workouts when my form broke down. They did so for others too. So with the month remaining I did Crossfit five to six days a week. These people made me better. Here is a pic. I'm the tall skinny guy in the middle. The guy kneeling and the girl to my right are the owners. The fellow on the right of the pic probably helped me the most. I appreciate what they did for me. They have that hard mother kind of love and encouragement but you can feel it.

Untitled by jeff lansdale, on Flickr

Lovie's wife was transferred to Savannah just before we left so he made the nine hour drive to West Tn a couple of days before our departure. I finished up at work, reviewed gear, packed and we left 4am Weds 10/11 headed to CO for First Rifle. We would again pick up llamas from Antero in Salida. To say Lovie was stoked doesn't quite describe it. He was providing that enthusiasm I needed in large helpings, but I could tell he didn't quite appreciate what we were about to get into. Oh well there was time to learn.

Everything went well til we got to the trailhead Thursday noon. We had Tippy and Oblama from Antero. Oblama skinned his ankle on the way out on two exposed screw heads in the trailer that nobody noticed before we left Salida. We were stuck in town for the night until Antero could get us another llama.

Ate at a local brewery. Our bartender was going out second rifle with her boyfriend for her first elk hunt. She said she was pretty good with her .308.

Untitled by jeff
lansdale
, on Flickr

Antero got us a replacement that night and we prepared to go up first thing am. It would be Tippy and Juniper.

Ascent went well. Lovie soon learned what he was up against. A mile in he was asking how much further and two miles in he was out of water. I shared my water and we kept on plugging. I made a mistake in following a side trail to water and didn't realize it. A 3-4 hour trip ended up taking 5 hours. A dumb mistake.

Forgive me for the blur.

My Paradox the original Seek Outside pack.

Eventually made the top and to camp in the usual spot. We were exhausted but got water and glassed for opening day. There was a lot of bear sign and a little elk sign, but we saw no animals. I had Lovie a couple of spots near camp as he needed to recover a bit. I made plans for the meadow where I killed my first bull, about a mile away and over a ridge from the trail. We were set and ready to go.

Last edited:
Opening day found me in my meadow and Lovie on a bench/saddle between two drainages. I actually made it over to my meadow without turning on the GPS. Pretty good for me.

Nothing was happening and I dug in for the long sit. The wind was howling literally and I couldn't hear much but about 7:45am I thought i heard a low growly bugle from my left. Then I was sure I heard it. I'm not sure if the elk were taking the opportunity to bugle when the wind was down or that's just when I could hear them, but I started hearing 3 different bugles, the growler and two higher pitched elk. About 8:15am one of the higher pitched animals got closer and with all due respect to Big Fin I hit the Hoochie Momma twice. The next time he sounded off, he was definitely closer. I was in an evergreen tangle and decided I needed to scoot left so I could see that side a little better. I was tucked in tight but eased over a little and immediately saw a bull out in the open near the base of the meadow, down by those aspen on the left.

I didn't think the elk could see me through the tangle so I eased slowly into position as best I could. When I got set he kinda turned a little and looked back. I gave him another couples of calls on the Hoochie Momma and he laid his head back and let rip with a bugle. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I had to make sure I was not going to shoot a limb by accident trying to get a bullet out of the tangle, and trying to depress the muzzle enough to get a bead on the animal was difficult. I scooted a couple more times trying to get good position as everything seemed to take forever. After checking and rechecking I finally had a clear shot, could get the forend on a limb, and the bottom tip of the butt on my shoulder. The bull was at 176 yds, milling his way up the hill when he turned broadside. I remembered my first shot at a bull in the same meadow two years prior. I pulled that shot high, so I really took my time, got the hairs on the vitals and squeezed the trigger slowly. The bull hunched as they seemed to do but otherwise stood there. I wish I could say I calmly sent a follow up shot his way, but in reality I sped up a bit. Truth told I sent a total of four shots at him, hitting him twice, the first and second I believe. He ended up taking about 5 steps, turned downhill and tumbled forward. I couldn't believe it. I had another bull. Pent up energy, excitement, and resolve for the long hunt burst from me as I shouted at the top of my lungs and raised both fists into the air. The mountains echoed with celebration.

