Get a new key or live dangerously? Poll

Should I get a new key?

• Yes

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 25.9%

• Total voters

DouglasR

Ok here’s the first negative jeep review.
As some of you may know, I lost my key fob hunting hard for squirrels last Friday.
Just called the the dealership and they want $185 for the key and $75 to program it.
Wtf?
Are you kidding me?
How can it cost $75 to program a key?
What a country.

Would y’all get a new key or just be careful with your one and only from now on?
I forgot the spare at home last winter so I guess it’s not that big of a deal.
I guess I’m just risking a tow bill to the dealership.
But it would be nice to have a spare hidden on the car somewhere.
It’s just an absurd amount of money for a key.

Does anyone know any cheaper alternatives?

You may be able to find a cheaper key, but not much. Call a local locksmith. I paid $150 to have a a key and a fob programmed. Dealer wanted $200.

The money you spend on a key and programming is better than the time and money you’ll spend for a lockout or a tow bill.

The money you spend on a key and programming is better than the time and money you’ll spend for a lockout or a tow bill.
You're just gambling if you don't replace it.

Every time I hit a wicked pothole or stretch of lumber truck washboard I wonder if I just rattled off the magnetic box with my spare fob.

NTM - for most of us (incl you) - the places you might be when you need a lockout/tow could result in a bill a long ways north of $200.

Gamble on it. I leave the keys in everything though. If someone steals it, it’s their problem now. The only time I lock anything is if I happen to be in town with guns in the truck which is about twice a year. That tells you how much I go to town because there’s always guns in my truck.

This is one of the benefits of driving an older vehicle. Standard key with no chip is sufficient. No one is going to steal a 1998 Jimmy with a different colored hood. Or break into it. "What could that bum have that I could possibly want?" I'll put the $200 to $400 for an extra key towards my next trip to Africa. And then there's the savings of not having to carry collision insurance. Big $$$!! Yeah, being a rich bum has its perks.

What's a spare? I like to live dangerously...keeps life from being to boring.
Live Dangerously Austin Powers GIF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back