My hide

An honest rifle

As he lay. My elk always seem to end up in some grotesque position. Maybe a comment on the steepness of where I hunt.

I usually practice the gutless method but with the elk on his back and not much keeping him from tumbling further into the hole, I field dressed him and started out for Lovie and the llamas. Lovie had heard me shoot and was sky high when I got back to camp. He organized everything, got the llamas saddled up and was ready to go in no time. Again the young mans way, giving his energy to the cause.

We went right to work after a couple of pics. We both worked hard. Even with the llamas, not sure I could have got it done without Lovie.

Got the meat back to the trail, not camp mind you, about 4:30pm. We were both exhausted.

Now the focus turned to my partners hunt. He earned it in every way.

Last edited:
We were both too tired to recount much but Lovie decided to hunt the same meadow I had hunted opening day. It is a good spot and I thought it reasonable even after the harvest. Lovie was adjusting to the country and starting to get his feet under him. The first couple of days he was getting turned around and struggling with the GPS. He made it to the meadow next morning without difficulty while I glassed different basins from camp. Lovie made it back mid morning and hadn't seen or heard anything. He was a little down until we heard a bugle below us. We started looking and about 15 cows and a bull or three were at about 700yds.

At that same time a young man walked right into camp. I had never seen anyone up there so it was kind of a surprise. He was slim, not breathing hard, and put together in that western mountain kinda way. Cody was soft spoken giving me the impression of a quiet competence and confidence that got my attention. He explained he was camping with his family one basin over. We had seen their horses in the distance but didn't expect anyone to make the walk up. Cody really hurt my feelings then when he explained his sister and wife were with him just down the trail. I explained we had just seen these elk and were planning to make a move on them. He answered with "we will back off then", and went to retrieve his sister and wife before they made a move independently. He returned shortly with his ladies, who were way to pretty to be as tough as they obviously had to be. We again spoke briefly, then Cody said they were moving on to higher country. He wished us luck and disappeared up the trail. I will remember Cody a long time, quiet, courteous and I would bet my last dollar more than competent. Basic decency, that old ethic so many of us learned in youth has not died completely in the American West.

Lovie went down the trail and tucked into the tree line above the elk. I settled in to glass.

The day passed, when another guy walked into camp. Good grief!! This guy was older and looked like a picture from the magazines I read as a kid. He had a cowboy hat on with an orange stripe around it and carried a stainless Model 70. Turns out he was Cody's dad, Dirk. He didn't know his kids had passed that way. It was plain to see where Cody got his manners. I told Dirk what a good impression his son made and he softly said "Praise God". I asked then if they were Christian. He answered yes. I told him it showed on his boy. He again answered with "Praise God", not the kind of answer or words you would hear on TV or some self righteous statement for show but humble thanks. I'm glad I met these people and experienced a powerful example of faith and decency.

Lovie hung on the edge of the meadow until the thermals hit the back of his neck, when he wisely eased out. From the ridge I saw him disappear into the timber line. It wasn't long after til a shot rang out and echoed through the mountains. I got my kill kit and waited for Lovie to appear. Shortly I saw him coming up the trail. He said he had run into a small herd after entering the trees. We had either sex tags so he took a rest against a tree, picked out a big cow at about 80yds and took a shot. I asked if he felt good about it and he did, but she had run off with the herd. I worried a little but didn't let it show. We headed quickly down the mountain to the spot of the shot and started looking for sign. I'll make a long story short here in that we looked for a long time and looked even into the night without one sign of a hit or animal. I honestly think it was a clean miss. The enthusiasm that was so important to the success of my trip and keeping me going had come back to haunt Lovie. He was beside himself. I could do little to console him. We walked quietly back to camp, reviewed the day a bit and pitched in. Tomorrow I would get the meat out.

Last edited:
Great write up. Congrats on your well earned bull. Good on you for taking the young man under your wing and showing him the way not only in hunting but in life.

So we were to the third day of a five day season. I needed to get the meat down and Lovie was getting more comfortable in navigating the country. I couldn't get down and back in a day so if Lovie wanted to hunt he would have to stay by himself. He wanted to do just that. I was a little uneasy but had to admit he was really getting the hang of things. He was heading down again that Monday morning when we discussed things. He had a SPOT and a cell phone that ot reception up top. I told him I wanted to hear from him morning and night, that he was ok. He left me in camp and I eventually readied the llamas. Down the trail towards the first meadows I ran into Lovie. He had been into elk again but didn't have the perfect shot and after the previous night he didn't rush or take a bad shot. I got down to the meat and noticed a bag had been torn open. Large pieces of grind meat had been removed. I wasn't sure what had got it but wasted no time in loading and getting down the trail. About three miles down I ran into three guys coming up the trail. They were loaded heavy and looked miserable. They said they were looking for a place not many people were hunting and had been steered this way. They said at this point they would take a cow. I told them I would take a cow any day in this country. They looked surprised but would learn. I told them I had a partner up top and I hoped they would respect our camp. We parted ways and I made it to the trailhead in two hours total.

I got a room in town and worked on de-boning the meat and taking care of the llamas. It got late and I had not heard from Lovie. I got worried but eventually got a call from camp. He had seen the new guys making camp below us, went down to get them and brought them up to our campsite. He said it was better to have everyone accounted for and I really couldn't argue with that. I felt better that he had someone with him. They had seen elk again from camp but didn't get a shot. Lovie said they had plans for tomorrow and he was showing them around. Sounded good to me.

I finished the meat in the morning and grazed the llamas in a local park. A cop stopped about half way through and I thought oh boy I'm breaking some kind of ordinance here, but he just wanted to see the animals and the horns. Cool guy. I got a hold of Kevin with Seek Outside and he was good enough to let me store the meat in his garage. He was in DC speaking to the Wilderness Society but told me just go on in. Same old thing....good people.

I started back up the trail about 12:30 that day. Just before I got to the trailhead I got a call from Lovie up top. He had not seen any elk that morning. He said the new guys had packed up and left first thing in the morning. Said the country was too tough. So they spent about 12 hours up there. On the way back in that day, I met them coming down. They told me "Your man Lovie is an animal". When I got to camp I told Lovie that and I think he got a lot of satisfaction from it. I don't blame him. In a few days he had gone from the soft greenhorn to an old salt of sorts. He got a kick out of the guys leaving but we both understood and don't blame them. As we prepared for the evening Lovie slowly shared with me that he had "lost his spirit". I should have bucked him up right there. He had been doing the same for me since before we left, but I said, "Lovie this is your hunt now. There is one day left do with it as you please." He said he was ready to go. We packed up camp and left one day early. Made it down after dark.

On the way down

So we were leaving 1 for 2. Lovie wasn't going to come home victorious with an elk to talk about but starting from zero he had changed from someone that ran out of water and quickly got turned around to someone I could leave overnight in an alpine wilderness. A guy that was willing and skilled enough to go down to get guys new to the area and show them around then have them look up to him and brag on him when they got the chance. I couldn't have done this hunt alone again. My success was fueled by Lovie's growing strength, his willingness to go, his willingness to embrace the suck and get that animal to the trail, his young man's way. I really couldn't ask for much more in a hunting partner or friend.

So here kinda ends the 2017 elk quest. Once again I'm not planning on returning but who knows. Maybe I blurred out the sign for a reason. I'll keep the spot in my back pocket for now. It has been good to me. I'm 3/4 there and Pat is 1/2. Pretty good results for DIY public land CO.

A few random pics from the wind up.

Kevin Timm back from DC

A side note here. When we got back in the truck and left Lovie asked me if I had noticed Kevin's legs. Lovie said " He's built like a tank". I just answered with a yeah that's the way they are out here. It's true enough, same for Cody and his dad.

An elk hunter, atypical but solid

Horns

A successful team

Lovie says he is heading back next season. If it comes to pass, I wouldn't bet against him.

HD

Last edited:
Kansan thumbs way up!

I have always enjoyed your adventure stories.

PS: nice of that young man/others to clear off, and it was really super of you to share with his father of your encounter.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I'm not much of a reader, but I thoroughly enjoyed your hunt report. I'm also never going to make it into that kind of wilderness to hunt, so I really enjoyed your photos too. Congrats on your elk and hopefully you or Lovie himself will be sharing another report next year!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back